Having trouble drinking 8 glasses of water a day

Options

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Try drinking 2 cups before each meal and remember that a typical glass is sometimes larger than a cup or 250 ml. Try to measure it out that way. If you eat 3 meals a day and drink 2 glasses before each meal you'll easily get to six cups. Over the course of the evening make sure you drink two more and you're good to go!

An added plus is that it's easier to eat less at meal times when your stomach already has something to fill it up. It also digests food easier.
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Statistically your body can process up to 4 oz every ten minutes. Knowing this, 8 glasses a day is supposed to be the minimum. I have made it my goal to drink a good long drink of water about every 10-15 minutes and my pee is clear lol. But i used to have trouble drinking water too, I didnt like that it didnt have carbanation or flavor ect. So I found ways to work with it and now I actually perfer a big glass of cold water to a soda. Im amazed at saying that because two months ago i was drinking like a 2 liter every day thinking i was getting proper hydration. So some things I used to help convert toward water and away from other drinks is:

Crystal light- 10 calories in a pack and it has lots of flavors. I like the hawiian punch ones and theyre better then coolaid ect!
    Carbonated Falvored water- theyre like .69 cents, mainly water, and a awsome switch from soda because it tastes so similar.
    Propel Water- I love propels theyre 1 dollar each and very yummy and help keep your electolytes up too.

I also went to Ross and found a super neat super cute water bottle to help influence me and it really works cause its my favorite cup i have, and I will only drink water/crystal light in it. I normally drink about 5 of my 24oz bottles a day, and every other one is crystal light.

Ps. If you look at my food/excersize diary its pretty acurate to what a good diet is except the last two days cause its been in the 90-100's so ive kinda fallen a little without letting my calories go past 1300. :) good luck you can add me if you want.
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Water also helps your metabolism speed up which helps lose weight. it also helps all of your body function a lot better giving you more energy to do more which helps lose weight. I drink lots of water and even though im over weight, i feel healthy, am healthy, and can move constantly with the help of water. Its also been proven that 8 glasses a day keeps the doctor away because it boosts your immune system and detox's your body especially if you add a little lemon in your water...water does a lot for your body.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up. Then drink another right before you head out the door in the morning. It will kick start you thirst mechanism :-) If I do this I am thirsty all day and usually drink about 12-14 cups of water PLUS coffee and tea.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I make water my only beverage. I do occasionally drink tea and half fat free milk with dinner, but I drink water all the time. I do not function as well without it. Of course, it helps that I live in Texas and its HOT!
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    2 when you first wake up.
    1 @ morning tea.
    2 @ lunch time.
    1 @ afternoon tea
    2 @ tea time.
  • Kellyscupcake
    Kellyscupcake Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try using a straw...I get my water down so easy when I do
  • Nu_Journee
    Nu_Journee Posts: 29
    Options
    Here are some ideas I have used in the past:

#1 Drink a glass first thing in the morning when you wake up
    #2 Drink a glass before each meal
    #3 Buy a 64oz container, fill up in the am and drink from it all day.
    #4 Make sure you fill your water quota before drinking any other beverage like juice or soda
    #5 Tea counts so drink more green tea during your day.
    #6 If you limit or eliminate other drinks (juice, lemonades, soda) it becomes much easier.
  • SandyC04
    SandyC04 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful posts... I have my to do list... Going to get myself a spiffy new water bottle with a straw! Then I am going to start infusing the water... I think that might be a nice change from just water to have with meals! I love the mint in cucumber suggestion... sounds refreshing... Thinking of a blueberry and vanilla too... While shopping for my new water bottle I think I will look for an container to brew some iced herb tea... I have been using herb tea to curb my sweet craving at night never considered doing it during the day for water consumption! Love this group...
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For awhile I had to set a reminder on my phone. I also made myself take a big gulp every time I wanted to send a text or an email. Also, I asked my students to hassle me about it--they are middle schoolers so they love any chance THEY get to tell ME to do something. I felt like I was hazing in a fraternity--every time I turned around some kid was shouting "Drink!" at me :wink: :drinker:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum. It makes me thirsty.
  • BrigitteBrais
    Options
    I'm also having trouble drinking 8 glasses of water . I'm lucky if I drink 2. Practically never thursty. The most I've ever done is four, and that is not often.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You might try buying a water bottle with a diffuser. You can put different fruits and veggies in to flavour the water. Currently I put lemon, mint, ginger and cucumber as it is suppose to help with bloating and it doesn't taste bad either.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I can't help but laugh at how the health industry is trolling the general public. Drink 8 glasses of water a day? Yeah, it works but do you really want to spend the entire day in the bathroom over 10 extra calories burned in a day? How about eating 6 times a day? Yeah, if you love spending every other hour planning and thinking about your next meal.
  • beckyhaa
    beckyhaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else about drinking with a straw - you can be walking around, etc. I try to drink at least 8 oz while I'm drying my hair in the morning.
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Keep a bottle of water on you at all times, fill it up when it empties even if your not thirsty. You will find yourself drinking more water.
  • mkocol
    mkocol Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What I did when I had that same problem was bought myself a fruit infusion pitcher. I would stuff it with plenty of lemons and sometimes would even drink 2-3 pitchers a day. That would make it about 15 glasses, give or take.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ly6anbmerl1r4bv9o.gif

Oh, the awesome water-drinking myth rears its head again.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 glass of water w/ lemon first thing in the morning.

When we go out to breakfast, I ask for water. Usually it is 16 oz glass, but I put lemon slices in it.

Another trick I have is to put stevia in it and then drink it.

I drink 9-10 glasses of water a day, if my husband and I are playing cards, I have my water glass with me.
    When I am doing my housework, I have my water glass with me.

Hope this helps.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I only drink to my thirst. My urine is either pale yellow or clear by the end of the day. If I get to 5 cups, I'm lucky. Only time I really go over is if it's hot outside.