gyms with bumper weights, price a month?

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
How much do you pay to go to the gym? It seems like most people pay about 200 dollars a month here if the place has bumper weights...is it just me or does that sound kind of outrageous?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My university has them. I think they charge non-students $80 a month.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The training facility that I am trying out this week is around $200 too. The only places I have seen bumper weights have been more specialized training facilities rather than a commercial gym.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    what? my gym is $30 per month and they have bumper weights
  • ChaseMeier
    ChaseMeier Posts: 52
    Options
    Yeah, my gym has bumper weights too and it's only $30/mo
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How much do you pay to go to the gym? It seems like most people pay about 200 dollars a month here if the place has bumper weights...is it just me or does that sound kind of outrageous?

it's $250 a month here but I think it's also some kind of warehouse because there's a lot of weird shelving units and wooden boxes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    $27 a month here. Bumper plates, power rack, monolift, competition bench setup, deadlift platform, etc. It's pretty sweet. My health insurance covers $12.50 a month of that too.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    $20 - 30 a month at my gym. Have all the "stuffs". $20 if you pay a year in advance. $30 if you pay electronically each month. $45 cash monthly price.

$200 a MONTH? EGADS !
  • micheleb15
    Options
    Wow, I wish there were places around here that cheap. I've only seen Crossfit boxes and specialty training facilities have them around here.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    $27 a month here. Bumper plates, power rack, monolift, competition bench setup, deadlift platform, etc. It's pretty sweet. My health insurance covers $12.50 a month of that too.
    wait...what? How do you get health insurance to cover it?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Wow, I wish there were places around here that cheap. I've only seen Crossfit boxes and specialty training facilities have them around here.
    Exactly my problem. And the other generic non weight gyms will help you and show you how to do everything...the crossfit center doesn't, you have to pay for a personal trainer to show you around. Crazyness.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    Our gym has it and it's $80 a month for my husband and I both to go there, they also offer free advice from the staff trainers there whenever you need it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I belong to the local Jewish Community Center here and they have bumper plates, power rack, dead lift platform, etc. It's $93 per month for a family membership which includes a whole bunch of other awesome stuff.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to ask...What's a "bumper weight"?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am payin $25 a month for my gym....... has bumper weights, squat racks (both smith and free)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Where the heck do you live that gyms charge $200?? That's just nuts.

Gold's Gym: $25 a month, and that's my son's childcare included.
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to ask...What's a "bumper weight"?

Specially made weights that can be safely dropped.

In Powerlifting, certain lifts like deadlifts, cleans, jerks, etc... are "one-way" lifts. You lift the weight, then you drop it. If you try to set it down gently you end up hurting yourself. Bumper weights are made so that the weight, the floor, and the bar won't get damaged in these circumstances.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    wait...what? How do you get health insurance to cover it?

It's one of the "Wellness" incentives they offer. If you attend a gym something like 120 days in a year, you get $150 off the dues. They give you money for doing things like blood panels and stuff too. And $600 if you don't smoke. They keep expanding it yearly, it's neat.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    Where the heck do you live that gyms charge $200?? That's just nuts.

Gold's Gym: $25 a month, and that's my son's childcare included.

I live in DC and people pay it all the time. My Gold's membership is $40 but we don't have bumper weights.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Whoa!! I guess people have their reasons why they need and can pay that much for the gym, and I'm just uninformed about that (and probably they pay less in other areas of life to make up for it because it is a priority for them). But, no way would I ever pay that much just to go to the gym. Is personal training included in the price? Then it makes more sense, but still not something I could ever see paying long term. I'll just go to an "inferior" gym that's good enough for me. I think I pay about $25 a month, but no bumper weights. Price and location are important factors in a gym as well. I could probably even pay less for another gym in the area. But, with this gym I get weights and regular yoga classes that are included (those can get expensive otherwise).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Exactly my problem. And the other generic non weight gyms will help you and show you how to do everything...the crossfit center doesn't, you have to pay for a personal trainer to show you around. Crazyness.

The only place here that has them are the crossfit boxes.