Scale discrepancy... need help!

Options
I weighed myself a couple months ago on my scale at home and was 350. I went to the Dr. this passed Thursday and they weighed me at 332. Down 18 lbs? HELL YES!

The problem... I weighed myself tonight on my scale at home, the same one that recorded 350 a couple months ago and was 342. Theres a 10 lb difference there... which scale do I believe?!? I've always heard that the doctor's office scales are more accurate... is that true?

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Pick. 1, and 1 only. Drs scales, IMO, are horribly wrong. They don't care about precision. They are looking for trends. Plus, you weigh with all clothes, shoes, whatever is in pockets. It's stupid. Home naked. It's the only number you have to know.
    ^^THIS
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on a few things.
    Personally, I hate a doctor's scale...because by the time I've gone there, I've usually had a meal, plus clothing and jewelry and all that junk that adds...(I'm really short, every ounce counts)

but there are a few things you should look into:
    1. How nice is your scale? A $10 scale from Wal-Mart is probably going to be off. I have two scales at my house -- a really nice one that tells you EVERYTHING (BMI, water composition, muscle mass, etc) and then a scale that was probably like $25. I always use the more expensive one when I can because I feel it's more precise.
    2. Is your floor even? If your floor is uneven, it will cause your scale to do crazy things.
    3. When you do you weigh yourself? Try to do it at the same time of day, without clothes, after going to the bathroom, etc. consistency is key. You wouldn't weigh yourself at 10pm at night and then the next week weight yourself at like 7am on Monday...your readings will be all crazy.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Doctors can have bad scales, but that's not really the issue, and I can't comment on your specific scales. But, if you want to monitor your progress, choose the most convenient scale (probably the one you have) and decide that it's right. Unless it's completely broken, if you lose a pound, it will tell you. Your exact weight is less important than knowing that you are making progress. But if you want to know your exact weight, drive south, find a Publix, and use their scale. It's always right.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pick 1. I'd use your home scale since it's more readily available. Then don't worry so much about the number, worry about how that number changes over time.

It doesn't matter what you weigh, as long as it's less than what you weighed 2 weeks ago.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pick. 1, and 1 only. Drs scales, IMO, are horribly wrong. They don't care about precision. They are looking for trends. Plus, you weigh with all clothes, shoes, whatever is in pockets. It's stupid. Home naked. It's the only number you have to know.

That's exactly what you should be looking for. Everyone wants to be accurate all the time. Guess what - it's not possible. That's why trends matter. I don't care what the number on the scale says, as long as it's lower than the last time. The number is irrelevant, it's the change in the number that matters.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Scales are scales. Unless they're industrial scales which are regularly calibrated, they are not any more likely to be accurate than yours are.

Usually, the best thing to do is weigh yourself on the same scales in the same position (not moved around, not on carpet), at the same time (before breakfast, after using the bathroom), each and every time. I can weigh myself at home and then at the doctor's office and it looks like I've gained 3 kg in the 30 minute drive to her office.

Go with your scales.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Doctors can have bad scales, but that's not really the issue, and I can't comment on your specific scales. But, if you want to monitor your progress, choose the most convenient scale (probably the one you have) and decide that it's right. Unless it's completely broken, if you lose a pound, it will tell you. Your exact weight is less important than knowing that you are making progress. But if you want to know your exact weight, drive south, find a Publix, and use their scale. It's always right.

lol...assuming poster is from the SE United States, were you serious about the Publix scale or jk?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:

:drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

lol...assuming poster is from the SE United States, were you serious about the Publix scale or jk?

Florida here. So serious. I love watching people go in, weigh themselves, and walk right back out. And I've weighed luggage there before...
  • megsybk
    megsybk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Either way, there was progress, whether it's 8 lbs or 18 lbs, it's progress. I just want to know, since I'm starting over again for the umpteenth time, what my actual starting weight is.

Guess I'm just going to stick with 342. I don't feel like I've lost 18 lbs.

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Do you have a weight or anything at home you can weigh to see if your scale is accurate?

I think mine is pretty accurate when i went to the doctors their scale was 4# heavier. When I weigh at home it's first thing in the morning, in the buff after going to the bathroom. At the doctors it was late in the afternoon wearing clothes and shoes.

For yours, that big of a difference one of the scales is wrong but no telling which one. Unless you can test your scale. But either way what you lose is you lose as long as like said above it's on a flat spot every time.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Either way, there was progress, whether it's 8 lbs or 18 lbs, it's progress. I just want to know, since I'm starting over again for the umpteenth time, what my actual starting weight is.

Guess I'm just going to stick with 342. I don't feel like I've lost 18 lbs.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Great outlook! You will do awesome!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, a decent scale but no fancy high tech bells and whistles shouldn't set you back much more than the equivalent of $30 US.

Also, most inexpensive home scales get more inaccurate at the upper ranges above 300. I'm a big person myself so I'm speaking from experience. You can easily buy good, inexpensive scales now where the upper limit is in the low 400s, so if you're in the low 300s you're not stretching the scale's ability to be accurate. I just got one for about $35 and it's a relief to have something I trust.