Do you log your exercise?

Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Yes I log and no I never eat those calories back
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    I do log my exercise. I like to see what I am capable of over time. As for eating back my exercise calories, I only eat them back if I am hungry. I usually don't need them, but it is nice to know I have the extra wiggle room if needed.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Sorcha1977....just read recently that the average HRM is off by 28%. I too adjust down for the overestimate in my HRM.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Do you log your exercise when you are trying to lose weight? YES, MFP is set for my everyday lifestyle (sedentary) so if I dont log them I wont know how many I burned. I use a HRM to determine how much a burned for each workout I do.

Do you use your exercise calories? YES, if you mean eat them. I eat almost all of them. or All of them depending on the day. I do try to leave 100 back on exercise days just in case the HRM was off or I made a mistake when entering cals for food.

If I dont eat back the exercise cals, I will be in to much of a deficit. MFP says 1550 so if I burn 500 cals, I will net 1050 and that is entirely to far below 1550. I dont want to plateau again like I did when I was not eating the fitness cals or was eating a very low calorie diet.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    This thread is full of such awful advice.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    This thread is full of such awful advice.

lol this guy
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Yes, because you're supposed to when using the NEAT method (MFP method). Just look it up...I'm tired of explaining it...or don't and just be hungry. You also do realize your calorie GOAL already has a weight loss deficit built in right? It's not maintenance or anything...you're not needing to create a deficit with exercise, it's built in. Seriously...doesn't anyone read the directions on how to use a tool anymore.

I always ate back roughly 70% of my exercise calories (per my HRM to account for estimation error) when I did MFP per my NET calorie GOAL and have lost nearly 40 Lbs at roughly 1 Lb per week just as I put in my goal.

THIS X INFINITE
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Simply,

Yes,

...and 50/50.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Yes, but I'm much more reasonable about it.
    As a 250lb male, I give myself:

Lifting = 4.5 calories per minute
    Intense Aerobic = 6 calories per minute
    Light aerobic (like walking) = 2 calories per minute

And so on and so on.

ps - I came to these numbers after learning things like "Athletes doing intense training burn 8 calories per minute." If an athlete has trouble burning 500 calories an hour, I really doubt I do putzing around on my bike.
  • evon623
    evon623 Posts: 7
    I used to log exercise, but do not anymore. I developed the mindset that "oh, I burned 500 calories, I can eat an additional 500 calories if I want." So I log my food, but keep the exercise out.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    I log my exercise... and I eat my exercise calories, well at least some of them.

This girl loves those exercise calories. :love:
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    When I used to follow MFP's method, and my HRM was working, Yes I log exercise calories and yes I eat them back or at least 3/4 of it back, really depends how hungry I am.

Now, I only log exercise as 1 calorie burns since my HRM died (lol) and I follow IPOARM, giving myself a range from 1680 - 2000 to eat daily. Which basically really is about the same amount of calories I used to consume when following MFP's method.

Only sucky thing is that I miss my high calorie exercise burns that came from my HRM haha.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Do you log your exercise when you are trying to lose weight?
    Do you use your exercise calories?

I log my exercise because it amuses me to do so. I do not eat back my exercise calories on many days and if I do eat any, it is usually just 100 or 200, the rest I leave.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    I log it so I can put it in my spreadsheet later. I use it to determine my TDEE and make adjustments. I never eat them back. I target the same calories each day whether I exercise or not.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    My account is set to sedentary so any actual, intentional exercise I do I log. I also eat back a portion of my exercise calories. I usally try to have my net be at least 1200, but of course under the 1520 alloted calories. And there are time that the only reason I work my butt off at the gym is so I can have a great date night with my husband and eat a yummy dinner with a few drinks. For me it has to be something sustainable because I intend to keep up with this for the long haul.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    I wear a Fitbit and my account is connected to MFP - so while I don't "log" my exercise, I get credit for all my activity (even just the regular walking throughout the day, not necessarily exercise). I do eat back some of these, but not all of them (usually, this last weekend wasn't great).

Me too and I sync at the end of the day.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    H.E. Double hockey sticks to the yes! I love logging my exercise. I feel accomplished and I love being able to eat more! I try to make sure I net the same amount of calories (1200) a day.
  • denniwf
    denniwf Posts: 3 Member
    remember that you have to fuel your body. If you burn to many calories and don't eat them your body will go into starvation mode. This is from a personal trainer that has been doing for many years
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    yes and yes, it's designed that way. just be truthful!