Do you eat just because you can?

Options
Unless I'm very tired, I have a hard time going to bed with calories left in my budget, even if I'm not hungry.

Does anyone else shop for bedtime treats just because you've got calories to spend? Or go to bed with more than a couple of hundred calories to spare?

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love coming in 500 calorie under target. I eat enough calories but work them all off. Eating too close to bedtime will turn calories into fat like nothing else.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am trying to learn to listen to my body's hunger signals, so if I have extra calories and I'm not hungry I won't eat. If I'm hungry, I'll eat.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I love coming in 500 calorie under target. I eat enough calories but work them all off. Eating too close to bedtime will turn calories into fat like nothing else.

stop_zpsce596e7d.gif
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Sometimes I'll have calories leftover, but have reached my Protein, Carb & Fat goals so I'll just go to bed if I'm not hungry. Then I have times like tonight where I had 380 calories left, but hadn't hit my goal of at least 100 grams of protein. I just ate three hard boiled eggs to get me over my goal.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options

No. Just no.
  • scottaworley
    Options

stop_zpsce596e7d.gif

I don't get it.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am trying to learn to listen to my body's hunger signals, so if I have extra calories and I'm not hungry I won't eat. If I'm hungry, I'll eat.

If your body's hunger signals were accurate you wouldn't be fat in the first place.

Unfortunately there are way too many variables that affect one's hunger.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Thats a myth, and a bad choice... It doesn't matter when you eat, and you shouldn't come that low in your calories. Are you new?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I always eat before bed.

ETA: Yes and to meet my goals.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

stop_zpsce596e7d.gif

Love that gif! So cute.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Thats a myth, and a bad choice... It doesn't matter when you eat, and you shouldn't come that low in your calories. Are you new?

Yes, I feel like my generated calorie goal is too high, so at this stage I don't feel like coming in 500 calories under target is a big deal.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry and very rarely have enough calories to satisfy.....bummer most days!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Yes, I feel like my generated calorie goal is too high, so at this stage I don't feel like coming in 500 calories under target is a big deal.

What is your calorie goal? I was mainly going by where you say you work all the calories off that you eat... you should be netting at least 1200 and thats on the low side... meaning you not only eat the 1200 calories, but eat back what ever you burn as well.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Just did a little research and it looks like it is, in fact, totally a myth.
    My bad
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

stop_zpsce596e7d.gif

I don't get it.

the gif means the cat/conscience prevented him for typing an answer to your weird post. i don't have a cat so here it goes.

Eating at a certain time will not convert calories to fat. that sounds like magic. also you are eating 500 under a target that is already maybe about 300 or so under so that's not good. the calories goals are meant to be met not beaten. i understand what you mean about "eating enough then working them all off" but it seems as though you may not understand about "Net cals" please look into this and rethink you're leftover cals strategy. and forget what you've heard about eating at night. you aren't a gremlin.
  • scottaworley
    Options

What is your calorie goal? I was mainly going by where you say you work all the calories off that you eat... you should be netting at least 1200 and thats on the low side... meaning you not only eat the 1200 calories, but eat back what ever you burn as well.

My net goal is 1500. I feel like it should be more around 1200, but if I'm full I don't mind ending the day around 1000. I also work out a couple hours for bed and end with a protein shake which curbs my hunger until morning.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

My bad

great. no problem now go look into net cals. you wanna do this right.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I was 500 under at ten, so I had a bowl of corn pops and some nice cold milk. I'm now 200 or so under, more than I'd like but I'll just deal with that. Maybe go a little over tomorrow.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

My bad
    And for the second time today I've seen someone on MFP listen, consider, analyze, and change positions like a rational adult based on new information and critical thinking. What kind of witchcraft be this?
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I should worry about it more, but I don't. If I don't meet my calorie goal and I FEEL fine, no I do not eat the spare calories. If I am hungry, then yes, I eat.

And no, I do not binge eat or eat "just because", nor am I ever hungry for no reason. I don't get cravings either. For the most part I eat pretty healthy. Lots of protein, fruits, calcium.

I drink plenty of water, so I know it's not that hungry feeling you get when you are thirsty. I don't get thirsty much since I hardly consume sodium (or a lot of it).