considering Lap Band Surgery need Advice??

Options
As many of you have been through, I have lost weight over and over. I am considering Lap Band or Sleeve since I am well over 100lbs over and high BMI. I have lost and gained weight over and over but I am unsuccessful at keeping it off. I lost 50lb on MFP but I have gained 25 back. My insurance wont cover the surgery but I may pay out of pocket or a loan.

Any suggestions?? I would like to loose it the right way without surgery but my health is declining and I cant seem to keep it off. thoughts??

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    My husband and I both had RNY in spring of 2012 and have had amazing, positive results. It requires a lifelong lifestyle change, however. It is not magic. Sure, you lose weight easily and quickly initially, however you will likely soon be able to return to poor food choices and eating habits and have the weight come flying back on. If you don't make a permanent change in your eating habits and exercise activity, you will not be successful long term.

The Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies book is actually a great book that covers the basis necessities for both pre-op and post-op of a variety of different surgery options, has tons of FAQs and recipes.

My biggest tip (aside from daily exercise) is FOLLOW YOUR SURGEON'S DIRECTIONS! Don't progress too quickly, don't fall back into old habits, and stick to the criteria set for you by your surgical team.

Best wishes!
    ~Kelly
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As many of you have been through, I have lost weight over and over. I am considering Lap Band or Sleeve since I am well over 100lbs over and high BMI. I have lost and gained weight over and over but I am unsuccessful at keeping it off. I lost 50lb on MFP but I have gained 25 back. My insurance wont cover the surgery but I may pay out of pocket or a loan.

Any suggestions?? I would like to loose it the right way without surgery but my health is declining and I cant seem to keep it off. thoughts??

When I started this weight loss journey in March of last year I was @ 245 lbs and am 5"2' well over 100 lbs over my ideal weight. Since that time I have lost 57 lbs and I couldn't be happier.

You need to look at WHY you gain the weight back. Do you have unrealistic weight loss goals, do you properly account for everything you are eating, are you active?

Before spending money on a risky surgery with no guarantee of success you should probably take a good hard look at what you have done in the past and see where you went wrong. Remember that weight loss is a marathon not a sprint, you didn't put it on quickly, don't expect a Biggest Loser kind of weight loss.
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    thanks so much. I will look for the book
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You've shown you can lose it on your own. I also think you need to look at why you gained it back. Weight loss surgery is really risky and it doesn't address the reasons why you eat what you do or overeat. Look at all the risks and get the emotional help you need, then and only then get the surgery if it's your last resort. I know many people who have had weight loss surgery and sure they lost weight but they hated the negative side effects along the way that never go away and some have turned to drugs to deal with their emotional traumas since food is no longer an option. Be very careful.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    WLS is just a tool to assist you as part of an overall lifestyle change. It isn't, in itself, the lifestyle change. So if you aren't ready to change the way you eat and the amount of exercise you get, WLS probably isn't going to be a long term solution for you. It will work in the short term, but if you aren't willing to shed the old habits of eating and inactivity, that weight will creep back on. I've seen it time and time again.

I believe in the value of WLS (I'm blessed I have not been in a position to need it, but would consider it if I was) but it's important to remember that they don't put a sleeve on your brain that keeps you from wanting to feed your emotions or sit on the couch when you should be taking a walk. It's only on your tummy to reduce your overall food intake. So if you aren't ready to shed the old thinking, I'd really think long and hard about putting your body through something that drastic that may not have lasting value for you. IMHO.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A family member did the sleeve and does not recommend the procedure. As with all procedures, the key to losing weight and keeping it off is to cut calorie consumption and eat right. Surgery is not the answer... everyone I know who went in for surgery gained weight back, and also had to deal with the side effects of the surgery. I would recommend you see a nutritionist and seek other alternatives. :smile:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would seriously reconsider the lap band... Do some research - they do not work well, and they cause all sorts of issues when they slip or erode the stomach, etc. Not to mention you have to pay to have it filled and unfilled etc. And most people just dont lose much with it, and are miserable most of the time.

