Advice for new cyclist?

Options
I just bought a brand new beautiful new hybrid bike at the suggestion of Michigan's gas prices. I bought it for the sole intention of riding it to and from work and school- work is 1.5 miles one way and school is about 2 miles the other way. But, surprisingly, I ABSOLUTELY love cycling! I think it's because I finally have a bike that fits a 23-year-old me, when I'd been using my undersized Walmart-brand mountain bike since I was 12. (Amazing what a correct-fitting bike can do.)

Any suggestions or advice for me in terms of keeping my bike safe, making sure my equipment stays in proper shape (maintenance), the best places to bike, how to ease into distance biking... anything? I'm pretty clueless about it and just looking for some help. :)

Replies

• martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    What bike did you get? If you plan to use as a commuter, you need a good U lock. Don't leave it outside overnight ever, regardless of whether it is locked. Thieves can break the best locks if they have enough time. I am kind of paranoid about bike theft, so maybe not the best person to ask about the issue, but be wary of leaving a shiny new bike out anywhere, even locked for too long, as newer bikes are theft magnets.

If you plan to ride in rain, you should mount fenders. And you may want to get a rear rack for carrying stuff. I know you can always use a backpack, but spreading the weight of the stuff you have to carry will reduce fatigue on your shoulders.

Do you have helmet? How about a good floor pump? Bike tires should be checked at least weekly as they do lose air quicker than car tires, and unless you live right next to a bike shop, you need to be able to pump up your own tires.

What is the longest you have ridden? What are your goals in this regard? I have more thoughts, but need you to be more specific with your questions.
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's a Giant Escape 3. I bought a Giant-brand U lock as well, and I've been storing it in my apartment at night and in my workplace during the day.
    I don't plan to ride in the rain at all, but I have been looking at fenders- my city has some pretty bad roads and a LOT of puddles. Any suggestions on a rear rack?
    I have a helmet (my bike shop picked that one out for me) and, luckily enough, i do live right next to a bike shop! There's one about 10 yards from my apartment door.
    Also- I haven't ridden more than a few miles at a time before, and I haven't set any goals. I guess I'm looking for a good starting point to safely work at without injuring or over-exerting myself.
    Like I said, brand new to the biking scene, so I'm more than happy to take any advice, and if I'm not clear on something, point it out and I'll try to be specific!
  • martintanz
    Options
    Oh, and you need to mount at least one, maybe two water bottle cages on your bike if you are planning on riding any kind of distance. These are pretty cheap.
    Something like this would work fine. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_157230_-1___202543

As for distances, once you get comfortable with the bike, especially the fit and the saddle, no reason you can't take it out for a couple of hours at a time. Shoot for 10 miles and see how that feels. If that feels good, stretch it to 15 miles then 20.(you can get a bike computer, or if you have a smart phone, you could use an app like Strava or Garmin to track your miles. As for speed, just go at a pace that feels comfortable. Try to use a gear that isn't too hard. It is better to spin the pedals than to mash them. Spinning uses your heart and lungs as much as your legs to propel you, while mashing blasts the thighs mostly.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Once you get into things more, you might want to consider getting some cycling shorts, which will increase your comfort on long rides, because of the compression, and because the tight fabric won't bunch up and chafe, and cycling shorts are designed so the seams don't irritate you as you ride.
  • melissawilson61
    melissawilson61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also am fairly new to cycling. Started in earnest two years ago. My advice on distance rides is to always remember that how ever far you go out you have to go back as far. If you are having a great ride with the wind at you back remember that you will need to return with a head wind. Same goes for hills. It's a great sport and way to get and to stay in shape, plus you get to see places that you just can't see when always in a car. Hope you have a blast!!!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Stay off the sidewalks, and always ride on the correct side of the road. No one likes a salmon swimming upstream in traffic.
  • mayeast
    mayeast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Gel saddle
  • wrussell001
    wrussell001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You’ve had a lot of good advice but as in life make sure you enjoy the ride. I started at 15 miles a week for exercise and loved it, felt like a kid (I’m 61). I now do 130-150 per week with two 30 mile + “adventure rides” each day of the weekend. I’ll eat, shop (love farmer’s markets) trail ride and just goof around 3 to 5 hours sometimes. I don’t consider it exercise just fun.
    As time goes you’ll decide what you need as far as accessories & even what bike you end up with. Take your time don’t rush out & get stuff you’ll never use. I know this is sacrilege to many (& I’ll hear about it) but I don’t wear a helmet unless I’m on very,very busy streets. There uncomfortable for me & in my mind the stats don’t support it. If you feel better with one by all means wear it. Most of all have fun & enjoy the ride.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Gel saddle

