Good foods to lose weight ?

enelson96
enelson96 Posts: 14 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I eat mostly fruit and sometimes veggies. I will eat cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Noodles every once in a while when I have nothing else at my house to eat.

What are some great foods to generate weight loss? And looking at my foods am I eating the wrong things if I want to be losing weight?

Replies

• absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Good foods to lose weight have not been packaged, processed, etc. Make things yourself, e.g. bake your own bread when you can, get into gardening... basically whole foods or items with minimal ingredients are usually your best bet. Of course there are the 'eat berries and drink green tea and tons of protein' arguments, but really savoring your meals and enjoying your food and slowing down help more than buying tons of meal replacement bars or going crazy with 'diet foods.' basically you could eat anything, just eat smaller portions. be mindful of what goes into your body and you'll lose weight, i promise you.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    heres some that i like-> whole grains instead of white bread, i quit drinking sweet tea i drink green tea and mix it with fruit flovors and sweetin it a lil with splenda, limit myself to soda including diet drinks, water water water.... and always read labels when grocery shopping and compare sometimes whats supposed to seem healthy and wholesome isnt... good luck to you
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Love my oatmeal and my yogurt. They have become my staples.
  • Google 'healing foods pyramid' -- you want the Michigan University one. Click on each band for more info. It'll give you items to look for and also distinguish between good and bad fats.
  • John8188
    John8188 Posts: 54
    I would cut down on fruits and cut out the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Have open faced tuna sandwiches instead. I bought a food scale for $20 and use it every meal. I just take the time and it helps. I also buy a bag of lettuce and serve most meals on a bed of it . It help fill u up for very few cals.
  • Read food labels! If you don't recognize a lot of ingredients or they are hard to pronounce... I wouldn't recommend buying it!

Big things to avoid in food:

- High Fructose Corn Syrup (Causes you not to feel as full so you eat more... also a study was done that found traces of mercury? This is banned in other countries, but the FDA allows anything with a big enough dollar sign)
    - Partially Hydrogenated Oils (Trans fats! Need I say more?)
    - Propyl Gallate (Possibly linked to cancer)
    - Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
    - Aspartame (Linked to Cancer)
    - Potassium bromate (rare, but causes cancer, not legal in some countries outside U.S)
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    here's what I try to stick to~
    100% whole grains...pasta, bread, cereals
    fresh fruit & veggies
    lean proteins.....chicken, fish, turkey
    low-fat dairy, yogurts, cheese
    healthy fats.....whole, unsalted almonds & walnuts, peanut butter, EVOO

eat as natural as you can...avoid processed foods>>> lots of salt, sugar and artificial (fake) ingredients. the "cleaner" you eat the better your body will function and more energy you will have all day long.

just try to find balance and what works for you....and have your favorites in moderation. :flowerforyou:
  • CinthyNair
    CinthyNair Posts: 261
    Some of the good foods I consume are oatmeal and yellow raisins for breakfast, or you can try Quaker's Multigrain cereal, it's not bad. I also drink skimmed milk for the calcium especially now that I have up'ed my workouts. I eat tuna at least 3-4 times a week, together with variety of salads. If you need to eat bread, try the wholegrain types. My PT tells me to drink a glass of water, and then a fruit before having lunch or dinner .... over the weekends, I make fruit/vege smoothies :)
This discussion has been closed.