Spinning... am I going to die?

Options
megsybk
megsybk Posts: 27 Member
Has anyone, who is not remotely in shape, taken spinning, successfully?

I'm 6'4 and have always had bad knees, so spinning was suggested to me since its low impact. I've always heard it's a great workout, but I'm afraid that I'm going to die.

Has anyone done it? tips for surviving?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid you are going to die?
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    LOL! I feel your pain! Push your self a little, but you will need to work up to what the experienced class members are doing. PArt of getting healthy is realizing how crapped out you have become. Get some padded shorts, hit the pedals and enjoy. Keep us posted. Be sure it is OK with your doctor.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Has anyone, who is not remotely in shape, taken spinning, successfully?

I'm 6'4 and have always had bad knees, so spinning was suggested to me since its low impact. I've always heard it's a great workout, but I'm afraid that I'm going to die.

Has anyone done it? tips for surviving?

I've recently started spinning once a week (4th class) nope you won't die :laugh: but it can be pretty intensive 1st couple of classes. My bum felt like I'd been perched on a sharpened rock at first! Just go steady do as much as you can & if you want to crank the levels down a bit then go for it :wink: Honestly it's good fun - side note I've only joined my gym 6 wks ago & I'd consider myself pretty out of shape (although definately improving slowly).
  • megsybk
    megsybk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid you are going to die?

Because the most I can do fitness wise is walk a 12 minute mile (and I credit my 36 inch legs to that!). Other than that, I am pretty sedentary and have heard that spinning is insanely intense.

Please note, I'm not fearful that i'm ACTUALLY going to die, just worried that it's going to to be incredibly hard and make me feel like i'm going to die!
  • strongestgirl10
    strongestgirl10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The instructors that teach the spin classes I attend give modifications for drills (easier and more challenging) to accommodate many fitness levels. Be sure to wear padded shorts, a light breathable top and take a towel and water bottle (trust me, you'll need it). Arrive early to your first class, tell the instructor you are new to spinning and have him/her help you get your spin bike set up properly to suit your long legs. Good luck!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i was not in shape -at all- when i took my first spinning class, and i felt the same way. i was super intimidated. i introduced myself to the instructor and she did ask that i take a spot in the front row near her since i was a beginner. it was intense, and i had to take it easy during some of the 'hills' where you raise up off the seat, but i survived!!!!

not gonna lie, i was saddle sore for two days. get some padded shorts if you can. you'll be grateful.

it's just like every other activity - give it your all and push yourself, but if you need to lower the intensity to suit your fitness level, ain't no shame. you'll get there.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Every time the instructor tells you to increase your resistance, just put your hand on the knob and pretend like you did. You'll be fine. :wink:
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Not at all! I'm 6 ft with bad knees and have no problems. It's actually one of my favorite workouts. I would recommend that you get to class a few minutes before and ask the instructor with help on seat adjustments. If it is set incorrectly, your knees will hurt :(

If you can't keep up, just sit and spin :wink:

The hardest part is getting over the uncomfortableness of the seat.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just take it slow to start , stop if you feel you need to. You should be ok
  • lavonnelrausch
    lavonnelrausch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love spinning but when I started I just couldn't keep up but something the instructor said stuck in my head. She said just keep pedaling. So I did, I didn't do the jumps or some of the other things right away but I just kept pedaling. You will do great. I found the class very encouraging and I felt accomplished when I was done. As others suggested padded shorts really help with the saddle soreness. Good Luck and Keep Pedaling !
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There is a knob on your own bike right in front of you.

Guess who controls it.

