Frustrated

Options
I'm new here and feeling down. Mom of 3 yr old twins, and the weight just doesn't want to leave.

I had lost 2 pounds (186 to 184) earlier in the week. Now I'm up to 185.4. I had been following the 1200 calorie thing, with my running...but I now know its maybe not the best. Well, I bumped it up to 1500, but haven't been eating that much( all 1500) since I don't feel hungry. I know weight can fluctuate during the week, but it just upsets me. I watched the sodium intake yesterday, so I don't know why it went up so (from 184.4 to 184.8, now 185.4). It's like when I upped the cAlories, the weight started to come back.

I really want to cry right now. Anyone have advice?

Replies

• kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I make changes, my body needs time to readjust before losing weight again. As hard as it is, try not to get too frustrated! When I get frustrated, I think about how I feel physically as a reminder that I am making progress even if the numbers don't show it.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Put the scales away for a while. Just focus on getting the food right. Don't weigh for say, two weeks. If you can't trust yourself, get someone to hide the scales so you can't weigh in. Weight does fluctuate throughout the week - last week for instance I weighed in at 78.6kg, then in the middle of the week I was back up over 80kg. This morning I was down to 79kg again. It moves around and it can be really disconcerting when things are all over the place.

Stick to 1500 calories (1200 is far too low for someone at your weight - you and I are similar weights and I'm doing 1500) and losing consistently. Focus on getting that eating right.
  • SandyC04
    SandyC04 Posts: 32
    Options
    glad to see your post as I feel your pain... I am following the 1200 plan and, though I did do a bit of a cheat this weekend I planned for it and stayed within my calorie goal, found I gain about 1.5lbs when I weighed myself this AM...
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus ONLY on the numbers of the scale. Have you been taking any measurements? How are your clothes feeling?? I think the other posts gave you some good advice also...
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories to 1500 will not make you gain weight because you're still at a defficite. My suggestion is, drink lots of water and and keep up the good work, you'll get there.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging following the plan to a T and not seeing results. Been there. Here are some thoughts:

#1. Weigh yourself once a week (Mondays). It will keep you on track for the weekend.
    #2. Drink your water! 64oz a day. It's worth it!
    #3. Make sure you eat at least 1200 calories (even if you don't feel like it). Your body will go into starvation mode if you don't.
    #4. Add some weight lifting into your exercise. Muscle burns calories when you aren't working out. It does weigh more than fat, so you might see an increase for a few weeks, but it pays off in the end.
  • TonicSapphire
    Options
    Go by measurements, not the scale.
    Measure once a week, weigh yourself once a month.
    Results take time, and being patient is part of the hard work.

My youngest children are identical twin boys, who are now 24 years old. A mother of twins can do anything! Keep working on your diet and the weight will come off. Put your scale away until August!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else, take your measurements and loosely focus on the scale. I took my monthly measurements this morning and went down in every category except 2. The scale says I've gained 1 pound since my last weigh in two weeks ago. Also, focus on how your clothes are fitting and your energy levels. I only weigh on the scale because I can use the number in conversation. Don't get discouraged. You're a mom, you can do anything.
  • TwinMom422
    TwinMom422 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It just sucks because I let myself gain this weight. Now it won't leave. I was down 10 lbs last year on 1200 diet, but gained it back after eating what I wanted.

I'm "obese" and I just want it to go away. I know it takes time, but not seeing improvements on scale brings me down.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    3yr old twins??? Oh bless you LOL ( I am a twin, we drove my mother insane) LOL...don't use the scale as a measurement. Weight fluctuates too much. For example just for kicks I got on the scale before my shower, and after my shower, weight changed by 2 pounds LOL... seriously though, up your calories, the 1200 minimum was the absolute worst thing to come out of the diet industry, that's way too low for most people, and with running your body is hanging onto calories it needs to fuel your exercise ( I am a runner too) Get up to 1400-1500 like other folks her suggest, much healthier and will keep your body satisfied for longer. The process takes time...and in all honesty inches count more to me than the scale. I can feel the difference in my clothes and how I feel. Hang in there it will all even out!!
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You got this! Just aim for feeling healthier.

I don't own a scale, because we all know muscle weights more than fat, and while I'm overweight I'm muscular too, so my lbs vs someone else that is my height drives me crazy. Once I lost two pants sizes and gained 10 lbs, so you can do this even if your numbers are in a flux.