Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I seriously need some help

So I've read several threads about whether or not to eat calories burned during workout in order to achieve the day's net calories. However, the differing opinions and advice have left me more confused than ever! (Which is very frustrating!) Some of my coworkers use mfp and eat never eat their exercise calories and have reported major losses. I've only been using mfp for about 3 weeks and have seen small losses. I want to do the program the correct way; I want to be healthy; Most importantly, I want the weight to stay off. I'm hoping that someone can definitively help clear this up for me.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    MFP is specifically designed to figure the calories you needs in daily life, then create a deficit from that. For a number of reason a modest calorie deficit is recommended. MFP also expects you to log any additional exercise and eat at least some of those calories back to maintain that modest deficit.

The biggest problem with huge deficits and quick weight loss is it is often hard to maintain, both for the duration of the weight loss and after.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    If you want to do it right with the lowest chance of regaining then you should eat your exercise calories. You will lose slower, but it's worth it. Good luck xx
  • windenwoods
    windenwoods Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'm also not far from my goal weight (20 lbs), so I know I may not lose as fast as someone who needs to lose more.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    So I've read several threads about whether or not to eat calories burned during workout in order to achieve the day's net calories. However, the differing opinions and advice have left me more confused than ever! (Which is very frustrating!) Some of my coworkers use mfp and eat never eat their exercise calories and have reported major losses. I've only been using mfp for about 3 weeks and have seen small losses. I want to do the program the correct way; I want to be healthy; Most importantly, I want the weight to stay off. I'm hoping that someone can definitively help clear this up for me.

There is not one right way...thinking there is will keep you confused IMO. Use a site like fat2fitradio.com or fitnessfrog.com to find your BMR, TDEE and read up on how to set your macros there, at least for a start. If you set your calorie goal at "sedentary" you will want to plan on eating back exercise calories, at least a portion of them. If you take your exercise/activity into account when setting them, you will not eat back calories as they will be figured into your goal. You will hear from people who swear by their method as the one best way.

To me, the "best" way is the one that meets the goal of being a healthy, LEAN weight. If you set goals and try them a few weeks with little success, reset them. It is a learning process. BTW, small consistent losses will probably be better for you in the long run. If you take it off too fast, you will most likely not be able to maintain the loss.
  • 3dogsrunning

There is not one right way...thinking there is will keep you confused IMO. Use a site like fat2fitradio.com or fitnessfrog.com to find your BMR, TDEE and read up on how to set your macros there, at least for a start. If you set your calorie goal at "sedentary" you will want to plan on eating back exercise calories, at least a portion of them. If you take your exercise/activity into account when setting them, you will not eat back calories as they will be figured into your goal. You will hear from people who swear by their method as the one best way.

To me, the "best" way is the one that meets the goal of being a healthy, LEAN weight. If you set goals and try them a few weeks with little success, reset them. It is a learning process. BTW, small consistent losses will probably be better for you in the long run. If you take it off too fast, you will most likely not be able to maintain the loss.

I've always found that I end up with the same intake give or take a little with both MFP and TDEE. It is basically the same idea, just two different formulas to get to pretty much the same answer.

I also assumed OP was asking how to use MFP correctly, not the correct way to diet.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I've always found that I end up with the same intake give or take a little with both MFP and TDEE. It is basically the same idea, just two different formulas to get to pretty much the same answer.

I also assumed OP was asking how to use MFP correctly, not the correct way to diet.
    Same here, why do the hard sums when you have a tool that does it for you?
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    I've been on here a few months and have lost my desired weight of 2 pounds per week, sometimes a bit more or less. I don't eat my calories back that I've burned and I think this has helped me. I don't see the point in doing so unless you are hungry. I say it all depends on your body. Don't worry about it too much either way. If you are satisfied, don't eat those calories back. If you are hungry (try water first) eat something. Once again, it's how you feel = )
  • JustPeachy044

