why do I feel like I am eating to much.

Options
So today is the first day I started my diet. I am a big guy and I run around 375 pounds. The fitness app tells me I need to eat 2710 calories. I feel like I have had to much to day. But I am only up to 2243 calories.

Is it normal to feel like you eaten to much when you first start off? Can I really trust the app?

Replies

• mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you have eaten more or less than normal? If you're eating more bulk with more nutrients and less crap, bravo. If you're hungry after 2000 calories of fried chicken, you may have missed the point somewhere along the line.

If you don't trust the lists, measure and prepare your own food and run the math yourself.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Adding one more food item per day could take you to the limit--e.g., a healthy smoothie, nice lean steak, or fruit salad.
    I don't compel myself to eat all of my calories IF I feel good, but always try to be within 250 of the goal. Once you've lost a few pounds, the calorie target drops, then drops, then drops---I thoroughly enjoyed my first 2-3 weeks of extra calories (long gone, sigh).
  • mike37130
    mike37130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say I am more conscious of what I am eating. I have cut out all sugar drinks like coke and sweet tea. I was going to eat a small pot pie for lunch until I checked the calorie count and found it had 1500 calories. So ya I think your right. I am eating the same amount but watching what I am eating at the same time.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Odds are you used to eat more calorie dense foods than you are now. I could totally eat 1,000 calories of pizza in one sitting without batting an eye, but there's no freakin' way I could eat 1,000 calories of egg whites and vegetables.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is normal to feel that way. Maybe drinking some of the calories will help. Drinking fruit juices, vegetable juices or milk may help.
  • mike37130
    Options
    Odds are you used to eat more calorie dense foods than you are now. I could totally eat 1,000 calories of pizza in one sitting without batting an eye, but there's no freakin' way I could eat 1,000 calories of egg whites and vegetables.

I think you are right. It is not just the amount of food I was eating but the quality of the food I was eating as well. I'm looking at all the stuff I like to eat and I am shocked at how bad it is for me. Looks like I am going to be cleaning the fridge out tonight...
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I feel this way all the time. It's hard to meet my calories unless I actually eat "bad" stuff. I FEEL fine, so I don't fret much about it. I eat when I am hungry, I don't eat when I am not.
  • tonadayuu
    tonadayuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's probably because you eat healthier and less calorie foods.

I just started and for the last two days, I felt I was eating more than before. But calories-wise, it's less.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    isn't it great to see that you can eat within or under your calorie goal and be satisfied, just by selecting the right foods!

don't forget that there are plenty of calorie dense, healthy, nutritious foods if you find yourself coming in way under your goal: nuts, avocado, full fat dairy... and hey and there's nothing wrong with having a not-so-healthy treat once in a while too if you stay within your calorie and macro goals (and it doesn't trigger you to keep eating)
  • mike37130
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I am glad I joined this site. :)
  • MommaWheezy
    MommaWheezy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if I'm too tired to eat all my calories and just go to sleep, I'm super hungry the next morning and add an extra snack. Listen to your body.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should eat that much. The app is not ideal for very obese people. Try eating at 90% BMR or at your goal TDEE, whichever is lower. Recalculate every 10 pounds lost until that gets closer to what MFP recommends, then switch to your future (but not yet goal) TDEE -20%.
  • mike37130
    Options
    I don't think you should eat that much. The app is not ideal for very obese people. Try eating at 90% BMR or at your goal TDEE, whichever is lower. Recalculate every 10 pounds lost until that gets closer to what MFP recommends, then switch to your future (but not yet goal) TDEE -20%.

Ok what is BMR, TDEE and MFP
  • gracikle
    gracikle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nuts :) raw nuts. good oils, good proteien and high in calories.
    i used to buy raw cashes get an olive oil spray and roast my own so no added salt :)

or i also believe that very dark chocolate is a good one- one of the 70% cocoa ones.

i love this site, the community helps really well :)
  • buggings
    buggings Posts: 18
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about TDEE, BMI, BMR, etc.

This is your first week. Any and all positive changes you are making to your diet or exercise regime will produce results, trust me! I wouldn't worry about that stuff until/unless what MFP isn't working!

Goodluck!
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Ok what is BMR, TDEE and MFP

BMR - basal metabolic rate
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy expenditure
    MFP - My fitness Pal (or the app on this site)

Understanding your BMR and TDEE are good tools for losing in a healthy, balanced way, I'd recommend googling the terms and doing some research. That being said, I agree that worrying about it excessively would be counterproductive and that making some moderate positive changes is a good start while you learn more. It is important to be patient.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If I did my math right @ 375 pounds you burn 5,250 calories a day naturally without any exercise to get this I took 375 multiplied by 14 = 5,250 (this is a ruff estimate. You want about a 30% deficit that would be about 1,575 calories more or less. So If you are sedentary (like me a desk job where I sit all day, and I do mean all day) you would eat about 3,675 calories a day. Again this is the formula I was taught, and it is a way to estimate, not an exact. Then keep in mind you may lose a lot at first, but as you get closer to your goal the weight loss does slow down naturally, and so does your metabolism (simply b/c you will not need as much energy to maintain a lesser weight). You also should recalculate you calorie intake every ten to fifteen pounds. Again this is b/c the closer you are to you goal weight the less calories you will need to maintain that energy level.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    If I did my math right @ 375 pounds you burn 5,250 calories a day naturally without any exercise to get this I took 375 multiplied by 14 = 5,250 (this is a ruff estimate. You want about a 30% deficit that would be about 1,575 calories more or less. So If you are sedentary (like me a desk job where I sit all day, and I do mean all day) you would eat about 3,675 calories a day. Again this is the formula I was taught, and it is a way to estimate, not an exact. Then keep in mind you may lose a lot at first, but as you get closer to your goal the weight loss does slow down naturally, and so does your metabolism (simply b/c you will not need as much energy to maintain a lesser weight). You also should recalculate you calorie intake every ten to fifteen pounds. Again this is b/c the closer you are to you goal weight the less calories you will need to maintain that energy level.

^^^A morbidly obese person should eat at well below BMR for this reason, until you are no longer morbidly obese, roughly speaking. Plug your goal weight into the calculator here at maintenance (not losing), that will give you a ballpark for calories to start.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What formula would you recommend? Rapid weight loss of more than 1 to 2 pounds a week, can be potentially dangerous (without the supervision of a healthcare provider). A person who is losing more than that per a week may not be losing fat, but water weight, and/ or lean muscle tissue. Fat loss is not an easy thing to do. One pound of fat lost in a week is ruffly equal to 3500 calories, or approximately equal to burning 500 calories more a day, than he/she is currently burning. It is more likely a person will maintain weight loss if it is slow, and steady. Also,safer in the long run to prevent potential issues that can occur from rapid weight loss. Honestly, anyone who is morbidly obese should consult their doctor prior to starting an exercise, and diet program to ensure there is not other health issues that may need to be considered in their program.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Remember you don't have to eat all of your calories, and if your full, stop. Listen to your body. You may have to adjust your cal intake, everyone is different.. Good luck with your journey....