Tips for saving while grocery shopping? family of 3

Options
13»

Replies

• DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    For one, definitely plan ahead what you'll be eating during the week. This is super easy if you always eat the same things week after week like we do with little change.

Next, check all the flyers of stores around you for stuff that you regularly buy and if you have a place that does price match, even better! Mostly I do it for stuff that I buy only once in a while, like shampoo, soap, laundry detergent because they're stuff that you'll have to buy at any cost if you run out before it comes on sale again and usually all those items tend to be fairly pricey. If you can find stuff you regularly buy on sale, then it's even better!

Third, coupons! If the place you normally shop at accepts coupons on top of sales or price match, some items can be way cheap! This is especially true for the items listed on my second point. But whatever you do, don't buy stuff you wouldn't normally buy just because you have a coupon, unless it's something you truly think you'll use!

As for other tips, like people have said, consider store brand products, plenty of things are actually the same, if not very similar that you wouldn't notice it's not your usual brand. Also, I don't know if you have the same as we go, but with all price tags we have the price per 100g or 100 mL, it helps to know whether the little or big package is a better deal! If it's something that doesn't easily go bad, consider the bigger package, usually it's a better deal and you won't have to buy it as often!

In the end, especially with MFP, I have to say that I've been surprised at how little one really has to eat that sometimes I wonder why I used to buy so much stuff before when sometimes I don't even have enough days in a week to eat all the stuff I've bought! Thus it makes the next week's bill a little cheaper ;)
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Reading through the comments... Seriously??? The original question was "TIPS FOR SAVING". Someone posted not to shop at Whole Foods. I'm sorry, but it does not take a rocket scientist to understand what that poster meant. Apparently, a few people did not understand and decided to leave topic and attack someone for giving advice.

Well, let me spell this out for you... If someone asks HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON FOOD... and someone tells them to NOT shop at Whole Foods... IT MEANS THAT WHOLE FOODS CHARGES MORE THAN YOUR DISCOUNT STORES AND IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY... DO NOT SHOP THERE.

How hard is this to understand? Why are you attacking someone for trying to help the OP?

People like you are why I am seriously thinking about abandoning the message boards.

You are cruel and just down right mean people. MFP is supposed to be for support and guidance.

I am sorry if I am being mean or rude. I am just so tired of mean people on here. Again, sorry for being so forward.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think all stores have some things that are cheaper than at other stores, including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
    A tube of TJ tomato paste in a tube (now discontinued item, sigh) was 99 cents; at Kroger/Fred Meyer it was $4.39. So if all you've got is farmers markets and Walmart, compare the prices there.

In the Northwest, we have the opportunity to go directly to farmers and sign up for baskets of food to be delivered each week in the growing season. Getting a friend or your family to join in the membership spreads out the cost, which is very reasonable anyway.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    the only way i seem to save money is by shopping at my local green grocers and butchers.
    not only is the fruit and veg cheaper in the green grocers, it's also bigger in size so goes further. All because the main supermarkets want the smaller sizes.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1. Make your adult members join MFP. My budget has cut in two since I'm here. One could not belive how little basic food we really need not just to live, but to live healthy.
    2. Pay attention to wasted food. Average househod throws away up to one quarter of food that is still edible! A lot of money!
    3. Avoid junk and soda. Potato chip, salt sticks, snacks of all kind, all bottled drinks and Crap Co. What our body needs is water, tea, maybe coffee for treat without sugar.
    4. Buy basic food. Uncooked beans are cheaper than canned, whole meat is cheaper than ground meat, milk is cheaper than yoghurt.
    5. Use leftovers like old bread.
    6. Bake your bread at home. I buy wholegrain like oats, wheat, buckwheat and ground them at home in ground mill to make my own flour. Bread tastes better and I know what is in it.
    6. Make friends with local farmers. I go to the local market at the end of workday and pick up fruit and veggies they leave behind or cannot sell, because they are too ripe or simply too ugly and process it. There are literally tons of food and I feed my extended family on it!
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always make a list of meals for the following week - check cupboards, fridge and freezer to make sure I use up things when necessary. Then shopping list of things I need for meals or to replace in cupboard, fridge, freezer. I try to stick to this but buy bargains or bogofs if I will use them. Check prices - the biggest is not always the cheapest and finally only shop once a week.

My husband is retired and I work part time we have got shopping down to once a fortnight and eat very little if any meat - my shopping bill is now almost the same for two weeks as it was for one! We buy enough bread and milk for the week freezing what is not immediately needed. Good luck all
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Love that hat!:wink:
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Buy meat in bulk and butcher/portion it yourself. You can get it much cheaper per pound and get the scraps for stock
  • dmarien
    dmarien Posts: 58
    Options
    check out southernsavers.com...(it even does Whole Foods)has all the sale papers, what coupons you need and where to find them, and even shows you the items that you stock up due to they are at the lowest price. And It's free. Start saving your coupons but only buy what you need. Products are usually at the lowest price every 12 weeks. So for example if you like Prego and you have watched a 12 week cycle to know which week it will be offered at it's lowest price then stock enough to last you until it gets to the lowest price again. We feed a family of 8 on around 350 a month. I also hit the meat markets early in the morning stock on meat that is marked down and either cook it or freeze it. Also if you have a local produce stand and can hit it a couple of times a week you will never need to by produce at full price or at the grocery. They will have good mark downs as well.

Another idea when we were younger and did not have but 150 a month for groceries (few less people back then) I shopped for the month, I made my meal plan and there was no room for error. I only had cash to spend at the grocery so if I did not have enough I had to put something back.

We still use cash and the extra when I go shopping is a little extra for us else where.

Saving money on anything takes time, planning, and knowing your market. There are alot of great tips on here. So take what seems to work for you.

I am curious when you say groceries are expensive do you cook large meals, are there alot of leftovers when you cook?