Who did reach their goal with 1500 calories?

Options
I was just thinking of increasing my daily calorie to 1500 because 1200 makes me hungry all the timet. Im not very far from my GW and I want to see anyone who reach their goal at 1500 calories :) thanks

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I suppose many have lost weight eating 1500 cals, but that doesn't mean that particular number would be the same for yourself. We are all different ages, heights and have different activity levels to consider. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that 1200 might be too low but figure out your tdee and bmr on scooby's workshop or fat2fit radio.com. I myself actually eat 1500 but my metabolism has been messed up from eating too low so I started off eating at bmr which was 1400 and now i'm at 1500. I have a holiday in aug and was rather depressed that I hadn't met my goal, my loss has been slow. Depending on your stats you may be able to eat more than 1500
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you are close to goal you should set your calories to lose 0.5lbs per week.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    mich1902 pretty much hit the nail on the head. For most anyone who engages in any kind of regular exercise, even the most petite of the petite, 1200 is far too little. The 1200 calorie "bare minimum" is really only applicable to sedentary people attempting to lose weight through diet alone, not diet + exercise. For anyone else, it should be raised to 1500. If you've read the Insanity nutrition guide, you will see they recommend a minimum calorie intake of 1500 for anyone attempting the program and even that is only for very petite women. For everyone else that number is much higher. However, as mich1902 said, a long period of eating too little will slow your metabolism to the point where you may gain weight eating a number of calories that, by all rights, should still put you at a deficit. If this applies to you, then it is recommended you first focus on repairing your metabolism by slowly increasing your calories, rather than focusing on weight loss.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with mich1902. You need to figure out your TDEE and BMR. 1200 calories is low especially if you're active. Like you, I started on 1200. I didn't know any better. I was tired and hungry. After I learned about TDEE, I gradually increased my intake every week to meet my goal, tracking my weight as I went. The first month I increased calories, I didn't lose anything. I actually gained a pound, but since then I've been losing steadily. Patience and the ability to be okay with seeing fluctuations on the scale are key.

I've had success eating more than 1500 calories. With that said, I weigh and measure everything I eat so that I can be sure my calorie count is accurate. This is a crucial step. After I bought a food scale, I realized I was eating more than I thought.

Is 1200 your daily intake or are you eating back exercise calories?
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't really give you any advice because I'm new to this, but I just increased my calories from 1200 to 1500 today for the exact reasons everyone else stated. I've been doing this for about 5 weeks at 1200 and I feel like I'm starving and I have a hard time eating my calories back after exercise because I do it in the evening, so the whole "eat your exercise calories" back was playing games with my head. I realized I was netting like 700 calories on too many days. I read too many things about metabolism damage and I do NOT want to go there.

So, I calculated my TDEE (I used iifym) using all four methods (and taking a 20% reduction), then took an average. Then, I reduced that to give me a small deficit that I can work with on my off days, when my family and I go out to eat, etc. This number is actually very close to my 1200 that MFP gave me, plus my 4 days of exercise calories added in and averaged out for the week. Now, I have a nice number to work with daily, and I don't have to beat myself up if I go over a little. And I'm not living with the fear that I might damage my metabolism. Also-- I am recording my exercise, but I have it set at 1 calorie so that it doesn't give me that deficit (since it's already built in to TDEE) but still keeps me honest about reaching my exercise goals.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1500 would not be enough for me on most days. But I do lose weight when I stick close to my calorie goal. Find what works and stick to it.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My first 30lbs I lost at 1200 cals. Then I bumped it up to 1500 and the weight loss actually picked up a bit. I'm f/25/5'7". I've been losing steadily at 1500 and I'm inching towards goal so I'm trying to up them to the 1650 range now.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am eating roughly 1500-1600 a day. I upped my calories from 1200 after about the first 15 pounds. I'm down 33 so far. I haven't seen any bad effects from increasing my calories to 1500-1600 a day and am still losing steadily.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    im at 1580, plus exercise and ive lost 20 lbs in three months.
  • jstigga
    jstigga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just starting MFP and very surprised how low the daily calories are. I'm a big guy who has a lot to lose. I am switching from WW and this is significantly less calories.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this today. I did go to a TDEE site and did all my calculations and WOW! According to the site I should be eating around 1850 calories a day! YIKES .. not sure I can go there (its so hard to change your mind-set isn't it?)

I was on 1300 calories a day and have hit yet another plateau. *sigh* No weight loss since the first week of June (this also happened in Jan and April, so it cycles with me).

Today, July 1, 2013 I did the following:
    1) Started the 30-Day Shred program
    2) Took pictures
    3) Weighed in (up two pounds from my most recent weigh in :grumble: ; but not giving up)
    4) Took my measurements
    5) Determined I was not going to give up! :wink:

I am F/58y/5'-5-3/4" and even after losing 35 pounds looking at pictures of me taken over the weekend I still don't look like I have accomplished anything. And yes I have been working out 4 days a week for the past 4-5 months. I am down in the size clothes I wear so that is a good feeling; but I need to see change more.

Thanks again for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This post in interesting as I have been at 1300 for months and not loosing but abt 1-2 lbs a month..Yesterday I read a lot about eating above your BMR/TDEE-20% etc and as of yesterday my calorie intake is going from 1300-1700. 1622 is my BMR and 1779 is my TDEE-20% so 1700 is right at both #'s. I am terrified as I don't want to gain in the beginning but I want to do what is right for my body in the long run and hopefully making this change I will start to see more of a loss soon!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    As you can see below I am like you-YIKES but I am going to give it a try!! I am going from 1300-1700 as of yest!
    Thanks for posting this today. I did go to a TDEE site and did all my calculations and WOW! According to the site I should be eating around 1850 calories a day! YIKES .. not sure I can go there (its so hard to change your mind-set isn't it?)

I was on 1300 calories a day and have hit yet another plateau. *sigh* No weight loss since the first week of June (this also happened in Jan and April, so it cycles with me).

Today, July 1, 2013 I did the following:
    1) Started the 30-Day Shred program
    2) Took pictures
    3) Weighed in (up two pounds from my most recent weigh in :grumble: ; but not giving up)
    4) Took my measurements
    5) Determined I was not going to give up! :wink:

I am F/58y/5'-5-3/4" and even after losing 35 pounds looking at pictures of me taken over the weekend I still don't look like I have accomplished anything. And yes I have been working out 4 days a week for the past 4-5 months. I am down in the size clothes I wear so that is a good feeling; but I need to see change more.

Thanks again for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • jltorres0214
    Options
    Thank You guys for such a nice response, now i feel comfortable to increase my caloric intake with out any guilt :D