Not trying to lose weight, just get healthy

Options
ren_ascent
ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
I have not been overweight before or since my first child. I can see some people rolling their eyes already. I just want to say my goals are different. I want to be healthy. I want my energy back. I do not want to be sitting in the doctors office in 5 or 10 years hearing about diabetes treatment. It drives me nuts when people push junk food on me because I'm "not fat" and "can get away with it". I tell them it's preventative and they shush me like I have no reason to be concerned.

I go through phases. I yo-yo from eating as much fat, preservatives, sugar and salt as the average American. Right now I'm doing better. I'm working out regularly, eating better, and most importantly FEELING better! Even someone who is within the limits of their BMI can feel like crap if they eat the wrong thing.

Bottom line, I can't personally relate to some of you who have bigger and more daunting challenges than I do. However, a grilled fish taco is a grilled fish taco and NOT a fast food burger and I'd love to give you the recipe :flowerforyou:

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This post is weird to me. People will eye roll because you're not overweight? Lucky you. You can give support without knowing someone's specific battle.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    That's because I am weird, apparently.

I don't get support because the people in my life, excluding my husband and 1 friend, do exactly that when I tell them what I'm doing. They offer me a piece of cake, I say "No thank you, I'm trying not to eat junk food". Insert eye-roll and previously mentioned comments. I guess I was simply venting since I am willing to give my support but rarely recieve it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    That's because I am weird, apparently.

I don't get support because the people in my life, excluding my husband and 1 friend, do exactly that when I tell them what I'm doing. They offer me a piece of cake, I say "No thank you, I'm trying not to eat junk food". Insert eye-roll and previously mentioned comments. I guess I was simply venting since I am willing to give my support but rarely recieve it.

Oh ok, so this is your post/vent to your family/friends. I was thinking you were talking to us on the boards and it seemed odd that you would think we would roll our eyes because you aren't overweight. Sorry your family isn't supportive. Do what is best for you. Can't go wrong being healthy.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    One "acceptable" way to "deal" with the offers of "crap" is to "go" gluten free (or avoid added sugar, if you have diabetes in your family). In my case, it really does affect how I feel, but it's not unhealthy to avoid gluten - just means you "also" can't eat some perfectly healthy things if you want to "maintain" the "act" (like a real whole wheat bread sandwich with a healthy filling). Some on this list who HAVE to be GF may see this as "wrong" (on several levels), but if it allows you to more easily eat healthy....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One "acceptable" way to "deal" with the offers of "crap" is to "go" gluten free (or avoid added sugar, if you have diabetes in your family). In my case, it really does affect how I feel, but it's not unhealthy to avoid gluten - just means you "also" can't eat some perfectly healthy things if you want to "maintain" the "act" (like a real whole wheat bread sandwich with a healthy filling). Some on this list who HAVE to be GF may see this as "wrong" (on several levels), but if it allows you to more easily eat healthy....

"what"?
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    Oy vey . . . nevermind. Methinks this post was a mistake and if you few who accidentaly stumbled upon it can manage, please disregard. I started it as a confusing mess and now it's getting worse. Adue until we post again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This post is weird to me. People will eye roll because you're not overweight? Lucky you. You can give support without knowing someone's specific battle.

Though I don't have people push junk food on me, I think I get where the OP is coming from. I was never overweight until about the time I hit 40. I've never been obese, never had a problem with binge eating or an addiction to or even love for fast food to break. I've eaten healthy for decades and have no problem doing so now. So, it is hard for me to relate to those with 100+ lbs to lose or those that do well all week just to undo all their hard work with a weekend binge.

That doesn't mean I don't have my own struggles. Having found being thin so easy when I was younger it's hard to face that it requires more effort now. I struggle to keep exercising regularly even though I know I'll gain and likely have health problems if I don't.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    aside from right after having babies, I've never been bigger, either. In fact, usually always smaller and looking to put on the weight. I'm glad you are doing this preemptively and taking charge of your health. Though, I would maybe advise not coming to the boards with that intro. Regardless where our story began, we can all be of support, inspiration and motivation to others. Best of luck!!
  • rcolemere
    rcolemere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing. All of us here are probably overweight and feel terrible about ourselves. You on the other hand come in here with the whole, "Im not overweight and stuff...", that just makes us feel worse. Maybe you should join a golds gym blog or something and leave us chubbies alone!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing. All of us here are probably overweight and feel terrible about ourselves. You on the other hand come in here with the whole, "Im not overweight and stuff...", that just makes us feel worse. Maybe you should join a golds gym blog or something and leave us chubbies alone!

she may not have worded that right, but this is My FITNESS pal. She has just as much right to be here as anyone else here.
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be those who aren't going to be supportive unless they can directly relate to you (see themselves in you). As long as you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I would stick to your guns and tell them to leave you alone. If they fear you have a bigger problem, they may be trying to intervene with their comments.

