exercise to strengthen lower back??

Options
Can anyone tell me a good exercise to strengthen your lower back. I noticed as I started a new step exercise program my back just isn't what it should be. Pain across the lower back and hip area. There has to be exercises that target and strengthen this area but I'm not sure which. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• waterbug420
    Options
    My physical therapist told me to find an exercise program that focuses on the core. A stronger core helps protect your back from injury.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You may also look into Yoga. I haven't done it, but have recently been refered to it to help with some back problems I have. Waterbug420 is right about the core though. When I was in physical therapy in hs they had me work my core to help my lower back and hips.
  • lhstraker
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, strengthening your core is the answer. I have Wii Fit Plus which has lots of different exercises including yoga that focus on strengthening your core as well as balance. The nice thing about the Wii is it has different levels and trust me, the beginner level is a complete workout especially if you also do one of the aerobic sessions such as boxing - you will work up a sweat and burn burn burn those calories.
  • amandaf7
    Options
    I went through therapy for my back a few years ago, PT also suggested strengthening the core. He also had me do a lot of stretches that worked my quads and hamstrings-they always help when my back and hips are hurting.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Exactly what was just said! Strengthen your core and stretch stretch stretch! I like to go to hulu.com and they have great 15-20 min programs for yoga for your back that has really helped me. I also go to physical therapy for my back because I have scholiosis and that is what my therapist says. Also when your done with your workout, stretch your back really good and then put a heat pad on a couple times a week.
  • brenlloyd
    brenlloyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Superman is a good exercise for the lower back. Lie on the floor on your stomach and raise your arms and legs as if you were flying to the count of 10 then release and repeat. However, lower back issues usually stem from weak abs. Best all around ab exercise - good old fashioned bicyle - slow and controlled. If you strengthen your abs you want be putting as much stress on your lower back. Core exercises in yoga and pilates are both excellent for strengthening both your abs and your lower back. Good luck. Brenda
  • cgot08
    cgot08 Posts: 1
    Options
    Believe it or not, your lower spine is largely stabilized by you abdominal muscles. First, make sure you are holding your abs tight when stepping. Also, make sure you are not bending or straining your back while exercising. Your lower spine in the area you are describing should stay curved in toward your stomach the whole time. Abdominal/core strengthening such as stability ball crunches, planks, or v-sits would benefit. Hope this helps :smile:
  • crucible_13
    Options
    Yes! Core is the key. I've had back problems and went to physical therapy for it. They had me doing all kinds of core exercises.

One is using the balance ball. Lay flat on your back on floor with balance ball at your feet. Place feet on balance ball and lift hips as far as you can without lifting shoulders off the ground.

Another good one was using a balance board. It's a piece of wood about 8 inches square with a 1/4 to 1 inch (depending on your fitness level - 1/4 is beginners) strip across the bottom and you stand on it so the strip is on the floor and you try to balance yourself on the board. not sure if these are sold anywhere but it would probably be really easy to make.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and actual directions on specific exercises.. I really need to work on the core. I have pain in my back a little to much.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym, you can always do hyperextensions to strengthen your lower back along with supermans. If you are into lifting weights at all Deadlifts, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, and Good Mornings are all great back strengthening exercises.