How to stop "binge eating" at night?

Options
Hey guys! So I'm starting my third week of Insanity this week and I love the program. I've been trying to follow the nutrition guide as well as I can and I do very well with it during the day, but then at night I just can't help but snack on EVERYTHING. I'm not depriving myself calorie wise or food wise, so I don't know why I do it. I've always had problems with night binging so it's not like this has just started with me starting the Insanity program, but I know that if I let it continue I won't get the results that I want. I think a lot of it is just bored eating and I don't know how to stop it! I'm not overweight or anything but still I know I wont' get the results I want on this track.
Do you think it would help to work out later at night instead of earlier in the afternoon like I do now? Ah I don't know what to do but I'm getting so frustrated! Any help or advice would be amazing. Thanks guys!

Replies

• abbyrmichel
    Options
    I do the same thing, I try to distract myself with something else because I also think it is out of boredom. I try and eat a fairly decent dinner and then allow myself a light snack around an hour later. I normally try to stay out of the kitchen and go up to my room to avoid me eating everything in the house!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Picture of how you want to look on the fridge and don't have any junk you can binge on in it, just healthy foods.
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself that eating will no longer be a recreational activity. Works for me!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I plan for an evening snack while watching TV. My favorite is a bowl of frozen fruit. Because it's frozen, it takes quite a while to eat. I can make it last for almost and entire 60 minute show.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have this same problem. I'm good all day, but the minute I walk in the door at home it's like a switch is flipped on.... I'm starving. I can tell sometimes that it's a trigger thing...almost like I equate relaxing with eating or something. Frustrating!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night so I plan for it. I eat 50% of my calories after dinner.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I changed my daily schedule. I like to go to the gym before work so I get up at 4:00 am during the week. I have my dinner between 6 and 7 and I go to bed at 9:00 pm so I don't have problems with nighttime snacking. Where my problems come in now is on weekends, sleeping in for me is 7:30 - 8:00 am and going to the movies and movie theater popcorn calls to me.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I plan for an evening snack while watching TV. My favorite is a bowl of frozen fruit. Because it's frozen, it takes quite a while to eat. I can make it last for almost and entire 60 minute show.

Me too. I just tend to eat lightly during the day so I can have a bigger dinner or snacks etc in the evening as I choose. So long as you hit your calories it doesn't matter when in the day you eat them.

I also usually have my dinner quite late, so there isn't a big gap between then and bedtime. If I have dinner earlier I often only serve up half so I can have a second helping an hour or two later (usually with masses of veg so my greedy stomach feels like it is getting plenty!). It all helps me to keep my calories in check.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    The time of day you work out does not matter. What works for one doesn't work for all. For me, I like getting my Insanity done with in the morning.

To keep me from eating 2 hours before bed, I drink green or chai tea :)
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a finite resource. Even the thoughest dudes run out if subjected day after day and so forth. You pretty much need to abolish "snack"-type foods from your house and life.

This is assuming that you want to win.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're eating enough.

2. Get enough protein, fat, fiber throughout the day.

3. Start a food journal- write down not just what you're eating but the circumstances surrounding your meals: your mood, how you feel, who you're with (no one if you're alone), and where you are. It helps to identify your triggers: foods, situations, etc and patterns/habits that you might want to change.

Binge eating (true bingeing) is an eating disorder. If you really feel out of control, get in touch with a counselor who works with disordered eating behaviors.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Plan a short walk in the evening. That way it makes you a little active and gives you some caloric breathing room if you eat back your exercise calories.

I also do reactive walking. Like one night my mother brought home Culvers and I found out how many calories that thing had I ended up mowing the lawn to burn off half of them.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Set up a schedule and eat a lot of protein? It sounds you might be doing that already but I am not that family with insanity. I used be that person eh skipped breakfast, barely ate lunch and ate no snacks, and I would always come home and binge, but since I've started eating at specific times through the day and making sure I am filling up it helps.

I wake at around 530isb on a week day, exercise, then eat a well balanced breakfast around 7 or 730 Lately I am obsessed with overnight oats because they're delicious, portable and require no work in the morning which saves times. It is also a great way to get carbs, protein and fat. I make mine with peanut butter (for some fat), Greek yogurt, almond milk, half scoop of protein powder and sometimes fruit or other additives but that's the basic recipe,I eat the, cold which is perfect after a work out and I find it keeps me full for a while. I have a snack at 10 (I work with autistic kids so we have a very set eating schedule which helps) normally this is an a bowl of cereal, greek yogurt or apple with PB2 or PB depending on how my macros are adding up for the day. I eat lunch at 1 (again my scheduled lunch break at work) normally I have a salad with form of protein, a frozen meal if I didn't get the chance to prepare something or a roll up. I have a snack at 4 PM when I get home from work, this snack entirely depending in the day but is often my great of the day, I am a big fan d the skinny cow line. I eat dinner around 6, normally with a protein,starch and veggies and I try and eat something with protein then I have my last snack around 8 or 9 lately I am a big fan d hummus and Special K sea salt chips (110 calories for 22 chips) this adds up to a total of about 1300 net calories and I find I am quite full. Morning work I outs are key becuase you fall asleep early and it gives you all say to eat your calories after kick starting your metabolism plus you're wicked tired st night is you fall asleep early
  • karenf18
    karenf18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle with over eating in the late evening! I'm good all day and find my self in the kitchen looking for anything and everything to munch on. I'm always packing lunches for the next day in the evening and know that it only tempts me to snack, pick and graze. I need to start making lunches in the morning! Looking for what others do to go to bed on an emptier stomach! :)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    bump
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Make sure your carbs are happening after your exercise and in the right amounts. I've failed to do this and found myself paying the piper in the morning.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have problems with this as well, but I have a crazy work schedule so I think that's part of it. But some of these comments really helped! gonna try some of this :)
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My "trick" is that I don't go to bed on an empty stomach. I like big dinners, so I eat like a bird all day in anticipation of a huge meal when I get home. It's easy to eat light when I'm at work and don't have a fridge full of noms to tempt me - if I don't pack it, I don't eat it. Then I'm so full from my epic viking feast that I'm not tempted to snack before bed.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem, but when I feel "snacky" at night, I like to sip on green tea and maybe SLOWLY snack on something relatively healthy- fruit, fiber bar, etc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're eating enough.

2. Get enough protein, fat, fiber throughout the day.

3. Start a food journal- write down not just what you're eating but the circumstances surrounding your meals: your mood, how you feel, who you're with (no one if you're alone), and where you are. It helps to identify your triggers: foods, situations, etc and patterns/habits that you might want to change.

Binge eating (true bingeing) is an eating disorder. If you really feel out of control, get in touch with a counselor who works with disordered eating behaviors.

I like this idea. I make it a ritual too after dinner we clean up, and then I physically shut the kitchen down for the night. Turn off lights and say to myself kitchen closed like they would at a real restaraunt.