Replies

• Charity2001
    Options
    That's a joke, son- Foghorn Leghorn

Haaaaaaaaa!!!
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I was just wondering what people thought, thie following is from a British newspaper a few years ago. "Men see being funny as a male thing," explained Dr Rod Martin, who led the project.

Hundreds of men and women were questioned. Asked if they found a sense of humour to be attractive in women, most men said yes. But when they were asked if they would want to be with a woman who cracked jokes herself, the answer was a resounding no.

"When forced to choose between humour production and humour appreciation in potential partners, women valued humour production, whereas men valued receptivity to their own humour," said Dr Martin.
    I'm just putting this out there for discussion!

I wonder if the humour production/appreciation roles have to do with traditional courting rituals - men usually use humour/jokes as a means of charming a girl and breaking the ice, it's commonly seen as a tactic of romantic pursuit or 'peacocking', trying to get the girl to laugh -- and many men prefer to pursue rather than be pursued. Most of the guys I know -are- more likely to crack a joke or get a laugh in a group setting. That said, I really feel like you can't really say you enjoy a person with a good sense of humor in a relationship, but not someone who cracks jokes themselves, though. The two seem pretty mutually inclusive -- Overall, it would seem like a good rapport between two people would make them more compatible/attracted than say, being with someone giggling at every mildly witty thing you have to say. I think I'll have to read more about the studies done to understand, though. The psychology seems really interesting.
  • crommedia
    crommedia Posts: 3
    Options
    Humor is a sign of intelligence. I absolutely like my woman smart.

agree
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Awwww ohhhhhh, maybe this is why my friends (male) say I "don't count" as a female
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I was thinking a lot of women find humour sexy, woody Allen would never have been able to reproduce, but I just thought you never hear men say its sexy

I think his money didn't hurt, either.... not that I'm one of those girls, but I have a feeling that came into play.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    god I *kitten* hope so...

cause i'm hilarious.

ask my FL
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the humour production/appreciation roles have to do with traditional courting rituals - men usually use humour/jokes as a means of charming a girl and breaking the ice, it's commonly seen as a tactic of romantic pursuit or 'peacocking', trying to get the girl to laugh -- and many men prefer to pursue rather than be pursued.

This. People who are story-tellers/joke-crackers tend to have stronger personalities and are more leaders than followers. As a woman, if you're cracking jokes all the time, chances are that you're leading the conversation more often than not, and, in some sense, leading the relationship, as well. Some guys, in particular the shy ones, are fine with that, but a lot of men are turned off by it. A woman who appreciates humor but isn't clamoring to fill every moment of silence with a joke is probably going to be taken more seriously as a romantic partner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hundreds of men and women were questioned. Asked if they found a sense of humour to be attractive in women, most men said yes. But when they were asked if they would want to be with a woman who cracked jokes herself, the answer was a resounding no.

I wonder if it's the way the question was phrased. Being humorous for the average person isn't about cracking jokes all the time. I appreciate (and produce!) humor, but the always-on, "I'm Mr. Funny!" type personalities get really old, really fast, whether it's a man or a woman. Very few people actually LIKE clowns.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, funny is sexy. Funny is often times indicative of intelligence, a sharp mind, which is also sexy. Funny is double sexy. The end.
  • sunshineblue1
    sunshineblue1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a very dry sarcastic sense of humour.......it is an acquired taste but it defiantly appealed to my husband and 6 yrs on he would say it is one of my most endearing qualities
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I think women with a sense of humour are sexy!! I'd definitely want to be with a woman who can make me laugh!!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Depends what the woman is wearing ;)
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

I wonder if it's the way the question was phrased. Being humorous for the average person isn't about cracking jokes all the time. I appreciate (and produce!) humor, but the always-on, "I'm Mr. Funny!" type personalities get really old, really fast, whether it's a man or a woman. Very few people actually LIKE clowns.

Agreed. I got the chance to work with the always funny type and it was annoying as hell! I would ask him to do one thing and he would do the exact opposite thinking that it was hilarious. Yeah, it might have been the first time, but doing it for 8 f-ing hours straight is not.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Jeesh I couldn't be with somebody who didn't appreciate my sick sense of humor. I tell some damn good jokes sometimes.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I love me a woman with a sense of humor. Especially if they are witty. Mmmm.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'd throw Ellen a bone.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, check out Heidi Hamilton.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I agree with the British newspaper.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yes they are :smile: A great sense of humor, a crackin' wit and a healthy dose of sarcasm are a must for me :wink: