Eating healthy on a very tight budget

Options
2»

Replies

• bigbelly60
    Options
    If you don’t already know about protein complements, read some about them, and mix in more vegetarian meals:

http://www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com/protein-complementation.html

There’s an easy protein-complement chart in this one:

http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2011/03/protein-complementation/

Frances Lappé’s Diet for a Small Planet (oughta be in the public library) has a good and useful discussion, although I always thought the recipes were mostly dogs.

Hunt up vegetarian cookbooks in the public library to browse for ideas; fetch recipes from the Internet.

All of these recipes do not begin with “Harvest the wheat”:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

Grow your own bean and seed sprouts in jars in the kitchen. This takes mere tablespoons and a few days. :

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/food_and_drink/503137/how_to_grow_sprouts_at_home.html

(Cheesecloth, to cover the jars, is wildly cheaper in auto stores than supermarkets. Dried mung beans, for example, are available at many food coops, health-food stores and Asian markets. I get alfalfa seeds cheaper at agricultural –supply stores. Food coops tend to have the widest variety of whole grains, and the best prices on those, too. Coops and/or farmers markets for veggies and fruits. Couscous, which is actually a pasta, requires just boiling liquid to cover and left to stand for a few minutes.

(As an aside, Mexicans use epazote both to flavor cooked, non-sprouted beans and to cut down on the gas; it should NOT, however, be consumed by expectant mothers: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/epazote.html There are really very, very tasty bean recipes that are NOT flavored with meat; I find that onion, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, a few whole cloves and a few allspice berries are great. You probably know not to add salt to beans until they’re almost done, or they’ll be hard.

(The word for the property of herbs and spices that reduce gas is “carminative.” You may find one with a Wiki or other Web search that’s more to your taste, budget or availability. )

Make a lot of stir-fry and curry dishes, with relatively little meat and a variety of vegetables of different textures. A big cast-iron skillet can work about as well as a wok.

Make your own yogurt, overnight in the oven. Experiment with the unflavored gelatin in the classic Whole Earth Catalog recipe to get the consistency you like. Unfortunately, I can’t find a link to it at the moment, but it’s out there on the Internet. I find it works best with a gas oven that has an oven light.

You can invent recipes, and figure out what’s in them nutrition-wise using the “Track Food” feature of this Web site (which is what brought me here) and save them on the Web site.

I think spices are the key to making vegetarian, and indeed any, meals appetizing. You can grow those at home, too, in pots, if need be. They can be sun- or air-dried on the kitchen counter.

In the interests of time management and being able to turn out tasty things right quick, devote a morning or afternoon or whatever once a week to things like getting sprouts going, making your own chicken and vegetable broth. (I love the chicken-broth recipe in James Beard’s American Cookery, which also oughta be in the public library. Having refrigerated it overnight and scooped the fat off the top, I freeze it in ice-cube trays, pop ‘em out into Zip-Loc bags, and pluck what I need at the moment. Great as the liquid for cooking rice, barley and other grains. Can be diluted with water.)

I myself am an omnivore, but have my mother’s habit on a limited budget of buying what’s in season and on sale. The only difference now is I do that with more of an eye to lower fat and cholesterol, and not just to balanced meals.

Those are my first quick thoughts. Good luck, and happy eating!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Prepared foods are generally pricier than ingredients.

Cheap healthy foods: bananas, potatoes, rice, beans, whatevers in season/on sale, frozen veggies (I love buying frozen onions/peppers for mixes). Find cheaper cuts of meat and learn how to cook them. It can definately be done.

ETA, also Eggs! Breakfast for dinner is super cheap and quick to make.
  • dctexas65
    dctexas65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    see if you have a produce co op in your area called Bountiful Baskets www.bountifulbaskets.org you can get lots of produce (usually every other week) for $15 + processing fee of $1.50 you don't get to pick what you get but we have never been disappointed. Runs on volunteers so if you volunteer at the site you get even more stuff :)
  • bigbelly60
    Options
    Oh, and at the end of the day at weekly farmers markets, things can really get "priced to move" in a lot of places I've lived.
  • dctexas65
    Options
    Sorry, also forgot to mention to check your area for food pantries. In Texas we have Mobile Food Pantries that have drop off locations that will go to a community once per month, no minimum income requirements. Some of these mobile food pantries will close down if not enough clients participate so they want people to come out. I stayed with my parents (social security income) for 6 weeks and when they went they asked me to go so they could get more, so I did...there was lots of food given out and always TONS of food left over so they always asked everyone to tell there friends. *And before you all blast me, yes of course I pitched in to help with bills and food during the six weeks I was there and I also do lots of other things for my parents during the year*
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Eggs for protein

