Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight Lifting

When I was younger (21 - 24) I went through a "bulking up" phase, I was weight lifting usually on average 3 times a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) and I developed some nicely defined muscles, mainly my biceps and triceps, but what I did notice is although I had put weight on, my clothes did fit better. Now, 4 years on and I need to lose A LOT of weight, I'm considering hitting the weight training again, but quite a few fitness forums claim weight lifting when you are overweight can be just as dangerous as being overweight itself (without lifting) so it makes me wonder if weight lifting is a good move? Should I do light more repetitive reps, as opposed to fewer heavy reps? Back then I lifted weights to get heavier and to build muscle, now I need to lose weight, so not entirely sure whether to hit the bench press again, or perhaps wait until I have shed some more weight? Anybody out there contributed towards their weight loss through weight lifting? If so, would love to hear how it worked out for you!

Replies

• ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    bump I wanna know too!
  • 2boned
    2boned Posts: 44
    Start lifting ASAP!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    bump I wanna know too!

Lol, yeah. I mean, I know how weight lifting works as far as bulking up goes, I'm just slightly confused as to how it works in the long run when it comes to losing weight!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    To "bulk" you have to eat at a surplus of calories and lift. You can't bulk on a deficit of calories...it's scientifically and mathematically impossible. You should lift...lifting with a deficit of calories is going to preserve LBM and thus your metabolism and you're going to look much better in the end because you will have avoided losing a lot of muscle with your fat.

Once again, you can't gain muscle mass at a deficit of calories...it is scientifically and mathematically impossible.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Lift now and eat at a deficit. You won't bulk in a deficit, but be prepared for an initial stall on scale loss until you adjust to routine.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, this is just my opinion!
  • _EndGame_
    To "bulk" you have to eat at a surplus of calories and lift. You can't bulk on a deficit of calories...it's scientifically and mathematically impossible. You should lift...lifting with a deficit of calories is going to preserve LBM and thus your metabolism and you're going to look much better in the end because you will have avoided losing a lot of muscle with your fat.

Once again, you can't gain muscle mass at a deficit of calories...it is scientifically and mathematically impossible.

I hear you, that's what I was after. A straight to the point, well informed response.

@gracilynn101 - Yeah, I figured as much about the stall in weight loss. but hey, as long as clothes carry on fitting better, I can deal with the weight loss stall!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    bump I wanna know too!

Lol, yeah. I mean, I know how weight lifting works as far as bulking up goes, I'm just slightly confused as to how it works in the long run when it comes to losing weight!!

Eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE and lift heavy now. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I hear you, that's what I was after. A straight to the point, well informed response.

@gracilynn101 - Yeah, I figured as much about the stall in weight loss. but hey, as long as clothes carry on fitting better, I can deal with the weight loss stall!

You can make great strength gains too. I was so weak when I started 9 months ago or so...I've made awesome strength gains and lost about 35-40 Lbs and haven't really lost much in the way of muscle mass as per my BF% measurements.
  • _EndGame_

You can make great strength gains too. I was so weak when I started 9 months ago or so...I've made awesome strength gains and lost about 35-40 Lbs and haven't really lost much in the way of muscle mass as per my BF% measurements.

Yeah, I just read your bio, you're an inspiration! I wasn't aware that lifting on a deficit would work, I just assumed if I didn't eat enough calories whilst lifting, my body would be too weak, and I'd end up tearing my muscle? I'm clearly not as disciplined as you when it comes to weights, hence the question. I've sent you a friend request man, hope that's cool with you? I like to keep myself surrounded by motivated people, it helps keep me motivated, too.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Bumping for responses. reason being my doctor wants me to weight lift and feels that it would be more beneficial to me along with my running and dancing.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    The biggest concern with someone starting to lift after a long hiatus is a false sense of abilities. You remember what you used to be able to lift and set that as your benchmark. It's easy to hurt yourself trying to lift at a level that you are no longer on. You need to consciously reset your lifting goals and start at a place you are sure you can lift. I had the same problem when I started lifting again, after having been lazy for all the years since football training. You can lift on a deficit, and will see some modest strength gains (mostly due to improved form and improved efficiency in the way your brain utilizes muscle groups), but mostly you will preserve muscle mass and convince your body to burn a greater percentage of body fat during the cutting phase. You won't build any significant muscle, but you will maintain what you already have.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    My cardiologist explained that building muscle hlps the body burn more calories so my weight loss program (down over 100 lbs) has included eating at a deficit, cardio 3X a week and strngth training 3X a week. Just make sure yo eat a light carb snack within an hour of weight training to "fuel" the work out, then follow with a protien snack after to supply muscle building blocks.

Go for it!
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

Here you go brother this should answer your questions. If you are training and your weight loss stalls or maybe you gain a pound or two it is ok...as long as you are losing inches, you are losing fat.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Unless you have extreme medical problems anyone who tells you not to lift isn't your friend. Period. End of story.
  • _EndGame_
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Steve - I like your bluntness. People who say things how they are are my kind of people.

Heatseeker - Thanks bro, I'll check that out.

Grimendale - I know what you're saying man, I've gone and torn my muscle before by jumping head on into it after a long break. Bit older and wiser now though! Lifting on a deficit makes perfect sense, not sure why I didn't work it out before, but hey, asking questions is good! I know exactly what I'm going to do now in regards to weight lifting.

jmadams111 - I was considering getting a protein "meal supplement/replacement" do you have any particular products you can recommend?
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member

This pretty much sums it up. I think the biggest concern on lifting is correct form. If you don't have correct form you are pretty much wasting your time and/or is where injury happens. You said that you used to lift so you already probably know the correct form. I would start lifting ASAP, it doesn't matter what weight you are. You are going to see results happening alot faster. Make sure you get that protein within twenty minutes after your workout to bulid those muscles back up.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    My son uses a number of different awful tasting whey protien products; I prefer beef jerky and Grrek yogurt (not together). I can't really tell much difference between his method and mine except mine tastes better.