1200 Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 109 pounds, so you're right, 110 is a healthy weight for you.

:huh: So 138 lbs. is NOT healthy for her??

Weight for small, medium and large frame healthy for 5'1" women. 138lbs is acceptable for a larger frame, but barely and she does not look large frame to me.

106-118 115-129 125-140

You can tell a person's frame by a head shot? Ooookaaaay. :huh:
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    the mistake is the 1200 Cals approach

cutting calories to the absolute minimun may sound reasonable in the first place but what happens that you put your body under stress. Stress releases cortisol which is the enemy of weightloss (google it if you don't believe me)
    Weight loss on starvation and overly exercising won't do anything as your body adapts to this new (unhealthy) diet/lack of energy and becomes more efficent in fuelling itself and wathnot.
    When you start eating like a normal person again you will experience the jojo effect, your weight will go up in weeks to the old status, as the body soakes the stuff in like a sponge.

be healthy and try to go 300/350 Cals uder maintenace (in your case probably to 1600 or 1700) and you will see that you will lose weight, not starve and improve your stamina/strenght whatever you're doing
    combine that with a high protein, low carb diet and you will also experience less frequent huger attacks and such

it may take a week or 2 more but that will make sure you keep the weight down permanently, reduces the risk of malnutrition and you won't starve to death aka better wuality of life
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight I read online that for people who are very obese it is ok to cut your calories to 800. I am 5'3 and I weighed 180-190 pounds, I cut down to 800 and lost twenty pounds, then I got pregnant and gained that twenty plus eighteen more back. After my second baby was born I tried to cut back down to 800 and when I stopped getting results (and you will reach that point) I realized I couldnt go lower than 800, long story short(ish) It has taken me months to get back on track all because I went too far. I now eat 1450 calories a day, I work out for an hour a day six days a week and after 2 or 3 months of being stuck at 150 pounds I am losing again, reaching a new low for me 147 lbs.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you cut down to 800 and then stall again? Do you cut to 600 or 400? Does it not seem more logical to start higher and, if needed, cut gradually from there, as opposed to starting in the basement and trying to dig further down?

I'm 5'3" (so not a whole lot taller than you) And I lost all the weight on my ticker in under 2 months eating 1625-1725 calories. I bumped up to 1825 this week, and hopefully that'll work out. If, within a month, it proves to be too much/I'm stalled I have so much room to adjust my calories and tweak things. You're not leaving yourself any room for tweaks.

Sidenote: Being short doesn't mean you have to eat little. I'm short and I eat ALL the food. Nom.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was netting 700 or less a day at one point - although at the time I didn't realize what it was called. Anyway, lost 50 pounds pretty quickly, then as soon as I couldn't keep up the 12+ hours of exercise a week my body started to gain the weight back, even eating at a deficit. It ruined my metabolism, I lost muscle instead of fat and it has been very difficult since to lose any of this weight.

Listen to others and take the slow road. If you are netting 1200 a day and working out, you are proably eating too little. My BMR at 4'11 is 1600 cals a day.

This !!!!!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you cut down to 800 and then stall again? Do you cut to 600 or 400? Does it not seem more logical to start higher and, if needed, cut gradually from there, as opposed to starting in the basement and trying to dig further down?

I'm 5'3" (so not a whole lot taller than you) And I lost all the weight on my ticker in under 2 months eating 1625-1725 calories. I bumped up to 1825 this week, and hopefully that'll work out. If, within a month, it proves to be too much/I'm stalled I have so much room to adjust my calories and tweak things. You're not leaving yourself any room for tweaks.

Sidenote: Being short doesn't mean you have to eat little. I'm short and I eat ALL the food. Nom.

I like your thinking.
  • blondejester
    Options
    i really do believe that's too little, how are you not hungry!? if it's working for you, then good on you but don't be surprised if you do gain weight when you eat more.
  • mozhy_rj
    mozhy_rj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can go with daily goal of 1000 calories and try to cut some carbohydrates it works (it worked for me) :)
  • MerdiJune
    MerdiJune Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 109 pounds, so you're right, 110 is a healthy weight for you.

:huh: So 138 lbs. is NOT healthy for her??

Weight for small, medium and large frame healthy for 5'1" women. 138lbs is acceptable for a larger frame, but barely and she does not look large frame to me.

106-118 115-129 125-140

You can tell a person's frame by a head shot? Ooookaaaay. :huh:

I actually do have a pretty small frame. I used to weigh about 110, but I was put on Zoloft, and that caused my weight to sky-rocket. Been trying to get it to come off for a while.