Spinach Artichoke Hummus

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
Spinach Artichoke Hummus
(Original recipe)

Ingredients:

1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained (juice reserved)
4 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
1/2 cup artichoke hearts
2 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
salt and pepper, to taste

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. If you desire a thinner consistency, add in a few extra tablespoons of the reserved chickpea juice.

Ali’s Tip:

To give this an extra kick, I also tried adding in a seeded fresh jalapeno, and it was fantastic! You could even add in half of a pepper if you’d like.

Also, to make this taste a little more like classic spinach-artichoke dip, just mix in 1/4 (or 1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese.

http://gimmesomeoven.com/spinach-artichoke-hummus/
Lots more recipes here for lots of variations!!

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Have you figured out the calories/nutrition yet?
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    awesome! I love hummus and I'm going to start venturing into making my own! Thanks
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recipe
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bump for deliciousness!
  • AuntMimi2010
    Options
    This looks good. What is tahini? Also interested to know nutritional facts. Thanks for posting:)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Mmm this sounds so good! Too bad artichokes here are so expensive. They are about $2.00 a piece here. That's just crazy considering you only eat a little bit of the actual plant.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    This looks good. What is tahini? Also interested to know nutritional facts. Thanks for posting:)
    Depending on how you tweak it with fresh artichokes or jarred etc, just use the MFP recipe builder...it'll be more accurate :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Mmm this sounds so good! Too bad artichokes here are so expensive. They are about $2.00 a piece here. That's just crazy considering you only eat a little bit of the actual plant.
    I just use the jarred if I need too
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Mmm... I've started making my own hummus - will have to try the spinach & artichoke.

Tahini is a paste made of sesame seeds and oil. In my grocery store, they keep it near the olives - it tends to run on the expensive side.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Mmm... I've started making my own hummus - will have to try the spinach & artichoke.

Tahini is a paste made of sesame seeds and oil. In my grocery store, they keep it near the olives - it tends to run on the expensive side.
    I was looking up a recipe for Tahini and looks pretty easy to make as well. :drinker:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I was looking up a recipe for Tahini and looks pretty easy to make as well. :drinker:

Me too! I bought sesame seeds the other day - they were on sale. I was so excited!
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    I make tahini from sesame seeds ground in a coffee grinder. It is easy. The hard part is finding cheap sesame seeds. I found them at a local Pennsylvania Dutch bakery.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Reading this recipe, even after dinner, made me look forward to trying it.... I'm growing an abundance of spinach, accidentally, this year, so this is on my list! Thank you!
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Thanks for the spinach recipe, I look forward to trying it and some of the other recipes from the site.

So not to slight Tahini (I've heard there are a lot of health benefits to it), I recently tried this recipe from Alton Brown for "Turbo Hummus". He substitutes creamy peanutbutter for tahini. It has a lot of peanut flavor the first day but most goes away after is mellows in the fridge overnight. I love peanut butter, so this one works for me.

If you're not read to buy $7 jar of tahini, give this a try:

Alton Brown's Turbo Hummus

2 to 3 cloves garlic
    1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and liquid reserved
    2 to 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
    A handful fresh parsley leaves
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    Pinch kosher salt
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Chop the garlic finely in a food processor. Add the beans and 1/2 of the reserved liquid and process finely or to desired consistency. Add the peanut butter, parsley, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, and salt. Process until it forms a paste. Drizzle in the olive oil and process until it reaches the consistency of mayonnaise.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my cousin makes tasty hummus without the tahini...ever tried that? I can't tell a difference. Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE artichoke dip and hope this is a good substitute!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Me too! I bought sesame seeds the other day - they were on sale. I was so excited!
    OH! Definitely share when you've made up some homemade tahini! :) From the recipe it makes it sound like you'll NEVER want to go back to bought once you've made it yourself! I believe it too, same thing happened with Hummus and Pita bread!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy!
  • jkapp100
    jkapp100 Posts: 34
    Options
    Yum, that looks sooo good! Thanks
  • magdalena1976
    magdalena1976 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can find cheap tahini sauce in ethnic stores, such as middle eastern or indian grocery stores. They have a lot of interesting and cheaper food items that are much more expensive in a "regular" grocery store. I buy all my hummus, tahini, pita in a middle eastern grocery store. But of course homemade hummus is much more delicious and healthy!!