You make it as hard as you need it to be, following the encouragement of the instructors for variety of strength, spin, standing, ect.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Get a gel seat pad and bring it with you. You will thank yourself. That is the hardest part. Your butt will hurt for a week or two probably even with the pad but it will lessen the blow and eventually you can ride without it. 4 years ago I had a personal trainer for a couple of months and he suggested on my days when I wasn't training with him to do spin because it works the big muscles and has a great calorie burn. I was scared at first but I LOOOOVED it and if I am ever in the financial situation to join a gym again (got a divorce soon after that and still struggling as a single parent without financial help) I will choose one that offers spin. I was way out of shape and weighed a little less than I do now but a mere 3 pounds. Basically the instructor usually tells you to push it and up the speed or the resistance but you can always do a little less (on turn on the dial instead of three, or even none). You ultimately put what you want into it but I found myself motivated to push further each time and loved it.

I hope you enjoy it!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You'll quit before you die. I promise. But, holy balls, you're 6'4"? I'd love to be at a towering height. I'm a little jealous.
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and love spin classes. I started exercising April 30th last year at 306 pounds and in terrible shape. I had bad knees and a bad back. To get moving I started with an Easy 5k run/walk app. The program consisted of three run days a week and so on my off days I would use a stationary bike to improve my stamina. I discovered a shocking thing, exercising when I was sore and tired made the pains go away. Amazing but I actually felt better after a workout than before it. In September of last year I had dropped roughly 90 pounds and decided to take my first spin class. The first class was brutal. I remember the first time standing and being able to stay up for few seconds and I thought I was in good shape. Well as the weeks passed I improved and more importantly my stamina improved. In January my athletic focus switched from running to spinning and was doing at least one spin class each day, sometimes two a day. In the spring I ran my first 5K after the months of spin classes and was able to drop my 5k time from 27 minutes to 22 minutes. I don't have any doubt that the work I put in at spin class helped improve my time. It also helped me lose the final 25 pounds to get down to 115 pounds total.

The two things I would recommend are getting some proper cycling shoes that will allow you to clip in and the most important thing is getting a good heart rate monitor. Being able to get a real time view of how your heart is doing is so key. Once you know what your heart is doing you can tailor your workout to burning fat or building endurance. You also will get a clearer picture of how many calories you are burning. Good luck and have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In a spinning class you control the intensity. Spinning (biking in general) is a great low-impact form of cardio.

You mentioned problems with your knees, have you seen a PT about this? Quite often you can address knee problems with exercises that strengthen glutes and hips, it could be worth looking into......
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Someone did acually die in a spinning class in my gym!!! He was an older man and he had a heart attack.

I was seriously unfit 6 months ago, i went to visit my sister walked up a huge hill shopping, got to the top and had to stop because i was having an ashma attack and was knacked, it was at that point i decided to lose weight and get fit. My first ever class was spin class you don't acually have to keep up with the class you can go at your own pace and put on as much resistance as you can handle. However this is the advice i gave my sister inlaw and she really hurt her knees so i also want to add when doing a hill climb or standing track it needs to be hard to push under your feet or you will hurt your knees.

I love spinning and my recovery is so much better now when i stared it took me 3 days to be able to get out of a seat without pain now i'm completely recovered and fine before i leave the gym carpark i go 2-3 times a week.
  • zeusbella
    zeusbella Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Spinning is awesome. Yes, you can go at your own pace.. you will build your endurance like anything else. I just took a spin class in Manhattan at SoulCycle and I hadn't been spinning in 9yrs.

It was just like riding a bike. LOL. The first few times you take the class it takes awhile to find your comfort zone and get used to sitting and standing on the bike, but don't give up. It becomes addicting like anything else.
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My wife and I took our first spinning class in January, a half hour beginner class at the Y. We could hardly walk the next day. We now do an hour class two or three times a week and I started biking to work (about 5 miles one way). I still hate "jumps" though.

Spinning is great .
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hiyah you feel like you might die, but each class definately does get better. No one ever tells you that the seat is uncomfortable and that you will have to stand up and pedal. The first time I stood up it was awful. Next session I took with me a gel padded seat cover and just ignored the instructor every time she said turn up the resistance. After a few sessions you will start turning the resistance up and be able to keep up with the rest of the class. The instructor has told anyone with knee issues not to do the leg isolations (not sure why). good luck and keep at it.