Ready to quit...

Options
A little background... I have always struggled with my weight. After my deployment in 2011/2012 I was my smallest size of 169lbs. My waist no matter my weight has only been within 1/2 inch of where it has always been, except for now where it is 2 inches off. Well, here is the thing... I am in the military, and they frown apon my waist size. I had my baby boy 6 months ago, which means... I have a fitness test due in 10 days. And I am in no shape form or fashion ready... I have a personal trainer that I see frequently and I have cut back on everything that I eat and have increased all of my activities. But my waist isn't going anywhere. I have tried working out, sit ups and cardio, I've tried pills, I've tried water and I've tried the It Works wraps, but nothing is helping... I need some sort of help. I'm so nervous about my fitness test that I am litteraly sick. I went to go run on the track day before yesterday and litteraly threw up looking at it. And did so again today after they told me the bumped my test up from the end of the month to 10 days from now...
What can I do and how can I stay motivated when my weight and my waist aren't going anywhere? (And pushups!)

Any good suggestions...?

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    A little background... I have always struggled with my weight. After my deployment in 2011/2012 I was my smallest size of 169lbs. My waist no matter my weight has only been within 1/2 inch of where it has always been, except for now where it is 2 inches off. Well, here is the thing... I am in the military, and they frown apon my waist size. I had my baby boy 6 months ago, which means... I have a fitness test due in 10 days. And I am in no shape form or fashion ready... I have a personal trainer that I see frequently and I have cut back on everything that I eat and have increased all of my activities. But my waist isn't going anywhere. I have tried working out, sit ups and cardio, I've tried pills, I've tried water and I've tried the It Works wraps, but nothing is helping... I need some sort of help. I'm so nervous about my fitness test that I am litteraly sick. I went to go run on the track day before yesterday and litteraly threw up looking at it. And did so again today after they told me the bumped my test up from the end of the month to 10 days from now...
    What can I do and how can I stay motivated when my weight and my waist aren't going anywhere? (And pushups!)

Any good suggestions...?

You mean all that does not motivate you?
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a brother in the military so have heard about those darn fitness tests :(

Have you seen a doctor to make sure all your hormones are back to normal after your pregnancy? That can effect weight loss!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I have tried working out, sit ups and cardio, I've tried pills, I've tried water and I've tried the It Works wraps, but nothing is helping...

have you tried a healthy caloric deficit, exercise, and patience?

those 3 things will be the keys to your success, i promise you.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am sure your waist is not as big as you say it is......trust me we all think we are bigger than we really are.

Give yourself a break girl...,didn't you say you just had a baby 6 months ago. Well I would faint thinking about doing any fitness test after not so long giving birth. Besides you want to spend all your time with the little one

Why don't you drink lots and lots of water the next 10 days, eat as clean as you can, and try and do some light jogging, then running, go slowly, then try and increase your speeds, set small targets every day.....

Just don't be too hard on yourself....I am sure you will do fine!!!!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options

Any good suggestions...?

You mean all that does not motivate you?

obviously not that is why she is asking
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree with the healthy calorie deficit, cardio and exercise thing. My waist is my problem area too and it is very important to make sure that it doesn't lead to diabetes down the road, so I have to keep on it. There is no way that you can healthily lose a lot of weight in 10 days, certainly not targeting your waist only so try to relax, eat well, drink water and exercise over the next 10 days. Stress also can lead to weight gain.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    have you been tracking your food? exercising?
    if so, how long have you been at it?
    can you open your diary to let us take a look at what youve been up to?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Colonics (ew, but I think that is the only thing that can artificially help your waist in a short amount of time), boiled chicken, broccoli, cucumber, and celery, and keep exercising. Don't eat or drink water on the day of the test until after they check your waist and weight, hopefully this is before your actual fitness part of the test, and you can eat a power bar and water after they measure you to fuel your test. I wouldn't normally recommend this to ANYONE, but if it is a one time thing to get you to pass......I really wish you good luck. SO sorry this is causing you anxiety, it's so hard to get everything to go back to where is was after giving birth.
  • AshleyNDavis12
    Options
    Of course it motivates me. If it didn't motivate me I wouldn't be at the gym all the time. And would eat the food I get to make for my husband while I eat rabbit food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Ask for an extension on the fitness test if you're breast feeding.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do not do anything too crazy (with your diet) that your run time, pushup or sit-ups suffer. While at the gym, consider wearing a waist band (this will only reduce water weight-not actual weight but may help on the waist measurement during the test.
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    You can't trouble spot reduce, but if you keep plugging away your body will change for the better. There's no quick fix. Stick with it!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Of course it motivates me. If it didn't motivate me I wouldn't be at the gym all the time. And would eat the food I get to make for my husband while I eat rabbit food.

