High Calorie foods

I have been having issues with not getting enough calories in a day. How can I do this without going over my daily limit for sugar carbs etc? Seems like no matter what I eat I'm always exceeding something, primarily sodium. Just need an idea of foods that could help me reach my calorie goal. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Well to cut down on sodium, do not use pre-made or packaged foods. Make things from scratch. If you do go overboard on Sodium you can counteract it with more potassium and water.
  • Peanut butter is very high in calories and a peanut butter and banana sandwich is very easy to fit in as a snack. I've been using it to gain calories quicker. Also, Peanuts contain healthy fats.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Yep, natural peanut butter (my brand has no sugar, just ground peanuts) on a decent slice of whole grain bread is a good way to up calories.

Or raw almonds, high calorie, good fat.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    This is delicious:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pollo-a-la-crema-282384

I use an 8" flour tortilla, 1/4 cup rice, 1/8 cup or a little more of refried beans. High in calories and so yummy. I went over calories big time today because I splurged for lunch and had Ramen Noodles with the kids (regretted that one later) and then had one of these with dinner. Works up to be about 603 calories in one.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    If it's primarily sodium you're concerned about there are lots of fixes for that. Mostly, eat food you prepare yourself from raw ingredients. If you are concerned about the MFP default sugar levels, a lot of people say not to worry about the sugar from fruit and dairy unless you are diabetic or worried about diabetes. Just think about your added sugars.
    I didn't look to see your stats,but in my opinion, if your want to lose weight,you need to think about sustaining the weight loss and that means focussing on long term rather than short term weight loss. Good luck!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    If you opened your diary people could make simple alternative suggestions to the foods you have chosen. This could better tailor answers to meet your needs.

If you don't have problems with high blood pressure then the only thing sodium will do is cause you to retain a pound or three of water. It's not the silent killer some people give it credit for.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    I have been having issues with not getting enough calories in a day. How can I do this without going over my daily limit for sugar carbs etc? Seems like no matter what I eat I'm always exceeding something, primarily sodium. Just need an idea of foods that could help me reach my calorie goal. Any help is appreciated.

Avocados & nuts are my favorite calorie-dense foods.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    I use olive oil and make sure to log it in the diary