New to bicycling -- sore sit bones

Options
2»

Replies

• shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My daughter rides a lot (she's doing a tri this weekend).

Make sure you are using a seat made for women, shorts with padding, and other than that, you should get used ti it.

As my daughter says, if your cooch is falling asleep, you've got the wrong seat.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I ride a lot but my "sit bones" are the last thing to bother me; hands and feet fall asleep long before anything else hurts. One thing that helps the problem is to change up how you are sitting every 5 or so minutes. Lean forward on your handlebars, sit upright, sit less upright -- change where the pressure is. That works for hands too -- especially if you have handlebars where there is more than one position. Good bike shorts help too. Pros and cons on bike seat padding -- they also make seats specifically for women where there is a cutout in the center to relieve pressure in the crotch, and are wider to match up with women's pelvic bones. I've been through a dozen seats before finding one pretty comfortable.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    2 things - Have your bike fitted to you @ a bike shop. Also, get some biking shorts with chamois in them.

This! Sore sit bones have been the story of my life. I'm not exactly a beginner but peeps around here are hard core so I consider myself a newb. I'm finally getting a 3-D bike fit. It's not cheap but everyone tells me this is the way to go. If you have any medical conditions you may qualify for a medical bike fit which is covered by some insurance plans. When I first got my bike I had a run-of-the-mill bike fit but it wasn't enough for my issues. I do think I need a new seat at the very least. I do wear pretty good quality chamois shorts. I'm trying to work up to 40 miles/ride and am at 15-20 right now but have trouble riding every day because of the sore sit bones. Can't wait to see what happens at the bike fit and am looking for some relief because I love riding! Good luck to you and keep on riding :)!
  • samcat2000
    Options
    Forgot to add that my bike fit is going to be done at a sports medicine clinic not the specialized bike shop where I bought the bike.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yep, sit bone soreness goes away in time. BUT if you're going numb anywhere, the seat and/or frame is a bad match. Hopefully they didn't weld in the handlebars if this is a result of leaning in too far all the time because raising them can help.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I LOVE riding my bicycle!!!! Went 37.2 miles yesterday-honest! I haven't ridden in a while and my sit bones were dyin' after about 5 miles. I did change the seat from a solid one to one with an open middle, so I don't get the lady bits chafed any more. If you are too sore, maybe ride every other day??? Some folks seem to feel better eventually-less sore, get used to it-and some never seem to. Hubs just keeps changing his position on the bike but never really gets over a bit of soreness. He used to ride 100+ miles a week
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Pointing the seat down works for me with the numbness. One of my books mentioned if your sit bones are sore try sitting back on the wide part of the seat more. Your seat may not be set front to back correctly.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have that problem as well, and also (stop reading now if you are uncomfy with TMI) my vag falls asleep!! I am assuming it is all the weight probably cutting of ciculation down there, but I dont know anyone else with that problem.

I have the same problem with my girly parts! And I'm sure 'm developing calluses where I don't want them! I'm in the market for a whole new bike, as I bike to work 3-4 days per week, 7 km each way, and do more on weekends.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cycling shorts help so much. and they have the kind that look like regular shorts.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone. Took a couple days off and am going for another ride today. We'll see how it goes!
  • MiawMiawMiaw
    MiawMiawMiaw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem here. I got some really padded cycle shorts (although lycra and I are not friends) and a gel padded seat. Still needed to give my bum a rest every now and then though.
  • samcat2000
    Options
    Forgot to add that my bike fit is going to be done at a sports medicine clinic not the specialized bike shop where I bought the bike.

UPDATE ON THE BIKE FIT!! I got my bike back on July 18 after I put it in the shop to follow the recommendations that came out of the fit. I got a new saddle (the saddle that I had did not fit my sit bones AT ALL), handlebars (they were way too wide for my build), and new pedals. I rode 2.5 hours today and didn't feel a thing in the sit bone area. FINALLY! (The fixes weren't exactly cheap but at last I'm 100% happy out there on the road :bigsmile: :drinker: .)
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post a new topic, but I couldn't find the "New Topic" button....so hopefully, someone will reply to my post!

I've been riding my stationary bike for about 2 weeks now. When I first began, I rode 10 miles a day, and it felt great, so I increased to 20 miles. Besides getting the usual sore ischial tuberosities (sit bones), everything has been feeling great. I probably should have increased my mileage more gradually, but I'm stubborn, and tend to just work through pain. Last night, I did 24.5 miles, because suddenly, I didn't have any pain in my sit bones at all, and I felt great afterwards. However, now, this morning, I'm noticing that my left ischial tuberosity has some swelling under the skin, about the size of an apricot, and it's painful. I'm a retired RN, and it feels to me like it's a bursitis-type inflammation. There is no redness, irritation, or break in the skin, so I'm sure it's not an abscess or anything like that. I've been icing it, and it seems to have gone down a bit, but it's still painful. Any of you bicyclers out there have any experiences with ischial tuberosity bursitis? I'm thinking I need to lay of cycling for at least a few days....I ordered some padded bike shorts, but other than icing and rest, what have you done? I'm not one to run to the doctor for every little thing, and use a lot of alternative methods of healing/medicine. I'm just looking for feedback from experienced bikers. :)
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Not a clue. But under the main community menu if you click on one of the headings on the left like fitness and exercise, the new topic button will then be in the upper right. Good luck.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi eating4me---I bike all the time, but usually outside on my road bike or I take my road bike inside and hook it up to a trainer during the winter. I know that I used to get sore before I got a saddle that actually fit me. I'm not sure if a stationary bike has the option to change out the seat ("saddle") but if it does I would highly recommend that you go into a local specialty bike shop and get measured. Yes, they measure your butt (they call it measuring the "sit bones") but in my experience they're extremely professional about it. It made all the difference in the world for me! I no longer get sore, even on long (50 mile, and training for 100 mile) rides. The padded shorts should help as well....I don't own any, but most people that I know who bike long distances say they're essential so I'll probably get some soon. I agree with you that you should lay off of biking for a few days until the swelling goes down---and obviously if it doesn't get better, a trip to the doctor may be in order. I hope this helps somewhat!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Get a proper seat for the size of your seat bones, and learn posture / keeping out of the saddle.

Big and cushy is the opposite of good.