This particular site tends to lend itself more to weightloss, but it's a great place to "stay fit" once you achieve success too. Some of us (myself including) are just trying to lean out and look better for our vanity or "feel stronger". Others out there are trying to save their own lives with weight loss and might get a little offended at some posts. Everyone has their own reason for being here and each is important to them. Not everyone sees it that way, but choose your friends based on similar interests and I'm sure those people will support you.

Feel free to send me a friend request. I won't DEMAND you eat cake or another sandwich :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No, the thing is that not everyone here is overweight. And certainly not everyone feels terrible about themselves. You suggesting that someone leave because they are not overweight is as bad as those that fat shame.

This fitness site is a great weight loss tool, because being at a healthy weight is part of being fit. But fitness is not 100% about weight loss.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    People have lots of different reasons for being here. Many are trying to lose weight, but some are trying to get bigger, some are maintaining their weight but looking for accountability for exercise or whatever. You might find a group that suits your dietary methods and you can compare with.

I'm maintaining my weight right now but I may go for bulk and I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macros... and sometimes I even let that slide. But there are others who are looking for the same thing as you... you just have to be patient and look for them.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am here to get healthier.
    Though I did want to lose weight, I was never really overweight. I was on the higher side of acceptable for my height, and I wanted to be at the lower end. ( from what I have read and been told, a healthy weight range for my body is 130-160. I went from 146 to 134)

I want to eat better, be healthier and stronger to help with my chronic pain-illness issues... And avoid osteoporosis.

I am watching my macros and lifting weights. I, too, get the comments that I should just eat the cake (or whatever goodie) because I am not overweight and can handle it. I have found that a lot of eating is about fellowship and celebrating others. Turning down cake at a birthday party, or turing down goodies at a special celebration seems to offend people, like eating the treat is a ritual to show you like the person. So I have a piece a cake, just eat half of it. Everyone is happy.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Huh? I recently joined for the fitness aspect of this site, not because I'm overweight. Sheesh!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

It's not My Diet Pal or My Weightloss Pal... It's My Fitness Pal.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    I am here to get healthier.
    Though I did want to lose weight, I was never really overweight. I was on the higher side of acceptable for my height, and I wanted to be at the lower end. ( from what I have read and been told, a healthy weight range for my body is 130-160. I went from 146 to 134)

I want to eat better, be healthier and stronger to help with my chronic pain-illness issues... And avoid osteoporosis.

I am watching my macros and lifting weights. I, too, get the comments that I should just eat the cake (or whatever goodie) because I am not overweight and can handle it. I have found that a lot of eating is about fellowship and celebrating others. Turning down cake at a birthday party, or turing down goodies at a special celebration seems to offend people, like eating the treat is a ritual to show you like the person. So I have a piece a cake, just eat half of it. Everyone is happy.

I could just google it, but I see a few people posting about macros. What exactly is that? I do like your advice though, moderation over obstinance. Part of my stubborness stems from fearing the snowball effect and the fact that I'm a very small person. One peice of cake sends me over my calorie/sugar/fat limit almost instantly.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    There is always going to be those who aren't going to be supportive unless they can directly relate to you (see themselves in you). As long as you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I would stick to your guns and tell them to leave you alone. If they fear you have a bigger problem, they may be trying to intervene with their comments.

This particular site tends to lend itself more to weightloss, but it's a great place to "stay fit" once you achieve success too. Some of us (myself including) are just trying to lean out and look better for our vanity or "feel stronger". Others out there are trying to save their own lives with weight loss and might get a little offended at some posts. Everyone has their own reason for being here and each is important to them. Not everyone sees it that way, but choose your friends based on similar interests and I'm sure those people will support you.

Feel free to send me a friend request. I won't DEMAND you eat cake or another sandwich :)

Thanks :) I really am looking for people who can relate to my fitness goals.
  • lizziejae1
    Options
    What is the matter with all these people? Good for you looking to long-term good health. Keep on keeping on with this well done. Do not be derailed by others.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to your macros, too. Just give yourself a reasonable amount of calories for weight maintenance, and track your macros (it's carb, protein, fat). That way you'll eat a more balanced diet. And make sure you are active and exercise, it's just as important for good health.