RNY and DS are pretty drastic, and unless you are probably closer to 200 over, probably not worth it yet. Be sure to ask people or research on forums the "bathroom" life of people who have this as well as the vitamin regimen, as both can be major changes. They are certainly worth it if you life is at stake due to your weight, but at "only" 100 pounds over, you have some time still.

The sleeve is a good compromise - it gives you a lot of the benefits of RNY and DS (it is actually 1/2 of the DS procedure) but without messing with your intestines (read about RNY and DS "dumping" and other issues). For people with less to lose it is a more reasonable choice. And if it does not work, you can still have the RNY or DS if truly needed (though unlikely).

Check out LOTS of forums and talk to lots of people about their "after" life at different stages before you pick any certain one, if you choose to go that route. ANd like the previous poster said, be very sure you follow all directions - this is an "aid" to weight loss, not a miracle cure. It is also not a long term "fix" - it buys you a year or two of time to get your body and mind adjusted to a new life style. If you only use it for the short term weight loss and do not change your lifestyle, it will be back nearly as fast as it went.

Good luck!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    thats a very personal decision. I have a few friends and family members do it. It has worked well for most. If it is heath related I would consider it. But for me not to be able to eat or drink anything I want for the rest of my life! Is not something I want to do. I have done very well so far on the site w/ the support. Its not rocket science. Eat your calories and exercise. I tried every fad diet and pill for a decade and now im like duh! its so simple. Yes some days are hard and you will cheat and mess up but thats life. Just get back at it and dont let it get you down. Also you have to stay on liquids for like 2 weeks if you can do that than you can just do it yourself. Thats just my opinion. But I see you've lost 50 on here before? You can do it. Maybe dont be so strick on yourself. Make yourself a once or twice a week cheat day. Just log anything you put in your mouth to keep you accountable. I still have steak, hotdogs, hamburgers, ice cream not everyday but If I want if I just make sure its in w/in my calories or go for a walk.
  • jaksmom060567
    jaksmom060567 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the steps to have the sleeve surgery. My doctor makes you go to two support group meetings before the surgery. I have been attending and its been very educational. All the people who have had any of the surgeries are so open for questions. There hasn't been anyone yet that I have come across that would NOT do it again. They all seem to love it and it has changed their lives. Maybe you can find a support group in your area and check it out. :smile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. It's dangerous, evasive, & major surgery. It is also expensive as well as the after care. Your diet will be limited, forever. PLUS you still have to restrict calories and exercise to see weight loss, just with a bunch of other complications and restrictions placed on top of it.

So if you have to watch your caloric intake anyways, what's the point? If you don't you will not lose the weight or keep it off, even with the band.

Best of luck to you.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the steps to have the sleeve surgery. My doctor makes you go to two support group meetings before the surgery. I have been attending and its been very educational. All the people who have had any of the surgeries are so open for questions. There hasn't been anyone yet that I have come across that would NOT do it again. They all seem to love it and it has changed their lives. Maybe you can find a support group in your area and check it out. :smile:

Same here. I have gone to additional support groups, and I have also talked to people who have had the gastric bypass surgery and had setbacks, to get both sides of things. It is a very personal decision, I made my decision with the help of my physician, surgeon, therapist, family and friends. Look into it thoroughly and make the best decision for YOU.

7396232.png
  • ratkins811
    Options
    thank all of you for the responses and the great points you bring up. I guess in my heart I want to lose it without surgery and try to deal with the issues of why I over eat. Thanks again.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Why don't you openly discuss the issues here - you'll get good insights from others that might help you break a pattern.

Things to think about:

- What is your current lifestype?
    - How do you prepare your food?
    - What made you gain the last 25?
    - What do you want to achieve?
    - How are you currently working on it?

Openly discuss these, and others and people will give you good (and bad, alas) input.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who did it- initially she lost a lot of weight and looked amazing. Since then she has gained some of it back - though not all of it. She looks a lot older than she is and she is no longer thin (more average or bigger). I have considered it myself a lot but I figure if I have to make a change anyway I might as well do it on my terms without any additional complications.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I considered it.