Wow. Nice. She asked for advice. I gave my opinion, which I clearly stated. You are free to give yours without having to bash mine. Last I heard about assuming it means making an a** out of you and me.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    There is no one right way. Different things work for different people. I've seen success stories from people who use the TDEE method, who eat back their calories and who stick to 1,200 cals a day without eating back a thing.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    MFP assumes determines a calorie goal based on the activity level you provide and your vital statistics. It creates a modest, healthy deficit for you based on those values. Any exercise you do above and beyond your daily activity level increases your deficit beyond that healthy margin, so MFP expects you to eat back any exercise calories in order to maintain the deficit set. If you run at a very large deficit, you will continue to lose weight (contrary to a number of posts on these boards). The issue is not whether you'll lose weight, but what weight you will lose and whether the loss will be healthy. When you run a small deficit, your body will pull the extra energy primarily from fat reserves in order to preserve the muscle tissue that is being utilized on a daily basis (a little muscle will also be burned). If the deficit gets larger, the ratio will begin to move more towards burning lean muscle tissue. Muscle requires more calories to upkeep than fat, so if a large deficit goes long enough to convince your body that it is a long term issue, your body will attempt to maintain fat reserves as a low-maintenance energy source for future periods of low food. Thus, at large deficits, people will still report losses (and may even report faster losses), but the weight lost will be mostly muscle; the scale will drop, but the inches won't. Your intake under MFP or TDEE should be more or less the same if you input the values properly. If you exercise regularly and consistently, TDEE will take those exercise calories and factor it into the amount you eat. The only difference is how those calories get divided up over the week.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Wow. Nice. She asked for advice. I gave my opinion, which I clearly stated. You are free to give yours without having to bash mine. Last I heard about assuming it means making an a** out of you and me.
    Sorry you read it as bashing, all I was doing was adding my experience to the mix that I got almost exactly the same numbers as MFP gave me by using the calculators, so unless something isn't working why make it complicated? I had, in fact, done exactly the same as you, that worked, but so did MFP. Have a nice day :flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Sorry you read it as bashing, all I was doing was adding my experience to the mix that I got almost exactly the same numbers as MFP gave me by using the calculators, so unless something isn't working why make it complicated? I had, in fact, done exactly the same as you, that worked, but so did MFP. Have a nice day :flowerforyou:

I think she was talking to me.

Settle. I did not bash you at all. I added my own experience on to what you were saying which I thought was relevant to the conversation and question.
  • JustPeachy044
    MFP assumes determines a calorie goal based on the activity level you provide and your vital statistics. It creates a modest, healthy deficit for you based on those values. Any exercise you do above and beyond your daily activity level increases your deficit beyond that healthy margin, so MFP expects you to eat back any exercise calories in order to maintain the deficit set. If you run at a very large deficit, you will continue to lose weight (contrary to a number of posts on these boards). The issue is not whether you'll lose weight, but what weight you will lose and whether the loss will be healthy. When you run a small deficit, your body will pull the extra energy primarily from fat reserves in order to preserve the muscle tissue that is being utilized on a daily basis (a little muscle will also be burned). If the deficit gets larger, the ratio will begin to move more towards burning lean muscle tissue. Muscle requires more calories to upkeep than fat, so if a large deficit goes long enough to convince your body that it is a long term issue, your body will attempt to maintain fat reserves as a low-maintenance energy source for future periods of low food. Thus, at large deficits, people will still report losses (and may even report faster losses), but the weight lost will be mostly muscle; the scale will drop, but the inches won't. Your intake under MFP or TDEE should be more or less the same if you input the values properly. If you exercise regularly and consistently, TDEE will take those exercise calories and factor it into the amount you eat. The only difference is how those calories get divided up over the week.

I think this is an excellent description the OP will find useful. Heck, I've been at this over a year and I appreciated it!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

You overreacted. In no way did either poster 'bash' yours. They just offered differing opinions. Where is the negative wording? Where is the name calling? Where, even, is any specific mention of you. I really wish people would stop taking offense when none was giving in the first place. It's annoying.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Everyone's different so rule #1 in dieting...stop comparing. Your friends may have more to lose or needed to make more changes or maybe became more active than you. There could be a myriad of reasons why they can lose faster doing what they're doing. Just do what works for you and what is right for you and don't worry about them.

In fact, you are doing wonderfully for someone with only 20 pounds to lose! 3 pounds gone in 3 weeks is right on target as a healthy rate of loss with someone with less to lose is 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Congrats!!
  • windenwoods
    windenwoods Posts: 3 Member
    Everyone's different so rule #1 in dieting...stop comparing. Your friends may have more to lose or needed to make more changes or maybe became more active than you. There could be a myriad of reasons why they can lose faster doing what they're doing. Just do what works for you and what is right for you and don't worry about them.

In fact, you are doing wonderfully for someone with only 20 pounds to lose! 3 pounds gone in 3 weeks is right on target as a healthy rate of loss with someone with less to lose is 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Congrats!!

thanks! i really need to hear that.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    I eat some of my calories back on workout days, not all of them but most of them. MFP is set up to loose if you eat close to what they set for you. Now that being said I feel that the macros are set incorrectly so I customized mine to assure I was getting the right level of fats/proteins/carbs for my strength training/running training.

As you can see I have lost 75lbs staying in this, the big thing for me is assure I am under on my sodium, have the right levels of carbs/fat/protein AND calories. I do not eat low fat, no-fat or chemically altered food that way. I eat lean and a LOT of veggies. I try only getting my sugars from natural sources (fruit). I do still have my morning coffee with sugar (I will NOT give up my morning coffee).

I basically have the 80% rule, 80% of what I eat is healthy so I can have the occasional treat. This is a life change not a diet so you need to be able to sustain it for life.

Assure you are getting enough water to flush your body and it helps keep your body balanced.

Good luck.