Running weight gain

Options
Does anyone else gain weight while training for a marathon? I'm up 10lbs. I'm eating healthy and getting lots of water. I'm running between 27 and 30 miles a week.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's not uncommon - your body stores more glycogen in response to the additional training load and 1g of glycogen bonds with 3g of water for storage in muscle.

When you say you're eating healthy does that mean your eating at or below maintenance? (I know on long run days I'm absolutely famished........)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In addition to increased glycogen storage, if you are running in hot weather your blood volume increases to allow it to both cool the body and provide oxygen to the muscles at the same time. This can account for up to 6 pounds.

However, it is still possible to gain weight by eating too much so you should be occasionally using the tape measure to make sure there is no bad weight being added.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium. Check your food. Don't let anyone tell you it's muscle. Unless you are taking steroids it is NOT.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9024227
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It may be that you're consuming more calories than you think you are. Healthy food is great! But eating too much, even if it's healthy can cause you to gain weight. Figure out your calorie goal and then weigh and measure everything for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/do-you-overeat-after-a-hard-run

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/miles-and-meals

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/why-am-i-gaining-weight

Here are some articles I had come across on Runners World's website a while back on the same subject. Hope this helps!
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump:)

Eta: great job on the half marathon, I would have told you Sunday, but I didn't think you did it yet! Lol
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    In addition to increased glycogen storage, if you are running in hot weather your blood volume increases to allow it to both cool the body and provide oxygen to the muscles at the same time. This can account for up to 6 pounds.

However, it is still possible to gain weight by eating too much so you should be occasionally using the tape measure to make sure there is no bad weight being added.

Really?? Interesting!!! This would account for why my weight rises after a run but goes back down again after a rest day!
  • mojohowitz
    Options

I would like to see a study to support this.
  • jaymibecca
    jaymibecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this helps. I am eating at or below my calorie goal. I'm not a big eater so I know that's not it.
  • jaymibecca
    Options
    I am famished the day after. I crave sugary foods the next day too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-076///MP-076-$KN4.pdf

from page 4.
    Most studies report that heat acclimation increases total body water (81). The magnitude of increase ranges from 2.0 to 3.0 liters or ~ 5% to 7% of total body water. . . . If total body water and ECF increase after heat acclimation, then expansion of blood volume might be expected. . . . Heat acclimation increases blood volume through differential effects on erythrocyte and plasma volumes. . . . Heat acclimation studies report that plasma volume expansion, generally ranged from 0% to 30%, and the magnitude of increase is somewhat dependent on whether the person is at rest or performing exercise, the heat acclimation day and the hydration state when measurements are made
  • mojohowitz
    Options

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-076///MP-076-$KN4.pdf

from page 4.
    Most studies report that heat acclimation increases total body water (81). The magnitude of increase ranges from 2.0 to 3.0 liters or ~ 5% to 7% of total body water. . . . If total body water and ECF increase after heat acclimation, then expansion of blood volume might be expected. . . . Heat acclimation increases blood volume through differential effects on erythrocyte and plasma volumes. . . . Heat acclimation studies report that plasma volume expansion, generally ranged from 0% to 30%, and the magnitude of increase is somewhat dependent on whether the person is at rest or performing exercise, the heat acclimation day and the hydration state when measurements are made

Awesome!! Thanks for the study. I still can't figure out if the subjects were exposed to the heat 24/7 for the trial period or just for the time they were exercising as would be the case for me. Still, pretty interesting.
  • jaymibecca
    Options
    Bump:)

Eta: great job on the half marathon, I would have told you Sunday, but I didn't think you did it yet! Lol

Thanks Sarah! It'll be interesting to see what the scale does now that I'm taking a little break!
  • wyldrunner
    wyldrunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Scott,
    Thanks for posting that link! I have been looking all over for the science on this!!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My first guess would also be glycogen which happens pretty often with marathon training. I'm thinking you'll drop it fast once you begin the recovery period.

I'm not running nearly as much as you but have a tendency to drop a nice chunk of weight when I skip a run.
    Check your sodium. Check your food. Don't let anyone tell you it's muscle. Unless you are taking steroids it is NOT.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9024227

Not one person before or after you said she was building muscle, lol.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yikes, just noticed how old the OP is. Sorry, didn't mean to bump this thing. Very interesting about the blood volume thing though! It's the first time I'm hearing about it.