Artificial sweeteners

Options

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My line on it is simple: If it came from an actual plant, eat it. If it was made by some guy WORKING in a plant, don't eat it.
    So how does the "simple" line work when you process stevia leaf from a plant in a process plant to make stevia extract ?

Everything that humans touch is evil, and the more human handling that is involved in processing a product, the more evil the product becomes because it absorbs our human evil in the process. But our evil can be ameliorated by reducing the number of products that have been extensively handled by humans ... thus, we are engaged in a moral struggle with ourselves; it's not just about food. The world would be a much better place without us in it, since we are the fount of everything unnatural and corrupt. Since Stevia is processed by humans, it's evil to a degree, but not as evil as something which has been created solely in a lab. Hope that clears things up. ;)

I believe this kind of back-to-nature eco-theology system has much in common with 2,000 year old Gnostic theology: the universe is an abortion created by an evil and crazy emanation of the true God, named the Demiurge. Our task (according to the Gnostics) is to escape this distorted creation and return the divine sparks within us to the realm of pure spirit. Eco-theology has basically replaced the Demiurge with ourselves: the world is tainted because we're mad creators usurping the true God, and the best thing we can do is rid it of ourselves.

Written as I sip my tea sweetened with Nectresse ... :)
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    I get migraines that put me to sleep from artificial sweeteners. I avoid them at all costs.

I look at this way, is this something I would feed my kids and feel good about? If not, then don't eat it.

I am not "ok" with giving my kids artificial sweeteners, sodas and processed foods. Guess what, they are not missing anything.

In fact, its funny how they relate themselves and their health to their friends that eat fast food, sodas, etc... and how their friends are always sick and/or depressed along with being overweight.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've been using Equal in my coffee for 20+ years. Been drinking Diet Coke for longer. I don't have cancer. My kids weren't born with 3 heads. It's not evil. Unless you have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, like some people do, there's nothing wrong with them. It's just a matter of personal taste.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Absolutely terrible. They are made in a lab. Anything that is not natural or sounds like a chemistry experiment will never be easily digestible.

Stick to honey or stevia to sweeten.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been using Equal in my coffee for 20+ years. Been drinking Diet Coke for longer. I don't have cancer. My kids weren't born with 3 heads. It's not evil. Unless you have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, like some people do, there's nothing wrong with them. It's just a matter of personal taste.

This is true. However, even stopping diet soda and you will notice a hell of a weight difference. "DIET" does not mean healthier or better calories.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No artifical sweeteners for me,due to migraines.Have learned to live with it & use regular sugar in very small amounts.Flavored waters or SF iced tea works for me.

Do they aggravate migraines? I suffer with them and would have to stay clear of the artificial sweeteners if that's the case

For what it's worth, they cause migraines for me, but if they are not the cause of the migraine, they probably won't aggravate it.

To the OP, for what it's worth, the research is still out on whether or not artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Some studies showed a correlation between cancer and lab rodents, but the amount of Aspartame they fed the rodents were more than any human could ever possibly consume. For me, I suffer from migraines so I can't use them. However, even if they didn't trigger them, I would avoid them. For me the research that shows that your body digests tries to digest artificial sweeteners as if they were real are the concerning parts. I'd rather have the calories and have my body be able to digest them properly than save the calories and have my body be unable to process it.

For ideas as to what I am talking about:
    http://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/2004/040629.Swithers.research.html (for what it's worth, when your body loses the ability to count calories, it tends to mean that your body believes that you've consumed more calories than it has, and processes fat accordingly)
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
  • LMLinny1899
    Options
    Keep in mind that you should try a little bit of any artificial sweetener, before using it in large amounts, to make sure you won't react. After making muffins one day with Truvia, I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to stevia.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Absolutely terrible. They are made in a lab. Anything that is not natural or sounds like a chemistry experiment will never be easily digestible.

Fiber isn't easily digestible ... That's the whole point of including it in your diet ... And it isn't made in a lab.

