Getting frustrated with how slow my weight loss is

Options
Hello,

I've been working on my weight loss since Jan 2013. I joined a gym in March. I have been working out 4 days a week since then, I alternate cardio and strength training. I've lost 26 lbs which is good but it's an average of 1.0 a week and it has really slowed down. I realize plateaus are common. I'm wondering what has worked for other people to help jump start them. I eat 1600 cals a day ( the results of a metabolic assessment I had my trainer said not to go below this or I won't be losing fat). I'm tempted to eat less for a week or two to see if that makes a difference, or should I go to ultra low carbs. Any ideas?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Are you still losing? Even if it's 1/2 pound a week (which, with as little as you have left to lose is recommended) you haven't plateaued. The closer you get to maintenance, the less your calorie deficit should be so essentially when you hit your goal weight, you'll have almost hit your maintenance calories.
  • sherdewi
    sherdewi Posts: 14
    Options
    I should add that I'm not eating back any of my calories that I burn, on my trainers advice. I burn between 300-600 calories a workout
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    patience and consistency

stick with what you're doing
  • sherdewi
    sherdewi Posts: 14
    Options
    I've got another 30-40 to lose. I haven't lost for a couple of weeks
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It has taken me well over 2.5 years to lose 150.
    I would love to be done, but I am not upset.

Life gets better every month. Don't just look at the number.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing what you are doing and count your blessings to be losing 1lbs a week. You did not gain the weight at a pound or more a week, why would you lose it that fast?
    You are paying a trainer for good advice, so listen to him/her.....
    Eating less will only make you lose muscle mass faster, and at your age you need muscle mass more than ever....
    Patience....:flowerforyou:
  • wendyrap2
    wendyrap2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    estas triste??? es una gran perdida!!!! mi nutricionista dice que cuando pierdes poco peso pero es constante es peso muy dificil de recuperar!!!! excelente trabajo estas haciendo!! eres una motivacion!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm not eating back any of my calories that I burn, on my trainers advice. I burn between 300-600 calories a workout

this means you are not eating 1600 calories, you're netting 1000-1300.

I misread your ticker and thought you had less than 20 pounds. sorry :flowerforyou:

Try eating back your exercise calories, start slow with the first 100-200 calories. You might see an inital scale gain, but after that, you should start to lose again.
  • friedmsw1
    friedmsw1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand your frustration! I had a three week plateau that really put a dent on my average weekly weight loss. The thing that got me off my plateau was to eat over my calorie limit of 1200 a day.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    No ideas here, because I'm in the exact same situation! I'm just glad the scale isn't going up, and I can feel myself getting stronger and more fit every week. I've gained 100 lbs over 8 years, so I'm sure it won't come off quickly, like I want it to! Good luck
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Agree with possibly eating more if your burning so much off calorie wise. Also get that tape measure out and measure up!

Best advice i saw..... Dont just look at the number, 26lbs is a great loss in that short a space of time.