Week Long Water Fast - Good idea or bad idea?

Options
Hi folks,

Just wondered if any of you might have water fasted in the past and if so, how was it for you? Was it worth it?

I'm considering going on a week long water fast to help me detox my body and hopefully shed some excess water weight.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Where you only drink water, for a week? Sounds insane and harmful.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one, and I am not a health professional by any measure. But I would say this given my (limited) knowledge, it might be a good idea to get the number on the scale down. HOWEVER, it will not be good for your overall health. There is also no real proof detoxing has any effect on our bodies at all: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4576574.stm
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

Just wondered if any of you might have water fasted in the past and if so, how was it for you? Was it worth it?

I'm considering going on a week long water fast to help me detox my body and hopefully shed some excess water weight.

Advice?
    Eat food.

Seriously, your body is equipped to get rid of waste on its own, such as when you poop and pee. Any amount of scale weight that you lose will come back the moment you eat regular food.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Why? Do you feel it's only doing you good if you suffer?

Your liver and kidneys probably work just fine as it is. No "detox" diet is going to shift anything from your body you wouldn't normally get rid off.

And who cares about losing water weight? It fluctuates anyway. Focus on losing FAT.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    omg this is terrible... when you don't eat your body pumps off extra hormones and goes into starvation mode thus contributing to weight gain.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    BAD IDEA! Your body needs nutrients and energy. You are not a shaman. You should not do this.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyyd9xVq551rn95k2o1_500.gif

Water fasts should honestly be only for religious reasons. They provide you no other benefit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If your only reason for fasting is weight loss, then I say bad idea.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    this is such a insane idea. just burn more calories than you take in on a daily basis. work out a little. you will lose weight.

why would you want to fast on water for a week? you might lose a little weight (and maybe end up in the hospital), but what happens when your fast is over? If you don't live a healthy and active lifestyle, you will gain everything back...plus a little extra.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, this is probably not a good idea. Would you run your car without gasoline for a week?

On second thought, try running your car without gas for a week. After pushing it around town for a week you will lose weight. But definitely keep eating food. Do it smartly - maintain a well-proportioned diet, don't drink your calories, stick primarily with plant fats instead of animal fats, and don't let your blood sugar spike or drop too much.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Talk to a health professional before doing something like this!
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That just sounds terrible :frown:
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I mean, waters like really good for you...I don't see a problem here. Let me know how it goes!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Have you ever had to fast for a medical test? Even an 18 hour fast is pretty horrible. You will be fatigued, hungry and irritable. And, assuming that your TDEE is around 2000/day, the best case scenario is that you lose 4 lbs of fat. In reality, it would be some fat and some muscle. So not worth it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I did a water fast for about an hour and a half and it was terrible.
  • MegMorgan182
    MegMorgan182 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you want to starve yourself but do a somewhat more realistic "fast" get a juicer and do some juicing diets you will still be detoxing but your body will at least get some of the nutrients it requires. But your body will go into starvation move with a dramatic cut in calories and tend to hold on to fat.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Hi folks,

It can lead to Hyponatremia - which is excessive water intake which results in brain damage.

Also why? What exactly do you want to gain from this?

I am guessing your looking for a quick fix. Your health is not a quick fix. Health comes from day in day out moment by moment decisions of making correct food choices and excersize.

If you really want to "detox" then plan a diet of whole foods, plenty of fruit and veg, lean meat etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    omg this is terrible... when you don't eat your body pumps off extra hormones and goes into starvation mode thus contributing to weight gain.

It makes you get fatter by having nothing but water?
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you ever fasted for say three full days? Two?

7 days of fasting takes a tremendous amount of will power and patience, or being stuck on a deserted island. I'm not saying that you CAN'T do it...no, that is absolutely what I'm saying.

But try. What's the worse that can happen?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I fast regularly for spirit, mind, and body. I did a 28 day water-only fast in my mid 20's that cured my chronic eczema rashes, which haven't returned since. There are a lot of health benefits to fasting, as well as a plethora of ignorance and misinformation.

This isn't the place to ask about fasting. Most people here haven't any clue whatsoever about the process, nor how the human body (positively) reacts during a proper fast. For most fasting=starvation, and they couldn't tell you the difference between the two. There are thankfully a lot of resources on the web that are pro-fasting for health on all levels, and I'd recommend you search them out. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.