WAS sooo looking forward to my first gym workout

Options
Was so looking forward to my gym induction and first gym work out, now feeling very deflated! Got to the end of my work out thought I had done really well, and thought I would just try another machine, you know got on it gave it a whirl and got off. And then these to girls look at me and laughed, feel so down now. I know I shouldn't let them get to me but its hard. :cry:

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Was so looking forward to my gym induction and first gym work out, now feeling very deflated! Got to the end of my work out thought I had done really well, and thought I would just try another machine, you know got on it gave it a whirl and got off. And then these to girls look at me and laughed, feel so down now. I know I shouldn't let them get to me but its hard. :cry:

Please don't let them get to you. Unfortunately there are some nasty people out there but you are better than them.

You are doing amazing and it is hard to take the first steps - trust me i have been the 'fat' person in the gym. Use that negative feeling to spur you on.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    people are jerks! Don't let some anyone make you feel bad! You are awesome for getting into the gym! Awesome for trying something new, getting out of your comfort zone, etc.

keep it up! I bet you didn't notice all the looks from people that were thinking "wow I wish I could do what she's doing" or "wow she's doing great"

There will always be someone fitter, better, faster, smarter, etc. but the only person you are in competition with is the person you were yesterday!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

They're not worth a single drop of your energy or time. Let them laugh. You can change your body and how you feel, but they can't change being jack@$$es
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options

Lol seriously!? Come ON! Dont be like that! They could have been laughing because they remember being there it may not have been a malicious thing at all here let me tell you a story.

I went on vacation about four months ago and the resort where i was staying had a fantastic gym! I had NEVER worked out in a gym before so when i walked in and saw Mr. Badass killing one machine after another i almost ran out like a chicken. Well i decided to stay and try a treadmil for the first time I ended up turning it up waaay too fast and grabbing onto the rails for dear LIFE! Then i got off and tried the elliptical and failed miserably then i found the bike and managed not to look completely idiotic using it lol

Moral of the story we have all been "that person" at the gym its apart of life and if you cant laugh at yourself your gonna have a hardtime :) dont worry about it, keep going! Sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is blunt but seriously, who gives a crap what two random girls (and "girls" being the important term here, meaning juvenile females who are shallow and dimwitted) think about you?! They're there lifting barbie weights and primping in the mirror while you're working your *kitten* off like people should be in the gym! Hold your head high and ignore those snobby witches!

Secondary thought - are you really sure they were laughing at you or were you just projecting your insecurities on the situation?

Either way - don't let it get you down. You got this!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate public gyms. There are always people like these girls who feel it is their right to judge you for your looks and workout routine.

Who needs that kind of attitude from people? I get enough psychological bashing just by looking in the mirror. And I'm working on that.

If you want some positive gym experiences, join a fitness class where you go into a private room for working out. I teach and take Zumba classes, and they are the MOST fun I've ever had working out. It's so awesome to see a bunch of people laughing and having a great time during the workouts. And NO Zumba instructor will criticize or critique you for your size or skill level.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    People like that are not worth your time, health, and happiness. Don't worry about them and focus on you. Bring headphones and blast music next time. Stay in the zone and remember that it's not about them, but all about you!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is blunt but seriously, who gives a crap what two random girls (and "girls" being the important term here, meaning juvenile females who are shallow and dimwitted) think about you?! They're there lifting barbie weights and primping in the mirror while you're working your *kitten* off like people should be in the gym! Hold your head high and ignore those snobby witches!

Secondary thought - are you really sure they were laughing at you or were you just projecting your insecurities on the situation?

yes.

And please don't let this stop you. remember that only extremely insecure people get their jollies by making fun of others. they are just pathetic little worms.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You know, someday you'll be a gym veteran, and there will be someone in there that is just starting out. Instead of laughing, you'll offer to help. In the meantime, get a buddy to go with you, or crank your iPod. Focus on WHY you're there and how awesome you're doing! It doesn't matter how slow you go, you're lapping everybody on the couch!
  • sallyann10010
    sallyann10010 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and your all right, their the ones who need to get a life! Looking forward to going again tomorrow. Thanks again for your support xx
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you aren't letting them derail you. Anyone who would laugh at someone getting fit at the gym is a pathetic loser. Have a great workout!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and your all right, their the ones who need to get a life! Looking forward to going again tomorrow. Thanks again for your support xx

:drinker: Cheers! Go kick some butt!
  • VivereDisce
    Options
    When I had my first gym membership. I used to go late at night so no one was there. (It was a 24 hour gym.) One of the first times I went, there was a girl there on her phone. I was tying my gym shoes, and had my headphones in. She didn't know I could still hear her, and was on the phone talking about how I was fat, and it should be entertaining to see me work out. I brushed it off and went to the elliptical, and proceeded to do an 11 minute mile, which was a new record for me. I was out of breath, dripping sweat, and looked over to see her paging through a magazine while she strolled casually on the treadmill.

Just because you're bigger than them and more out of shape, doesn't mean they have a right to make you feel bad about yourself. Go in there and do the best you can do. You're making yourself better. If they have a problem with that, it's ONLY THEIR problem. Be proud of yourself every time you go to the gym and work out as hard as you can. Don't let anyone else stop you from doing it!
  • sallyann10010
    sallyann10010 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I will thanks, got that bikini body in my thoughts for next year lol
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Wow. I don't think the OP mentioned at all what the girls were actually doing, or their ages, or their intelligence.... Women need to support each other, not jump on the witch hunting band wagon.

To the OP: sometimes it feels like everyone who laughs, is laughing at you. It's not true. If they were laughing at you, then that's their problem, and one day they will be called out for their behavior. Whatever their intention was, don't let it change yours - go to the gym, try what you want, and have a good time.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    just smile sweetly and tell them "Karma is Bit*%" You go Girl, don't let the shallow insecure gym wenches who are only there to pick up guys get you down. This is your journey, wear your headphones and focus only on you
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Anyone who would laugh at someone who is at the gym trying to better their health is a crappy person and anything they say/do means absolutely nothing. I've been there too. People whistle/beep/yell things at me out of their cars when I'm running outside and that happened when I was overweight and at a normal weight. But think about it...do you think if only one of the girls was there, she would've laughed at you? No. It's only because her stupid friend was with her and they were trying to be cool/funny/whatever crappy people do.

I admit that it took me a while to get used to working out in front of other people. I get so self conscious and embarrassed but I've learned to realize that we're all there for the same reason: to be healthier. There are people of all shapes and sizes in the gym and I feel so proud of the bigger people who are killing it in the gym because I used to be there. Get back in there!!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So here are my two cents. When I'm at the gym sometimes I laugh to myself, regularly I sing out loud to myself, often I sob uncontrollably to myself, occassionally I dance for myself. All of this while on the eliptical or treadmill or nautilus machines, and sometimes in a group ex class. Maybe people are pointing and commenting about me. Maybe some people around me think my actions are about them. Maybe some days I bite off more than I can chew. Maybe some days I'm a gym bada$$. But in the 10 years or so I've been going to the same gym on and off I've learned that everyone is there for their own reasons and rarely if ever do they care about what is going on around them while they are there. I don't notice what other people are doing and I strongly believe they don't care what I am doing at 275 lbs or at my current 178 lbs or anywhere in between. To paraphrase; Exercise like no one is watching...you will be happier all the way around in if you do!