I also wasn't aware that what something sounds like was related to its digestibility, toxicity, or anything else. As has been repeated ad nauseum in these forums, a lot of "natural" things are very bad for you ... And a lot of things made in a lab are perfectly innocuous.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Fiber isn't easily digestible ... That's the whole point of including it in your diet ... And it isn't made in a lab.

I also wasn't aware that what something sounds like was related to its digestibility, toxicity, or anything else. As has been repeated ad nauseum in these forums, a lot of "natural" things are very bad for you ... And a lot of things made in a lab are perfectly innocuous.

Ah, the natural fallacy... Processing is bad! Unless it's fermentation of alcohol, or the processing involved in making stevia extract, or processing to make tofu or soy milk, or the processing known as cooking, or canning or smoothie-making... SELECTIVE natural fallacy.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Natural doesn't mean healthy. Natural can be harmful as well.

Something made in a factory or lab can be good for you... they can be lifesaving.

There is no real answer. Everyone needs to use what works best for their calorie budget, their budget and their body.
  • thisismeraw
    Options

This is true. However, even stopping diet soda and you will notice a hell of a weight difference. "DIET" does not mean healthier or better calories.

Not drinking diet pop will not make someone lose weight. Diet means lower calories or fat than their regular counterpart. Diet pop has 0 calories and therefore won't change your weight.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Anything sweet is evil. Sugar is evil. Aspartame is evil. Honey is evil. All sweeteners, both foreign and domestic are evil. Never eat or drink anything sweet ever again. End thread.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Something made in a factory or lab can be good for you... they can be lifesaving.

There is no real answer. Everyone needs to use what works best for their calorie budget, their budget and their body.

I'd like to get anyone who embraces all things natural to be denied anything unnatural should they ever end up in hospital...
  • thisismeraw
    Options

I'd like to get anyone who embraces all things natural to be denied anything unnatural should they ever end up in hospital...

I understand how everyone wants to eat natural things thinking they are good for you... which in most cases they are however I hate when someone says they will not consume anything that is not natural. So would they not use Advil, Tylenol, flu medicine, vitamins, and other various medications? Would they not allow a doctor to give them lifesaving medications? Do they not use shampoos, conditioners, cleansers, lotions, etc when those are made in a factory and full of chemicals which get absorbed through your skin when used?

You cannot cut out everything factory or lab made and keep perfect health.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are terrible for you. They cause massive unhealthy cravings, they bloat you up like a balloon and they can cause your bladder to become sensitive to where you are running to the bathroom all the time for a wee. As soon as I started kicking out the diet coke I was drinking, all these symptoms went away and it was easier to stay on track and just feel healthier over all.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners for the most part. Honestly, just use the real thing if it's just a little sugar in your coffee. The calories don't add up to be all that much.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are terrible for you. They cause massive unhealthy cravings, they bloat you up like a balloon and they can cause your bladder to become sensitive to where you are running to the bathroom all the time for a wee. As soon as I started kicking out the diet coke I was drinking, all these symptoms went away and it was easier to stay on track and just feel healthier over all.

These issues do happen to some people but not everyone. Some people are sensitive to sweeteners... some are not and have no issues with them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yuck yuck YUCK!

I personally can not stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. They don't taste like sugar at all and they just leave a nasty aftertaste.

If I had to choose between real sugar and fake crap I'd go real all day long. Sugar in the raw if it was available.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you if you have too much... When issues form over these products it's because you take someone who is a sugar junky and try to make them use artificial sweeteners. Great idea, except they aren't using one half a pack up to 2 packages per drink,no, they are using 4+ for EVERY drink they drink that day.

I use 1 packet of Sweet and Low for 1 quart of liquid, that's not much at all, but it's enough sweet for me, and I DO have a sweet tooth, but I have weaned myself from that sweet craving. It takes over a year to do it, but you can do it. My drinks don't have to be sweet anymore. Getting anything at McDonald's is hard to do because it's like syrup there.

I once seen a young man (age 21) put 8 packets of sweetener in a unsweetened koolaid. Yep... it's insane...

Anyway, unless you are using raw or organic sweeteners, you may just as well use sugar, or artificial stuff, because it's all pretty much unhealthy for you.