Not necessarily. If OP's saddle is comfortable, I say stick with it. Saddles are a personal thing. Fit is more important than how soft and squishy it is. And fit is really a personal thing. I used to use a saddle with springs to dampen the vibrations. It was very comfortable. Then I tried a gel saddle, didn't love it, though I put it on my wife's bike and she liked it, and still uses it. Now I use a leather Brooks B17 saddle. Most comfortable saddle ever, but it is by no means soft.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Gel saddle

Not necessarily. If OP's saddle is comfortable, I say stick with it. Saddles are a personal thing. Fit is more important than how soft and squishy it is. And fit is really a personal thing. I used to use a saddle with springs to dampen the vibrations. It was very comfortable. Then I tried a gel saddle, didn't love it, though I put it on my wife's bike and she liked it, and still uses it. Now I use a leather Brooks B17 saddle. Most comfortable saddle ever, but it is by no means soft.

Soft saddles are bad, because they compress soft tissues/nerves that shouldn't be compressed. Basically, you want to sit on your bones, not your meat!

That's why endurance cyclists have hard saddles and specially designed chamois.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Get a set of allen keys. I also have a camelbak because I just think its easier than bottles.. and the greatest thing I can ever suggest to you is a pair of cycling shorts lol
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Gel saddle

Soft saddles are bad, because they compress soft tissues/nerves that shouldn't be compressed. Basically, you want to sit on your bones, not your meat!

and this ^ softer seat doesn't mean better,
  • martintanz
    Options
    Gel saddle

True, though the Gel Saddle I bought was a Planet Bike ARS Saddle, with a cutout in the middle and gel pads where you sit. It still didn't really work for me. I am loving my Brooks, though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (some small differences between commuter & road bikes) and learn how to look after minor repairs yourself.

Keep your chain, rear derailleur & cassette (gear cluster) squeaky clean (not too much oil either). Dirt buildup leads to premature wear and inaccurate shifting.

If your commuting invest in decent lights for your bike. I have a white LED blinking light on the front (and use it on all my rides) as my "see me" light, I also have a more powerful light for riding at night as my commute includes unlit bike paths (sorry to sound sexist, not something I'd recommend for a female cyclist riding by herself) and I have a red blinking LED for the back of my bike (Planet Bike SuperFlash) which I also use for all of my rides. Wear bright, high visibility colours (or a safety vest if you're riding in street clothes) and ride defensively.

Have fun and ride safe!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Like I said, brand new to the biking scene, so I'm more than happy to take any advice, and if I'm not clear on something, point it out and I'll try to be specific!

Word of advice, if you do not want amazing legs, do not bike.

With longer distance stuff, I suggest a couple things, lower profile, smoother tires. A cycling computer, and a decent pair of cycling shorts. Long distance rides can make things a little raw, and you have specialized equipment which may impact with a bike seat in unpleasant ways during a 30 mile jaunt.

Get a bottle cage installed and get a good 20-24oz bottle

Sunglasses, good, tight fitting ones.
    Toe cages or special pedals and shoes would be a nice thing to get in the future.

Other than that, just ride.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    (sorry to sound sexist, not something I'd recommend for a female cyclist riding by herself)

It's really inconsequential to attach a pistol holster to the underside of a wider bike saddle, or to keep it in a zipped pocket. I wouldn't let fear of what ifs be a reason I didn't go somewhere.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    :happy:
  • shaff1rm
    Options
    (sorry to sound sexist, not something I'd recommend for a female cyclist riding by herself)

It's really inconsequential to attach a pistol holster to the underside of a wider bike saddle, or to keep it in a zipped pocket. I wouldn't let fear of what ifs be a reason I didn't go somewhere.

I have my permit for concealed carry, no worries!
  • shaff1rm
    Options
    Lots of great advice guys, thanks! I'm glad to see I was on par with a lot of what I've already done, but I appreciate a lot of the product recommendations and tips for keeping my bike serviced!