TOO FEW CALORIES

Options
I W ANT TO LOSE MORE THAN A POUND A WEEK
I TOLD MFP I WANTED TO LOSE 2 POUNDS A WEEK AND IM ACTIVE. AND THEY SET ME AT LIKE 1350 CALS.
I DO 60 - 70 MINUTES OF CARDIO A DAY
IM 5'7 AND 198 POUNDS
AND I THINK THE CALS ARE TOO LOW
oPINIONS?
PLEASE
BMR: 1623 Calories/DayE

Replies

• KelsieHawkinsx
    KelsieHawkinsx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're that active, I recommend upping your calories to around 1500-1600. I only eat 1200-1300 on the days that I don't get a workout in!
  • crownedether
    crownedether Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    whats your activity level set to? and do you log your workouts? depending on what activity level you are set to, you are meant to eat back any calories you burn exercising to maintain the 2-lbs a week loss. if you are doing that and its still too low, it could be that 2 lbs a week is just too fast to lose weight for you to be comfortable
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    activity is active and i log exercise yes
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1623 Calories/DayE

You answered part of it right there. Don't go below BMR. I'd up your intake to at least 1700. Do the TDEE calculation and see where that is in relation to your BMR. That should give you a good range to shoot for. Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think the caps lock key is broken it seems to be stuck on
  • kerstinelaine
    kerstinelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think the question was asking if the caps lock key was on or not. I'm pretty sure it was asking about the amount of calories to eat...
  • dravenangel
    dravenangel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you're logging exercise then your Daily Goal on your food diary will increase from 1350 to include your exercise calories. Eat back most of the calories you burn to near your Daily Goal and you should lose around what you're hoping for each week :smile:
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you're logging exercise then your Daily Goal on your food diary will increase from 1350 to include your exercise calories. Eat back most of the calories you burn to near your Daily Goal and you should lose around what you're hoping for each week :smile:

This. MFP calculates the deficit for you.. so if you burn 1000cals from a workout, then you'd be eating 2350 for the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    caps lock is definitely broke..

if you do cardio every day then your settings should be 'active' not 'inactive'
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I don't think the question was asking if the caps lock key was on or not. I'm pretty sure it was asking about the amount of calories to eat...

Oh-oh, here we go.......
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think the caps lock key is broken it seems to be stuck on

looks like it!

NET the amount MFP suggests. or make do with a slower rate of loss so you can eat more.
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did not have a set activity amount when I set up my parameters, everyday when I log my activity I can choose to eat back those calories or not when they are added to my daily balance. If it is a day that I have worked hard and feel that I need them I eat them, if it is a day that I feel like I won't miss those calories that I earned I still log them but don't eat them. So you 1350 will turn into a lot more when you log the appropriate exercise that you do for the day. I do not log until the end of the day but I know the calories I will earn for the types that I do so I can use them during the day if I would like to. I hope this helps you.
  • kerstinelaine
    kerstinelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Oh-oh, here we go.......

I was just saying. Good grief.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Simple answer? Start at 1600 calories for a couple of weeks. See if you lose fat. If weight maintains, drop a hundred. Repeat for another week or two. Repeat until you are dropping weight as required.

Personally? I'd advise aimin for 1lb a week as its much more likely to be fat and less likely to be lean body mass. Faster isn't necessarily better.

It took months/years to put on, take time to slowly trim it off. 1lb a week is 4-5lb a month, 12-15lb a quarter, 30lb in six months - without anything drastic which will make you quit AND/OR binge. Make it a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Losing 2 lbs a week is a tall order - of course you'll be eating too few calories! Set it to 1 and be patient.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Up calories and/or lower how much you want to lose each week.
    I'm 193 pounds and have been netting around 1200 for a while now after telling MFP I still wanted to lose 2lbs a week (actually dropped it to 1.5 maybe a month and a half ago) but I was stuck around the 194-197lbs mark for a month (up and down daily pretty much)
    The last week and a half I've upped it so I'm netting around 1550, closer to my BMR of 1700ish. Already seeing results. If I carry on seeing results I'll stick with it, but I might go up again so I net BMR. Aiming for 1lb a week for a while now :)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Simple answer? Start at 1600 calories for a couple of weeks. See if you lose fat. If weight maintains, drop a hundred. Repeat for another week or two. Repeat until you are dropping weight as required.

Personally? I'd advise aimin for 1lb a week as its much more likely to be fat and less likely to be lean body mass. Faster isn't necessarily better.

It took months/years to put on, take time to slowly trim it off. 1lb a week is 4-5lb a month, 12-15lb a quarter, 30lb in six months - without anything drastic which will make you quit AND/OR binge. Make it a lifestyle, not a diet.

This. You might be setting yourself up for failure asking for 2 lbs a week.

I was 314lbs down to 200, then kept going from 200 to 206. Some say exercise is exercise, but I was doing weights and cardio like crazy. Then I started doing indoor cycling, It's basiclly a HIIT workout. I have now lost 12 lbs. in 13 weeks. Amazing, and I like the cycling. BTW I eat almost 2000 a day. I'm 5'8" and now 194lbs.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Experiment with the calories I had to change mine maybe just stress I had been fine with MFP setting for almost a year and started to loose and with a nutricianist we played with the numbers 200 at a time checking every couple of weeks to see how it affected me and I had to up almost 500 for about 2 months. I am trying to maintain NOT loose. After I was stable again and was at the weight we wanted I am now doing the same in reerse slowly changing 200 at a time and will not go lower for at least a month. We forget our lives can play a role in our weight as well beyong calories in and out and exercise