However, I know that being the type of person that I am, one that tends to look at life's problems like a Rubic's Cube, I would work the system.

I would eat high cal stuff all the time and I would gain the weight back after I lost the initial amount and the honeymoon had faded.

Plus, I would like to see, perhaps twenty years down the road, what the long-term ramifications are going to be. A lot of things come to light after decades pass. I was happy to find that I am doing ok losing it on my own. It's not a picnic but then again, it's not impossible. It's changes over time.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
  • Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 on my own before having my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, i kept counting my calories and exercising and was yo-yoing 10 lbs in 3 years so that is when I decided to do the Sleeve after not being able to lose anymore on my own, but like some people say, it is just a tool. U gotta work ur tool. U gotta continue to watch ur calorie intake and up your protein and exercise. I did it for health reasons, my dad had two strokes and a heart attack and he was obese. My mom died at the age of 58 and she was obese. I wanted to see my son grow up and see my grandchildren so i did it and now i no longer have high blood pressure and am off all meds. My best friend decided to do it after I did and now she is diabetic free. I researched for a year about all the surgeries and the less evasive one to me was the sleeve, you don't get mal absorption, my hair didn't fall out at all, i can eat whatever I want just very little (so that lady that said "she wouldn't want not to eat whatever she wanted for the rest of her life" is not true with every individual). I have no regrets. I have joined my friend in selling affordable WLS at Bariatric Solutions Group if you want to take a look. It is a life changing decision and you have to be mentally prepared for it. I thank my surgeon every time i see him for saving my life. I couldn't feel better.
  • playsallyplay
    Options
    WOW!!! 209 lost - congratulations!!! Im down a little over 100. have 60 to go.....
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't do it. :)
    Instead, perhaps you can benefit from some therapy to see why you gain the weight back. I know some people that had the surgery and re-gained most, if not all the weight back. Also, you just won't look as good as losing the weight naturally. I've noticed some people that get that surgery look older, flabby, saggy, no muscle. Nothing like doing things the healthy, normal way. This is very much a life style change, so unless you change your life style then you will gain it back no matter what. Also, I noticed on your profile you mention healthy food is very expensive. I agree! It sucks that we have to pay more for healthy food, but your food determines your health and everything starts with your health. I've learned to prioritize my income and spend those extra dollars on healthy food. 100 lbs, you can TOTALLY do it. You already know what it takes to lose weight, you've done it before.
  • symkat
    symkat Posts: 70
    Options
    I know alot of people who have had the surgery. My mom had it when I was a teenager, 2 of my sister in laws had it, several friends. I'd say about 15 people I know have had it and it only worked for one person. The bottom line is that it seems to only work really well for people who over eat because they are physicaly hungry. If you over eat for emotional reasons or because of severe cravings it is not as likely to work because you will continue to eat as much as you can and push the limits of what your stomache can handle. Also remember that the surgery only serves to make your stomache smaller so that you are full faster but it doesn't keep you from eating extremely fattening and unhealthy foods. One of my in laws had the surgery and she is the only one it worked on that I know personaly and she is thin and much healthier but her skin is very saggy and loose and she now looks 20 years older than she did when she was fat. Just be sure that you have all the information before you do something so drastic. Find out why you over eat and see if there is another way. Always get ALL the facts before jumping in. I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.
  • ratkins811
    Options
    Why don't you openly discuss the issues here - you'll get good insights from others that might help you break a pattern.

Things to think about:

- What is your current lifestype?
    - How do you prepare your food?
    - What made you gain the last 25?
    - What do you want to achieve?
    - How are you currently working on it?

Openly discuss these, and others and people will give you good (and bad, alas) input.

I am not very active because it is so painful to move. I cook when I am up to it but not as much as I should. I think I gained back the 25 lb this last time because I got lazy and not really monitoring my food. Went on vacation, over ate etc. I'm not looking to be thin and I'm too old (53 y/o) to care about how I look in a swim suit. I just want to be albe to walk with my 80 y/o parents without getting so worn out. I really want to feel better and fit it... if that makes any sense.