What is the BEST brand of coffee?

Options

Replies

• skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Oooh...I'm not sure of the brands, but I'm torn between two kinds: Jamaican Blue and Kona.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We buy local roasted coffee. If we grab something at the store it's usually Kicking Horse. Whole bean, grind it ourselves.

Most days however we rely on our Nespresso machine.

However the BEST coffee IMHO is Jamaican Blue Mountain. Buy from certified sellers.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The generic store brand at my grocery. It is really good.

A close running would be Newmans Own.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict! I try to only buy coffee that is "Fair Trade" certified. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the cheap, commercial brands, but that's because the people producing it are paid a living wage. Equal Exchange, Just Coffee, and countless local fair trade roasters sell some great quality coffee.

I worked in Central America as a human rights worker - that experience really opened my eyes to the misery that a lot of coffee pickers experience. Unfortunately, most Americans really have no idea what goes into making our coffee. One awesome piece of info - all Dunkin' Donuts coffee is fair trade certified! When I'm on the go, I try to get my brew from DD.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I visit New Orleans with quite a bit of regularity and always enjyed this brand that is popular down there--although they are out of Baton Rouge--not NOLA:
    http://www.communitycoffee.com

I've ordered mail order from them many times and when I run it through a French press, I feel it blows Starbucks away. I particularly like the Hue Hue Tanango blend from Guatemala.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    something freshly roasted, not from the grocery store and nothing sold in a sealed airtight pouch. i used to run a cafe and believe me you can see, taste and smell the difference between an espresso shot pulled from freshly roasted freshly ground beans and one pulled from beans that were roasted weeks ago. IMO the freshness of the roast is way more important than the brand.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    While not a Seattlite, I'm still a Washingtonian, and I agree, go to a local roaster. One nearby me run by some old friends of mine is called Tinderbox Coffee Roasters. Excellent coffee.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hands down. It is Green Mountain Breakfast Blend or their Nantucket Blend. I have the Keuric coffee maker. So making it one cup at a time is great. But then my husband works for Green Mountain and that is how I got started trying all the different coffees they make. (There tea is great too.)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Not a brand, exactly, but I'm a huge fan of the Kenya AA varietal. It's probably one of the most distinct and different coffees out there.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love Gevalia espresso roast (i use the pour over method to brew...)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Local roasters are almost always going to have a better taste and freshness over packaged stuff. Sounds like you are talking about making it at home, so buy whole beans and grind it for each cup if you can. A French press is a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy very good coffee flavor (coarse grind for French press!)

You can spend a lot of money on coffee (burr grinder, $1000 expresso pumps) but no amount of equipment or brewing method can overcome bad coffee. So get good beans. Experiment. Talk to your local coffee shop. People love to talk about coffee.

When on the go, black coffee is best at Dunkin' Donuts and yes, McDonalds. I'll take brewed coffee from either over Starbucks any day. And I don't hate Starbucks. Their expresso is actually pretty good, and I get Americanos there regularly. But their regular drip coffee is only so-so. All my opinion, of course.

The more milk/cream and sugar you put in your coffee, the less all of this matters. I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but don't put anything in my coffee unless it's really bad and I'm trying to mask the taste. Then I'll make it into some kind of hot creamy desert drink. And cry a little bit.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I visit New Orleans with quite a bit of regularity and always enjyed this brand that is popular down there--although they are out of Baton Rouge--not NOLA:

I've ordered mail order from them many times and when I run it through a French press, I feel it blows Starbucks away. I particularly like the Hue Hue Tanango blend from Guatemala.

YES!!! This is what I drink. I particularly like the Community Coffee in the red bag. Dark roast with Chicory. I was born and raised in Southern Louisiana, currently living in Baton Rouge. I even had a part-time job at one of the CC's Coffee Houses for a few years.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    that expensive brand that the animals poop out and then they roast....no joke

Personally I like Newfoundland's Screech Coffee....even though I hate screech.

Do you like light, medium, dark, flavored? I'm mostly a hazelnut dark roast lover.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Why Gevalia of course :wink:

Haven't you seen the ad with the so-called European 'hunk'? xDDD
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

YES!!! This is what I drink. I particularly like the Community Coffee in the red bag. Dark roast with Chicory. I was born and raised in Southern Louisiana, currently living in Baton Rouge. I even had a part-time job at one of the CC's Coffee Houses for a few years.
    mmm dark roast with chicory sounds good.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Regionally, I typically like Ethiopian, Kenyan, and Sumatran coffees. Right now the specific coffee I'm drinking is from Target, it's the Archer Farms Tierra Del Sol; it's organic, fair trade, single-source, from Southern Mexico, and costs about $7.00 for a 12 oz bag. Coffee can be a very personal thing though, what one person loves another may hate. Enjoy your experimenting! :drinker:
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Dunkin' Donuts. Yummm!!! :love:
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I live on the East Coast. My favorite coffee is Wawa coffee, especially the Kona blend! Wawa is a chain of gas station/quickie mart type of store. You can buy a fresh cup of coffee or buy the beans to take home. Best coffee ever. I find Starbucks coffee to be way too strong for me and way too expensive.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    C8PD.jpg

Best. Coffee. Ever. No other words are needed.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is the very best I've ever had. They're local to WV but ship fresh roasted beans anywhere!

http://www.blackdogcoffee.net/

Its been a while since I've ordered from Black Dog. The coffee is great, I particularly enjoy the Ethiopian Harrar and Guatemala Huehuetenango.

On a side note, I can't choke down coffee with cream and sugar. If I can't have it black, I don't drink it.

I used to live close to the owner of Black Dog and he would deliver it to my door. Now I'm a couple of hours away so I need to mail order. He now has a retail store open in Kearneysville that serves fresh brewed coffee, sandwiches, bakery items made by local folks, etc.

I must try this coffee! I am not too far away in Charles Town.