I'm worried about my calorie intake involving nuts

Options
Currently I'm snacking on: Diamond of California - Shelled Walnuts 30 g,Imperial Nuts - Roasted Party Peanuts Salted, 1 oz ,Planters - Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix 9.75 oz Can, 1 oz (28g) about 30 whole nuts and finally, Great Value - Cashews Deluxe - Roasted & Salted With Sea Salt, 1/4 cup (1oz or 28g) aprox. 21 nuts... .... Depending on my daily calorie intake needs, I always measure 1/4 cup each time I eat them.

However, I just learned that 1 oz does not convert directly into cup measurements. Therefore I am worried about how many calories I am really getting. Is there any information out there that can help me get an accurate calorie estimate? Every calorie counts in my mind so I don't want to overeat my goal.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh your nuts. Proceed accordingly.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    For any non-liquid food, weight is MUCH more accurate than volume. This goes for cooking too (packing flour into a cup loosely or firmly ends up with a big difference in actual amount.)

So, get a kitchen scale! I like digital ones the best because it is easier to see and be accurate. Find one that can do grams (labels will always have the grams per serving.) Amazon has a lot for the 15-25$ range. Any kitchen store would have them as well. I could only find a non-digital one at Walmart, but the grams were the secondary measure so it was difficult to read accurately.

This is how I measure everything. For cereal I put the bowl on, tare it, then pour to x grams to get one serving. When I add nuts to oatmeal it's the same thing. If I make a sandwich I put the bread on, tare it, then add my cheese slices until I hit x grams (I buy blocks of cheese so it's not pre-sliced.)

So if you're really concerned about accuracy, I think the cost is worth it.
  • maguschak
    maguschak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts are the best according to what I've read in The Wheat Belly and The 100 by Jorge Cruise. You should avoid the roasted and salteed varieties. I've tried raw cashews and raw almonds and theya re great!
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to acquire a scale as many have suggested.

What I tend to do when I buy a bag of nuts is say I have 100gram bag I will split them into 4 rough portions so I know that they are roughly 25grams each. Its not perfect but I know its not gonna be to much of a difference either way.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Read the nutrition info per calories and portion size on the packaging....
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Weigh your nuts.

word.