Cabbage is always in my fridge

Oatmeal

Grits

making large pots of food as well is cheaper when cooking for a family spighetti or chicken in rice or chili!! add in loads of celery and carrots and onions to make it as healthy as ya can and those are all cheap veggies!!
  • dctexas65
    Options
    Crockpot Lemon Rosemary Chicken

1 Whole Chicken $9 (depends on where you live- cheaper in Tx, more expensive in Ca.)
    1 pk Fresh Rosemary $3 Produce section (or jar)
    3 Fresh Lemon $2
    Salt, Pepper, any seasonings you like

Place whole thawed chicken (guts removed) breast sided up in lined or sprayed crock pot
    Cut Lemons in Half and squeeze Lemon juice around chicken and place in cavity or around chicken
    Place Rosemary in cavity or around chicken
    Salt, Pepper and sprinkle with seasoning (we love Tony Cacheres) and salt makes the lemon really pop

Cook on High 6 hours or Low 8 hours or until done
    Serve with Salad or Green Veggie
    This is really really really good
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Strongly recommend whole grains and legumes. Cheapest bang for your buck and you can viably get enough protein (1 gram per lb / body weight for builders) if you eat a decent amount. Go for 100% whole wheat breads, not just the ones that say "honey wheat" or what not.

Put some pinto beans in water overnight, rinse. Set on stove top at a slow boil for two or three hours. Add salt, cumin, a little bit of olive oil and some lime juice to drained beans. Stick in blender with a little retained cooking water. and pulse until creamy.

1.50 for 15 + servings of refried beans.

Also super cheap: plain oatmeal. 12 Serving canisters of plain oats regularly available at the dollar store. Giant 100 serving boxes of the old fashioned oats available for 8.50 at Costco.

You could probably boost fat macros and get more calories for your buck: natural peanut butter and olive oil go on sale often. A tablespoon of olive oil with minced garlic and italian seasoning makes a great dipping for bread if you need more calories.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    A lot of communities have a food pantry where you can take home a bag of groceries once a month. Granted, it will be canned goods and staples like pasta and rice, some of it not that greatest food, but it should help stretch your budget. If you're not sure if your area has a food pantry, call the local churches or Google "food pantry" and your town, city or county.

One cup of lentils has the protein of 3 eggs. Lentils have some of the highest protein in beans, plus you don't have to soak them. They cook in about 30 minutes. Boil and then cover and simmer until done. Lentils cost $1.20 a bag here in my grocery store, less in bulk at the health food store. Add some brown rice and vegetables and you have a complete meal. Lentils are especially good with onions, winter squash like butternut and acorn, tomatoes, and anything else. Add leafy green vegetables like collard greens, one of the cheapest greens.

I read on MFP that Mexican/Latino grocery stores often sell produce at lower prices than chain grocery stores. Curious, I went to the local Mexican grocery store and was surprised to find tomatoes, avocados, onions, lettuce, and some fruit at half the prices. Check the stores in your area.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have children, it would be worth checking out WIC income requirements (Women, Infants, and Children federal program). In our area, they teach cheap, nutritious cooking, and give you vouchers for the local farmers markets and grocery stores. They are housed in our local Public Health building. We also have a food bank program (no income proof required).

Nutritious cheap foods have already been suggested for you. I second the lentils, oatmeal, slow cooker recipes, and comparison shopping suggestions.

If you have a real freezer (they make ones that are apartment-sized), you can save a bunch by cooking large batches and freezing them (e.g., home-made bread and stews).
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are really inexpensive - and healthy. Same with frozen fruit. I spend about $100 per month on groceries...and it's all fresh fruits and veggies, frozen veggies, and lean meats (and I eat a lot of protein). Sometimes I'll have yogurt or some granola bars but for the most part - no processed foods.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    if you have the room grow your own, eggplants, carrots, string beans, tomatoes, herbs can be grown in planters, Make it a community proget where several families come together and work the garden to share. doesnt solve the problem of meat so buy whats on sale in a much bulk as you can. I can from a single parent mom who always found a way.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Get familiar with the cycle of loss leaders at the local set of grocery stores. Around here, we've got three of them (though I swear they sit at the same dinner table cuz the SAME DARN THINGS are on sale at each of them and they take turns being the cheapest game in town). I figure having to at least feign competition keeps the prices a tad lower lol. College kid staples take well to being veggied up. Exhibit A: ramen noodles. Also, learn to love your plastic wrap. Chicken thighs come in big bags and can be individually wrapped and shoved in a freezer. Also, don't be afraid to show up when the bargain basement cuts go on sale and ask them to thin slice it - the thinner it is, the easier it is to tenderize the crap out of it :) and yes, that can be frozen too.

