Keeping it under my calorie goal?

Options
How successful would you say staying under my calorie goal (according to MFP) is? Of course, exercising is going to bring more success, but is staying under my calorie goal actually going to bring weight loss? Did anyone out there just change their diet and add exercise later?

Replies

• kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I first started on my weight loss journey I only changed my diet. I would lose weight, but my body still looked the same or at most onky saw minor changes. I've had two kids so mot sure if that might have been a factor. When I added working out with reducing my calories my body began to transform. Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey!
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The first time I used MFP, I didn't exercise much, if at all. I lost 12 lbs in a couple months just staying under my calories from MFP. So yes, you can lose weight with just the calorie goal but it's better to add exercise as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How successful would you say staying under my calorie goal (according to MFP) is? Of course, exercising is going to bring more success, but is staying under my calorie goal actually going to bring weight loss? Did anyone out there just change their diet and add exercise later?
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, a calorie deficit (taking in less than you expend) is all that's needed. If you want to factor in fat loss vs. muscle loss, aesthetics and retention of lean body mass (of which muscle is a component), then macronutrient composition (especially adequate protein intake) and exercise (especially strength training) are of increasing importance.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, a calorie deficit (taking in less than you expend) is all that's needed. If you want to factor in fat loss vs. muscle loss, aesthetics and retention of lean body mass (of which muscle is a component), then macronutrient composition (especially adequate protein intake) and exercise (especially strength training) are of increasing importance.

Perfect answer! I second this
  • efitterp
    efitterp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input!:smile: