Does house work count as exercise?

Options
Not your regular every day routine house work .. i mean an intense scouring of the whole house room by room? :tongue:

If so how do you measure the calorie burn?

(no i dont have ocd its just what i do when im upset stressed in some way or another, i take it out on the house doing something positive:wink: )

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I say yes as long as it isn't a part of your normal activity for sure! Depending on how hard you work on it there are two options in the database. Light/moderate and Heavy/vigorous cleaning.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I count deep cleaning, not the daily/weekly stuff. If I'm lugging the vacuum up & down that stairs, scrubbing like a maniac, and generally working up a sweat, I count it. I wear my HRM when I deep clean to get a better idea of calories burned.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you search "cleaning" in the exercise database there are several options. I don't count normal daily stuff but if it's a deep clean that's gonna take seriousl effort, I might.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I always count everything I do around the house as house work except for dish washing or laundry. If it's vacumming or shampooing the carpets or cleaning the rooms yes.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I personally count housework if I am going to be sweating while I'm cleaning and its more of a spring cleaning-type. I use my HRM for the calorie burn.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not saying it doesn't burn extra calories, but personally, I wouldn't count it, but that's just me.
  • jnj1013
    jnj1013 Posts: 27
    Options
    I wear a Bodymedia Link - if I spend a good 2-3 hours cleaning, depending on how instense it is I have burned as much as 750 calories over that time period. I definitely count that as activity - I'd burn less on the elliptical for 2 hours!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    If cleaning the house makes you sweaty, out of breath, and tired - it is exercise!!!
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I count it lol. Using my HRM, not MFP estimates.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't understand people's obsession with trying to count other things (housework, yard work, etc...) as "exercise".

Why not skip trying to count it and workout instead, then you have bonus calories burned.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    LOL. Glad to see someone else that cleans when they are upset. I spent my Saturday washing windows, curtains and blinds and I counted it because it is beyond what is normally done each week. I didn't eat back the calories but I counted the exercise. All of that up and down off of chairs, etc. should count for something!
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    thanks for your replies ;) just trying to keep track of calories too ;)

as for the 'obesession' remark well its not worth the effort replying tbh. take a happy pil or something :P