And So it Begins

Options
Back in September of this year I decided once again to get back into blogging. I blog about running, being a new father, and life in general (if you're interested, it's www.therunnerdad.com). It was around Halloween when I wrote a post about going pumpkin picking with my wife and son. I included a photo...and that's when it hit me. Man, had I put on some weight. You could definitely see it in my face, but you could see it in my mid section too. I was ashamed...and I thought that would get me going. It didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I started running again, but I was still eating terrible. Over the previous year, I had stopped running all together. Then, after my wife became pregnant, I used it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted...sympathy eating I liked to joke. I figured once our child was born I would turn things around. As you all know, it's hard to end a relationship...especially one with eating. And so it continued...

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I had to go get my license renewed. I got my picture taken, waited patiently for it to be made, then headed out to the parking lot. Only then did I take a look at the photo...and compare it to the one 4 years ago. Who was this impostor looking back at me from my new license...his face was round and sad. My old photo was what I felt like on the inside...happy and slim. Apparently that guy was hiding somewhere under the layers of fat. That's when I decided it was time.

So, a few days ago I set out to lose the weight and start training again. My weigh in was at 178 lbs. Never thought I'd weigh that much...back in High School, a mere 15 years ago, I had weighed 135lbs (I'm 5'7).

The journey begins. Here are my goals for myself:

1. Get down to 160lbs.
2. Get my mile time back down somewhere in the 6-6:30 range (best time in high school was 4:56).
3. Get my 5K time back under 21 minutes (best time in high school was 17:31).
4. For the first time ever see some ab muscles.
5. Strengthen my back and core, so I'm not sore every time I pick up my son.

And so it begins...I'm on day 4, and despite some hunger pangs, I'm doing alright. Let's see where this journey takes me!

Replies

• kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere and it sounds like you've made a GREAT start! Keep up the good work and just remember that the first couple weeks are the hardest. Your body will adjust. I always remind myself that people have lived on less and not just survived but thrived. You'll be happier and healthier in the end!
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    good luck! I just started running a year ago and am trying to start up again to achieve some new goals.
    feel free to add me and best of luck!
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good Luck - whatever your motivation, the hardest step is always the first one. And you've already taken that one.
  • TheRunnerDad
    TheRunnerDad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Happy to report I'm down 18lbs, my mile time is at 6:36, I'm starting to see a small bit of definition in my abs, but I'm still working on my back and core.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    great job! keep it up...you're on the right track!!!
  • TheRunnerDad
    TheRunnerDad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Down 23lbs! 2 to go to reach my ultimate goal of 25lbs lost!

Still need a lot of work on my abs and back muscles, but every day is a new day!