Barbell hip thrusts, sore hamstrings, not glutes

Options
I recently added barbell hip thrusts in addition to my hamstring/glute routine. I did them yesterday at the gym and today only my hamstrings are sore. I am squeezing my glutes at the top of the move, but I have no soreness at all in my butt. Am I doing them wrong perhaps?

Replies

• eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Maybe... I think we need a video to see your form...

If you want to hit your glutes really well and get that solid tie-in from glutes-hamstrings try doing wide stance "sumo" squats with a barbell. This works my glutes really well when squeezing through the motion and it'll help to bring in that perfect muscle that ties your glutes into your hammies!
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have been doing wide stance barbell squats and have gotten good results from that. Although last week I was so focused on keeping my heel pressed into the floor that I almost fell backwards. :embarassed:
    Where should I be resting the barbell with the hip thrusts? It's kind of painful resting on my hip bones.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You could use a foam pad to do it. Or get a dumbbell and put it between your legs? I usually don't even use weight when I do those. Just focus on the squeeze and slow movement. 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can't do this exercise because it hurts my hamstrings too much!! :(
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I did these lastnight too. It hurt 100% in my bum. I think you need to engage the glutes for the entire movement. I just rested the bar in the crease where my hips bend and just kept it in the same spot for the entire movement.

maybe you need to stretch your hammies more.

also, maybe your bum is in better shape than your hammies and maybe it works your hammies?

Those are my thoughts.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Put your feet further apart, make sure to get your hips high and lower slowly. Also, point your toes up so only your heels are touching.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are doing it right or not, but muscle soreness is not a good way to judge results.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    it's a compound movement so don't be alarmed if it works other muscles as well. Seems like you're doing it right by squeezing them at the top of the movement though. As stated before, soreness isn't the best way to judge results
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Agree with putting your feet further apart and also with engaging your glutes the whole time, not just at the top. I would also suggest iso holds. I do a 10-second hold at the end of each set, but you could do it for a second or two after each rep if you wanted.

If you are not yet able to use big plates, which would keep the bar off your hips when you're resting, try rack hip thrusts (as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tXjhaxF1OO0) or stack plates on the floor underneath the plates on the bar to raise it up enough so that it's not resting on you.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good tips for not eating **** while doing barbell squats? I almost fell backwards last week.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Google Bret Contreras tutorial on You Tube for this.

If you don't feel the glutes, you're not activating them. He'll show you and tell you what you're prob doing wrong. Love that vid and he is so fine!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Haha! I should've read the comments first! But goes to show what a great vid it is!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Most likely your glutes are weak/inactive. Try some isolated glute activation exercises prior to doing this exercise. While doing the exercise, make sure your hips stay neutral and you don't arch your back.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good tips for not eating **** while doing barbell squats? I almost fell backwards last week.

Are you doing low bar? Helps me feel more stable. You lean slightly more forward. Look up Ripptoe's article on it.