Register for my wedding??

Options
2»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    When my coworker got remarried, we chipped in on a gift card from Home Depot because they were going to be doing some renovations to the house. I also knew a couple who lived together and had everything they needed, but they asked for Best Buy gift cards because they wanted to upgrade their electronics. If you can see a big expense of some kind in the not too distant future, maybe let people help out with that?

I third the charity idea though.
    Well, there are definitely some things we've been putting off buying that we could use gift cards toward. Note electronics, but a new sofa set and a couple other pieces of furniture. Hand-me-down bureau in the bedroom, and sofas that are as old as my son (who is almost 15), would be nice to get replacements. I'll give the gift card idea some thought. Thanks!

We do support a few charities, so I can definitely make that an option as well. :smile:
    One of my coworkers is getting married this fall but she's been living with the guy for 7 years. She's registered to places but we thought along the same lines so we all chipped in and got them a weekend at a nice hotel around here for a weekend for a "honeymoon" since they didn't have enought money for one. I think that's a great idea.
    Yeah, we're actually leaving for a cruise the day after we get married, so we will be having a honeymoon, but we'll be saving from now until then to make sure we have enough to cover everything. What you did for your coworker was very nice!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Another idea is to make a note on the invitations that says a donation will be made at the reception, which could fund a -local- romantic honeymoon, (if you aren't already planning on taking one, seeing as how your wedding is already out of state).... OR the donation could go towards your already planned honeymoon. :happy: Just a thought!
    I never even thought about this before several of you mentioned it! lol Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    I remember a Dear Prudence article on this one. Prudence's feelings were that stating "no gifts" is a faux pas because it implies that you were expecting gifts in the first place.

What you could do, though, is register with a site that offers wedding vacation/honeymoon funds! Because who doesn't need a vacation?! You can break it up into small packages -- people can purchase 50$ toward your airfare, or 100$ for one night in a hotel, etc etc. It's generic and you can use the money any way you choose - it doesn't go to any travel agency or anything - but rather, it gives your guests an easy way to not stress over what to get you, helps them feel good about sending you on vacation, and gives them a print out they can include with a card to show who bought what! I think it might be a great idea for you!

Here's a good one: http://www.honeyfund.com/
    I'll be looking that up tonight. Thanks! :happy:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    We eloped, but our families still wanted to give us gifts, so we registered at Target and everything was around $20 or under. Stuff like throw pillows, wall art, a pizza stone (still one of my favorite kitchen tools!), and my husband scanned some bags of M&Ms, too. :laugh:
    I've broken the 3 Pampered Chef stones I've owned over my lifetime. I miss them!
    we had a destination wedding, so since they had to get there and get hotel room and stuffs we didn't expect a whole lot....

we did registration because people would ask.....
    but we also said that we are remodeling the house, so any gift card from home depot or lowes would makes us happy...

we only got 2 gifts from the register... we got a lot of gift cards from lowes and home depot
    and we also got A LOT, like A LOT of cash for our honeymoon.....
    Yeah, with the whole destination thing, only a handful of people are coming... And I honestly don't expect a gift from any of them, or anyone else for that matter... But since at least one person has asked, I'm guessing more asking will ensue. I'm seriously considering the gift cards to help us get new furniture. Anything people contribute would certainly help. We've been planning on new living room furniture for a year and it still hasn't happened. lol Thanks! :drinker:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I wouldn't register since you both are already living together. However, if someone wants to send you a gift then that's ok, why not? this is a celebratory moment in your life!!!
    Thanks! :happy:
    You know what you should do instead?
    Set up a 'Honeymoon Fund" at your wedding, and let people donate to your honeymoon festivities!! :) Congrats, btw!
    I may take the earlier recommendation and do something similar, through a site, since there won't be many people that actually come. Thank you!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Some people set up funds (like paypal) that goes towards their honeymoon fund. I think that's a nice idea! Everyone feels like they're contributing something but it's not just stuff off a boring registry. It's a happier present in my opinon!
    Yes, I think that sounds like a possible plan... And, also agree with the comment below, though we really aren't having actual invites anyway. It's basically word of mouth as far as invites, so if people ask about us being registered, that will also be info given similarly.
    For our wedding, we are registering but I believe the proper etiquette is to NOT put on invites but allow your wedding party to spread info word of mouth...

This is both our first so we are looking forward to having matching dishes, etc... :laugh:
    And yes, I get that. I remember buying my first set of "nice" dishes. It's a great feeling to have nice things!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I read this recently and thought it was cool.. what if you have people bring you their favorite bottle of wine, have labels for them to fill out so you know who brought what, and when you open it you can have a mini-celebration every time! It would be neat I think.. but how you go about asking for that rather than traditional gifts.. I guess on the invite.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I think people ask for the registery because they want to get you something but don't know what you need/want/would go with what you already have.

If I were you, I'd do a dream kitchen list (with all the things in the kitchen that I lust after but can't always justify buying myself), a honey fund, and maybe a redecorating list if you had any things like that planned for the future... but mostly the honey fund.... subsidize the honey moon.
    Having help with the cost of the honeymoon would be awesome, for sure! I can't even think of any kitchen items that I want. Probably because I don't really enjoy cooking. lol :laugh: Thanks!
    I am 42 and getting married for the second time next July (2014). It's a second for both of us and we don't need a thing! We plan to have a big 'ol party to celebrate our new lives together and don't want or expect gifts other than folks to come and party with us. I am still looking at how to deal with the 'where are you registered' question and hope it doesn't come up. If it does, I'll suggest some of the ideas stated here. Good luck to you both!
    That's awesome. Congrats to you! And thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I read this recently and thought it was cool.. what if you have people bring you their favorite bottle of wine, have labels for them to fill out so you know who brought what, and when you open it you can have a mini-celebration every time! It would be neat I think.. but how you go about asking for that rather than traditional gifts.. I guess on the invite.
    That does sound really cool!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the input.

I'm going to check into the honeyfunds site, figure out a charity, and where we want to get furniture from. That will give anyone who wants to contribute one way or another options as far as giving.

Actually, I think the charity will be the American Cancer Society, as my step dad passed from lung cancer last November. Great ideas, folks. Thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • aprilpeter
    Options
    I remember that one of my friends had registered with a honeymoon registry of ourwishingwell.com as both the boy and girl are living together from last 5 years and they have all the necessary things. They got so many things for their honeymoon even fund from the registry. I have seen that people register for gift cards and honeymoon funds when they have all the necessary things in the house.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The second time around, the two of us never considered it either. In fact, we just went to the courthouse with a few family members and then went out to dinner and drinks. We didn't recover from that night for a few days! lol
    Do whatever you're comfortable with and congratulations!! :smile: