quit smoking weird effects!

Options
hi guys?? can i ask something?? i quit smoke 6days ago..and now i feel something weird in my throat..its hard for me to explain it..but i feel like there's a lump on my throat..when i eat any kinds of food it will go away and later on it will be back....anyone also have this?? please put my mind at ease...

HELP PLEASE!!

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Erm.. Go to the doctors? When I quit smoking I didn't get this.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I quit smokin a month ago and didn't have any problems. You should go to your dr and have it checked out!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I've had that feeling before, but it was post nasal drip. I'm not sure if your problem is from quitting smoking or not, if it's bothering you badly and hasn't gone away you should probably see your doctor.
  • superninin
    Options
    o.O so im the only one having this problem for all of those quitting smokers??
    im going to see a doctor tomorrow..
    i hope its not something serious problem... :((
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like acid reflux then a side effect of not smoking. I always felt like I had a lump in my throat and eating seemed to help a little. It was weird and it turned out to be silent acid reflux.

The strangest thing I noticed after I quit smoking was that I coughed more! About a month after I quit I was constantly coughing, it was annoying and finally went away after another few months. I thought quitting would make me not cough as much! lol

Good luck with quitting, it's not easy!
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My co-worker quit and got something similar he said it felt like a lump in his throat and pressure in his chest when he exerted himself a little. He went to the doctor for a bunch of tests and everything checked out fine. His went away after a month or two. Best bet is to see your doctor and make sure it is nothing. Forums should never make you feel good nor will google searches.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Edit
  • superninin
    Options
    it is colie..
    i quit smoke and after 2days i started to feel this...
    its been 6days now since i quit..until now i still feel this weird throat of mine...:((
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Of course call your doc, but I think it could be from swelling tissues from the release of toxins (I know, not this board's favorite term.)
  • superninin
    Options
    well thanks for some info...im going to hospital tomorrow to be sure of this..
  • pilarter
    pilarter Posts: 49
    Options
    I think you don´t need to worry too much. It is more than probably mucus, from yor throat or from your lungs. Tobacco, smoke, avoids your lungs to geet properly "self-cleaned", as the tissues has their own slight movement that rejects mucus out of your lungs and bronchi, and this kind-of-movement is slow or absolutely abolished by the effect of the smoke you have been inhaling for... years?
    Now you don´t smoke, your lungs needs deep cleaning and feel able to do it, being smoke-free. You will be releasing mucus for weeks or months. This is why most of ex-smokers say they feel worse now that they don´t smoke than when they were smoking before. This is nasty, because you feel them all the time in your throat or up and down your trachea, and they make food taste funny (LOL well not that fun!). But think about the best decision you could make for your health, even better than losing weight.
    I allow myself to tell you this all because I am a doctor, a family physician, and I see this in a daily basis. I just don´t want you to worry too much, let some few days pass and see how you feel. Go toy our doctor whether you think you would worry too much, he/she will congratulate you for your good decision and will encourage your strong will and determination.
    Go go go! We can do this. I am quitting smoking net week too. As soon as I reach my weight goal, as I quitted few months ago and gained like 11 pounds, now my goal is 6 pounds under so I don´t stress too much about getting fat again. Maybe we could befriend here and help each other!
  • superninin
    Options
    hi pilar?
    how long wil i wait for this side effect to be completely gone??

BTW thanks for that info..
    it really helps me..
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My first thought was mucus too...I wouldn't worry about it too much. But go to the docs just to be sure.

No one can really tell you how long it will last though.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I quit several times before I kept it up for good, and I did seem to get a cold (sore throat, etc) in the beginning for some reason.

Keep drinking lots of water through this process, and see a doctor if it doesn't improve or seems to worsen!

Edited to add...Congratulations on quitting :flowerforyou:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I got that too when I quit about 3 weeks ago. Your body may do a number of weird things from the withdrawals, but the benefits of quitting are awesome! The first three days sucked for me though. All I did was lock myself in the house and eat, sleep, exercise and crave cigarettes all freaking day. It was neverending! lol, it gets better though. Good luck!
  • pilarter
    pilarter Posts: 49
    Options
    hi pilar?
    how long wil i wait for this side effect to be completely gone??

BTW thanks for that info..
    it really helps me..

how long? who knows. It depends on how much mucus you keep hidden in your bronchi and lungs. weeks or a few months. drink lots of water, so mucus is mostly liquid than solid, it will be gone easier. I heard that biting grapefruit seeds helps with the quitting because of the awful taste of smoke it gives. (hint)
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 years ago and all I got was the move vivid nightmares ever!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 years ago and all I got was the move vivid nightmares ever!
    Chantix?
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! As of 7/31/13, I will have quit smoking for 3 years. I agree with others, that I felt horrible for about a week or two after I quit. The physical addiction eased after about 2 weeks. The hardest part for me quitting smoking was the mental part. Smoking was such a habit! I had to remind myself in the morning that I quit smoking. I would mentally crave that cigarette in the morning, or when I drove, or after dinner, or when I was on the phone, etc. I was a pack a day smoker for over 25 years, and I can tell you it ruled my life. I was always planning that next cigarette. Once I got past the mental part of smoking, I have never looked back and never really wanted a cigarette again. (Took about a year for me.)

Good luck to you! If I can do it, you can.
  • ClearLungs_CO
    ClearLungs_CO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this post is really old, but I read a bunch of these forums when I quit smoking 4 weeks ago and they were very helpful. I also had the weird lump in throat feeling for the last 3 weeks as well as headaches and ear pain. I highly recommend taking Mucinex and drinking lots of water. My Dr told me the excess post nasal drainage can irritate the throat and cause a lump like sensation. I started Mucinex 2 days ago and I feel great now. Such a relief! Good luck everyone!