How much is not enough?

Options

Replies

• haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The minimum amount of calories you should eat a day are 1200. It gives the body enough energy to run properly. Unless told by a doctor, you shouldn't be eating less than this amount.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    In my opinion 950 is too low. In my opinion and experience, 1200 is too low. From what I have read, and based on my own experience, a small calorie deficit is best for fat/weight loss. You should be probably eating at least that 1200 and your exercise cals.

Food is fuel - eat too little for too long, and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    From the Guidelines:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Your body needs those calories just to run itself. It's definitely not the healthy way to lose weight. Without a doctor's request and supervision, I wouldn't go down that path.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I went that route once, because I didn't think I could lose any other way.

You know what happened? I lost a crapton of lean mass, which meant when I got to my goal weight, I was flabby and miserable.

THIS time around, doing things right, I ate about 1800-2000+ calories a day, and lost mainly body fat while keeping my lean mass.

Here's what a difference that makes. First photo is me at 130 pounds when I ate under 1000 calories a day. Second is eating about 2000 calories a day. Same weight.

five-years-later.jpg

The jeans in the back were the size 8 jeans I was soooo thrilled to be able to squeeze into at 130 pounds in 2007. This time around at 130 pounds, I wear a size 2 or 4. (The jeans in the photo are size 5, though.) I'm about 2 inches smaller all over.

IMG_3265.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you drop your calories to 950. You exercise off about 300. You are now living off of 650 calories a day, which is dangerously low. Be prepared for your hair to fall out and other fun things like that.
    It's not that bad. At least I am eating something.

But you don't have an eating disorder you say? That's classic ED right there.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not going to see a psychologist.
    Of what I do eat it will be healthy and should keep me going throughout the day.
    I also don't have an eating disorder.

Honey, I'm pretty sure you DO have an eating disorder. You're in denial about it, though, and it could be damaging your health. Your body will soon go into starvation mode and not only start hoarding the calories you eat but shutting down bodily functions -- like menstruation, hair and bone growth, and you could develop deficiency diseases. This is serious. You sound pretty young. Please talk to your mother or another trusted advisor. See your doctor. No eating plan is healthy at under 1000 net calories per day!
  • atragicfate
    Options
    From the Guidelines:

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.
    I am not promoting anything!
    I asked a very simple question.
    I don't need to hear this.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you drop your calories to 950. You exercise off about 300. You are now living off of 650 calories a day, which is dangerously low. Be prepared for your hair to fall out and other fun things like that.

That's a reply like this that proves you have an eating disorder. The first step is to admit it.
    You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. Your body will catabolize muscles and you'll end up skinny fat, weak and with health issues. Do it the right way.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Your body needs vitamins and minerals for proper function. People on low calorie diets do not get enough.

Potassium deficiency results in weakness, erratic heart rhythm, and death. Low blood sodium can result in confusion, seizures, erratic heart rhythm. Calcium deficiency results in thinning of the bones. Magnesium deficiency results in heart-rhythm problems. Lack of iron causes anemia. Vitamin deficiencies cause hair loss, inflammations, susceptibility to infection, muscle pain, confusion, and hosts of other problems.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    From the Guidelines:

I am not promoting anything!
    I asked a very simple question.
    I don't need to hear this.

You asked and you don't want to accept that everyone is telling you it is not enough.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I am not going to see a psychologist.
    Of what I do eat it will be healthy and should keep me going throughout the day.
    I also don't have an eating disorder.

Honey, I'm pretty sure you DO have an eating disorder. You're in denial about it, though, and it could be damaging your health. Your body will soon go into starvation mode and not only start hoarding the calories you eat but shutting down bodily functions -- like menstruation, hair and bone growth, and you could develop deficiency diseases. This is serious. You sound pretty young. Please talk to your mother or another trusted advisor. See your doctor. No eating plan is healthy at under 1000 net calories per day!

Even 1000 cals is too low. Never eat under your BMR (unless you're highly obese).
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went that route once, because I didn't think I could lose any other way.

You know what happened? I lost a crapton of lean mass, which meant when I got to my goal weight, I was flabby and miserable.

THIS time around, doing things right, I ate about 1800-2000+ calories a day, and lost mainly body fat while keeping my lean mass.

Here's what a difference that makes. First photo is me at 130 pounds when I ate under 1000 calories a day. Second is eating about 2000 calories a day. Same weight.

five-years-later.jpg

The jeans in the back were the size 8 jeans I was soooo thrilled to be able to squeeze into at 130 pounds in 2007. This time around at 130 pounds, I wear a size 2 or 4. (The jeans in the photo are size 5, though.) I'm about 2 inches smaller all over.

IMG_3265.jpg

This is pretty compelling! Congratulations for doing it the right way this time!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    that is far too low, if you are eating 950 and still exercising you are doing something dangerous for your overall health.

I have lost 75 lbs, on non-workout days I still eat 1500 a day, today as an example when I did my run, metabolics and yard work I should be closer to 2000. What you are suggesting is not going to give you long term success and is not healthy.

I eat VERY healthy, clean, lean meats, tons of veggies and high protein and 100% gluten free (I'm celiac).
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Eat more and lift weights! You'll burn fat, you'll be fit, lean, tight, strong and you'll thrive.
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'd keep eating at least 1200 calories a day. Try exercising a little bit more or do weight training to tone the muscles you have. Muscles burn fat, and if you're not consuming enough calories, you can't build muscles.

Also, if you're not eating enough, your body will store every bit of fat it gets, since it won't be sure when it will get more. You'll hinder your weight loss if you're not eating enough.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Beyond ridiculous. Totally unhealthy and you're diving right into an eating disorder no matter how much you deny it.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? As in, your current weight/height, and you want to get to what weight?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh, how active are you? What's your 950kcal food plan look like?

Your body needs essential nutrients to be healthy how do you plan on meeting those with 950kcals? I assume you will cut out exercise correct?
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well Miserable Kate, I would say that you'll be more miserable if you drop below 1200 calories. If you're not losing the weight now, it's only gonna get worse if you drop to 950 calories. We all stall. When people are saying to see a Doctor, they're probably talking about someone to check your thyroid, blood work...all that stuff. At least go see a nutritionist. They'll set you on the right track, and if they're half way decent, the will tell you that it's crazy to only eat 950 calories a day.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.