How long until your stomach shrinks?

Options
13»

Replies

• mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and make sure you eat plenty of protein and good fats. I find that keeps me fuller for longer than eating lots of carbs.
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months to figure it out. I still have days when I'm STARVING AND MUST EAT A LOT! But maybe only 3-4 times a month. I dont buy the protein myth but I do recommend you eat as few "empty" calories" (no significant nutrients) as possible. These would be soda, white bread, oil of any kind, candy, etcetera. Eat AS MANY VEGETABLES AS YOU CAN! Fiber fills you up!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I am following MFP strategy of losing 2 pounds a week, and to do this,I need to take in 2430 calories a day,and I always try to take in around 2300. Not exercising yet until next weekend,that's when my gym membership starts.

Thanks for all the replies & advice

Can I ask why you aren't eating the full 2430 calories? You could be having a couple of extra pieces of fruit a day or a slice of toast when those hunger pangs visit. Staying under by such a margin won't necessarily give you better results and may be detrimental to your metabolism.

On a positive note... once you're exercising you'll have all those extra exercise calories to eat too. Trust me, it's the perfect incentive to keep working out to know you can eat more liberally that day!!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as someone said above, vegetables fill you up like crazy. 150 calories of rice is about 50 grams, which is a few spoonfuls - weigh out 50g and see how big it is. 150 calories of vegetables is a full plate, and has loads of nutrients. Add some good meat to that and you're completely full.

You'll have hungry days every once in a while, don't be afraid to allow for a little extra sometimes in those cases, just don't fall totally off the wagon. This is why some people have a designated 'cheat day' once every couple weeks, so that they can have something different but restrict it to one day, instead of going crazy for a few days and undoing your work. It's all about what works for you to keep you on track.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am following MFP strategy of losing 2 pounds a week, and to do this,I need to take in 2430 calories a day,and I always try to take in around 2300. Not exercising yet until next weekend,that's when my gym membership starts.

Thanks for all the replies & advice

Can I ask why you aren't eating the full 2430 calories? You could be having a couple of extra pieces of fruit a day or a slice of toast when those hunger pangs visit. Staying under by such a margin won't necessarily give you better results and may be detrimental to your metabolism.

On a positive note... once you're exercising you'll have all those extra exercise calories to eat too. Trust me, it's the perfect incentive to keep working out to know you can eat more liberally that day!!

I simply feel that I am satisfied and full on the 2300. Hey, if I cut it by 100 calories a day, for 30 days, that is almost another pound a month I could lose. It varies though, sometimes it's right around the full amount but sometimes I am under by 1-200 calories
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OP - the first week is always the worst, especially because the volume and type of food is such a big change. Hunger pangs etc will eventually subside
  • kerstinelaine
    kerstinelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago. I was wondering about the question that started the topic myself and did a search. I felt that the first week was going to kill me! There were a few days I couldn't help but eat over my daily limit. I'm slowly cutting back on stuff like sweet tea and trying to add more water. I find myself getting really hungry when I've been super busy. Like when I'm canning and forget to eat until my kids ask when the next meal will be ready! Oops!
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started eating 5 small meals a day: breakfast after the shower, second breakfast about 10:00, lunch around 1:00pm, afternoon snack at 4:00pm and dinner around 7:00pm. I just make sure all of my meals are in the 300 calorie range. (Obviously our calorie needs are different so you can adjust your meals accordng to that.) Water also helps a ton. If you're like me you can get to about 4 glasses of water before you're done. There are zero calorie water sweeteners out there that give you flavor and let you take in more water. I don't feel deprived, my stomach doesn't growl and I'm getting everything I need to keep up with my goals.
  • championgreen
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot of people say DRINK WATER but what about water gain??
  • hugrekki
    hugrekki Posts: 40
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot of people say DRINK WATER but what about water gain??

Water can cause temporary scale fluctuations but you won't actually gain weight by drinking water. Water is held in different parts of your body, especially your bladder. When you wake up in the morning, weigh yourself. Then use the restroom and weigh yourself again. That's what "water weight" is.