Getting fed up

Options
I have been stuck in a plateau for 3 months now. I increased my exercise and no change. I read about not eating enough for your activity level so I increased my calories and started working out less. Still no change. I dropped the extra calories off again and am working out even harder but for a shorter amount of time and still no change. I don't know what to do! GRRR! I am tempted to just start pigging out on everything. Oh and my inches are not changing either. Any ideas?

Replies

• renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    bumping for you bc I have posted with the same problem... still looking for answers!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? What are you eating? How many calories?

A lot of times it is a matter that maybe you aren't logging your food correctly or over compensating exercise.
  • nofeardiver
    Options
    have you tried changing the actually exercises themselves, say instead of doing regular curls, do hammer curls, its still a curl but the dumbell is turned like a hammer. What is your exercise routine look like? My brother is pretty hardcore in the gym, has been for about 6 years straight, and he changes about ever 7-8 weeks to a totally different routine, he says that way it confuses the muscles. I know when i was working out constantly i would change about ever 6-8 weeks, and was always seeing results... Good luck either way. You may have tried these things, just one thing i thought of. Another thing i read in the jillian micheales book, was that everyone hits a plateu at some point maybe more than one. She said to keep at it and that it would pick back up, idk... Just another thought.... But good luck either way.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Try keeping all of your numbers out of the red and track your sodium.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    3 months and no change is discouraging for sure. (hugs) i can't really say. too many carbs? not enough carbs, fat? protein? what is your weight? maybe see the doctor hum i don't know i know when i stall out i just quite for a month and jump back in i'm down 164 pounds as of today so i know all about stalls but with out much detail i can't really give any advice.
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd let your body reset. Eliminate your calorie deficit and back off significantly on the exercise. Concentrate on just eating healthy without over-indulgence for about two weeks then start getting back after it.........
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for 45-60 minutes a day. I will jog and use elliptical or just jog. I've started running 5ks. Im working on speed right now.On days i dont work out my minimum calories is 1350. On days i work out i eat all my exercise calories except 200 to make up for anything i might have missed during the day. I was using weights but i stopped after two months because no change with that either. I have a sedentary job as a dental assistant but yet i am active at the gym so i dont know what to put my activity level at either.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sodium is something you may want to start tracking
  • maviolette
    maviolette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for 45-60 minutes a day. I will jog and use elliptical or just jog. I've started running 5ks. Im working on speed right now.On days i dont work out my minimum calories is 1350. On days i work out i eat all my exercise calories except 200 to make up for anything i might have missed during the day. I was using weights but i stopped after two months because no change with that either. I have a sedentary job as a dental assistant but yet i am active at the gym so i dont know what to put my activity level at either.

Wow you sound just like me. I've been stuck over a month now, same excercise and calorie intake as you. It's so frustrating.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Try working your calories up to maintenance (at + 50 calories per day) and holding there for 1-2 weeks, then dropping back down to 1350. Also, I would go back to weight lifting 3-4 times per week and cut back the cardio to 3-4 sessions of no more than 30 minutes.

Or, you could try zig zagging your calories. One day eat 1700, then next eat 1200, the next eat 1500, then 1200, then 1400, then 1200, then 1250 (or some such mix of levels).

Or you could try taking a zumba class, spinning or other class instead of the elliptical or jogging. Something different for your cardio.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your food diary. I think you are doing great with exercise and if you kept that ruitine the same and just concentrated on your diet you'd see a change. Try for a month to reduce the salt (in chips and processed foods), sugar (candy and processed foods, pop). Stick to lean protein, fruit and vegetables, and naturaly low fat dairy if you can tolerate it. Your doing well but when you hit a plateau it is time to re-evaluate. Keeping an accurate daily diet diary will show you the changes to make. I keep my set to add calcium, iron, vitamon C, fiber, salt, fat sugar. It keeps me focused on what I should be eating.