My only really specific piece of advice would be to get sale-priced bags of frozen veggies and stack 'em like cordwood in the remainder of your freezer as they are the laziest way to do veggies ever (plus they keep nutrition better than stuff that's been sitting out post-pick for a week or more).
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What one calls "healthy" another may call disgusting. Homemade breads take some time to learn how to do correctly, but fortunately flour is cheap for the learning. I make up a pizza crust when I have time, place it in the frig for when I want it. i can make that crust as thin or thick as I want when it comes time to bake. I can use whole grain flour/ organic/ gluten free/ potato/eggs/ just about any crust I want to satisfy any dietary need. The sauce can be purchased canned or a fast sauce made from tomato sauce/ paste/ and seasonings - just mix and by the time the crust is done the sauce has melded and is ready to use.
    Mozzarella cheese goes on sale in cycles and can be stored in the freezer for when you need it, leftover pizza slices can also be stored there. You can put whatever toppings you like - I happen to like a variety of pizza flavors and tastes from thai chicken, reuben, taco, asian, ... makes a fun date night to decide what kind of pizza will be made that week. I serve it with a salad usually or some kind of veggie sticks.

I found split chicken breasts on sale this week for .99 lb and I stock up on these then, also on skinless/boneless when it gets to $1.68/lb. With a food processor AND in small portions you can grind your own chicken breast for "sausage" and burgers. I cook up chicken in the crock pot and save the cook stuff in portions to add to what I am cooking for a fast easy meal. Chicken strips are super easy to make on your own and freeze for when you need.

I do like to use legumes for making veggie burgers, but when you are dealing with other tastes and comfort foods, this may not go over well. In my case we keep easy to heat cooked meat in freezer and veggie burger stuff to make me and the man happy for speedy meals.

I do garden in earthboxes outside my house, but unfortunately i have found this does not save me money (It used to when I had more time and canned alot), but not anymore. It is more of a joy/ satisfaction thing for me now. I find grocery sale loss leaders to be my sure bet on saving money on fruits and veggies in season.

Good luck to you.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you can, learn to butcher up a whole chicken. Whole chickens are usually pretty cheap per pound (cheaper than parts) and are often on sale. One chicken will give you two breasts, two tenderloins, two legs, two thighs, 4 wings, and the carcass for stock (then save clean vege scraps to add to them). If you bought three of them (usually for under $5.00 a chicken), think about how many meals that is.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    im on a pretty tight budget right now. just went shopping for the week, i spent 100 for two adults and two growing boys, and we live in an area with a very high cost of everything, lol. i might go again for more veg and milk before the week is through, but this is mostly it. i bought:

20 worth of fruits and vegetables (we do grow most of our veg, so it was mostly fruit. in winter i would double this)
    40 worth of meat (cheaper cuts, look for sales)- whole chickens, a lean pork loin on sale, ground turkey, beef stew meat
    oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, ww tortillas
    potatoes (i didnt cound those as veg, lol)
    pasta and canned tomatoes ( i eat half pasta half romaine lettuce with sauce)
    large tub of plain yogurt, milk, tofu, eggs and cottage cheese
    a big bag of beans to make refried beans
    olive oil
    a box of popsicles and a tub of cookies and cream ice cream (it was the boy's turn to pick desert)

our menu this week is:

M chicken on salad with rice
    T pasta with sauce and salad
    W whole chicken, roasted potato, veggies
    TH pork adobo with rice, veggies
    F meatloaf with potatoes, veggies
    S beef fajitas, refried beans, salad

we have oatmeal or yogurt with fruit for breakfast, sometimes eggs and toast
    lunch is leftovers, PBJ, or salad
    snacks are apples etc.
    desert is ice cream or popsicles in the summer. i bake in the winter.

HTH. i find that if i make a menu ahead of time i spend less money. sometimes when i get it together enough i bake our bread, which cuts the costs quite a bit. i shop at the discount supermarket, everything costs less. also, coupons. also, buying in bulk!