Just ignore the negative people. I have unfortunately encountered a few of them on this forum lately. I have found the hard way that it's best just to ignore those posts and answer the positive ones. Good luck!!!!
  • AshleyNDavis12
    Options

Any good suggestions...?

I have personal trainer that I see twice a week and work out 3 times outside of that a week. I started seeing my traininer after my 6 week check up to get the all clear from the doctor.
    I have plenty of reason to work out, and I do. So don't tell me that i have no motivation. But you know what after 5 months constant working out and eating like a damn rabbit and nothing working, then sorry if I feel a little at a loss for why it isn't going anywhere.
    I've cut down my intake, I've worked on everything and have my trainer push me. But it has not made any difference.

I have not seen a docotor... I never even considered it to be a hormone thing. All of my family is obease. Every one of them. I'm the only one that is small(ish) and I know that they all have diabitese and a good chunk of them have hormone problems and thyroid problems contributing...
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on your new addition. I retired after 20 years in the AF, and I know all too well the stress of that blasted test, and it only gets harder each year. After the birth of my second son, I realized that no matter what I did, my weight never budged from my delivery discharge weight. After pestering my PCM and explaining everything, he finally agreed to have my blood work tested. I now have hypothyroid disease. Joy. It makes it harder, but at least I knew why I couldn't get the weight off. Being so close to your test date, I do not know how much help you can get. Let's face it, this is no longer a kinder, gentler AF. My suggestion is to make an apt with your PCM, get a referral to the HAWC. Have a copy of your food and fitness log ready to show both the PCM and HAWC rep. Talk to your supervisor, try to get him on your side. If you fail, due to your waist, you have already shown that you are proactive in this fight. With the help of the HAWC and hospital, they might be able to figure out why you are not dropping inches. Good luck and do not give up.
  • lindacoombs1
    Options
    I was the same, I am still nursing though so I found myself having a really hard time losing, I did insanity and lost 26lbs during the 60 days and 5 inches off my waist, I still have 50 to go though so my weight loss goals are big. I also use beachbody programs they really helped me because of the schedule and meal plan it comes with. I did find if I cut my calories too low I didn't lose, I had to find a balance so maybe tweaking you calories will help. You might actually need more especially if you are working out hard. I just bought focus 25 so I am looking forward to see what that brings, looks awesome. If you want to check out the beachbody stuff you can go here and get a free account https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free/260581
  • hhrw
    hhrw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ashley, I have also struggled with my wright all my life. At age 63 I decided to take the bull by the horns and really change. First I joined TOPS- a support group for wight loss. They don't tell you what to eat, they are there to give you the moral support that you need.
    Secondly, I didn't go on a diet. I changed my eating habits for life. More fruits, grains, fruits and vegetables and less meat. I can eat anything that I want to,as long as I am honest about the portions.
    Diets don't work, pills don't work -you may lose wright but the weight will one right back I because you haven't changed your basic relationship with food.
    I suggest you read The Beck Diet and follow those steps, it will make a huge difference in your life.
    I have lost 35 pounds without ever feeling deprived.
    You can do this. Do not give up. Anytime you want some help, let me know!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's way too hot for this so I hesitate to mention it but it sounds like you need a quick fix just to pass and while you get your weight altogether right.

So yeah the waist wraps that are neoprene and as seen on TV work temporarily. Also you could try researching how to drop your water weight fast right before the test.

Also in the next couple days I'd go see your doctor and see if he can buy you some time in some way. C-section, breastfeeding, or anything birth related that applies to you. Honestly at 6 months out it seems like your weight should be back to normal so inform him it's not and ask if there could be anything wrong hormones wise.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Having a baby takes a toll on your body. So give yourself a break, everyone responds differently there and most ppl have struggles. Also, as for that waist line. There's no easy way around it. It's diet and portion control. For a long time I thought I are healthy and I thought that my eating habits weren't as bad as they actually were, but when I look back I realize that I was eating crap almost all day and that a healthy meal or healthy add on was being voided out by junk, sugar in coffee, alcohol, soy sauce on veggie and rice, too much cheese... 3cm is 120 calories! Things like that just added up and I ignored it. A donuts here or there on the way to something was a huge one.

Take careful stock of what you are eating. My current progress is all due mainly to diet. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
  • HeartbeccaCA
    HeartbeccaCA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It all sounds very ominous. And we all know you can't go back in time, so you are where you are. Period. Life begins today. The results of the test wil be what they will be - not a whole lot you can do to change that now. As the saying goes, "It is what it is." There are no magic wands.
    In this case I would say do what you can do without killing yourself or going crazy because that would just be counterproductive and accept the test results fro what they are.... then resolve to do better and be consistent.
    I understand the neagative energy is the antithesis of motivating, but find what works for you and use it to make yourself move forward. The other option is to adjust your life to the road on which you are currently. Align things so fitness tests are not an issue and there is not fitness pressure to worry about.
    Either way - Live happy!! :-)