5K to 10K

Options
For those who run 10K's or longer, at what point did you start training for 10K's? Waist just when you felt ready or did you run 5K's for a period of time?

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of training to officially run my first 5k when I decided to train for a half marathon. Keep in mind it wasn't completely out of the blue. I had only been running for a few months but my mileage was up to 20 a week with an 8 mile long run. I had to choose between a 10k and a half marathon (races were the same weekend so I couldn't do both) so I chose the half because I had friends doing it.

Turns out half marathons are my favorite distance, I've done 2 so far with another planned in October. And I finally did my first 10k last week. I've been running since April of 2012 and the first half was 6 months later.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I was in the middle of training to officially run my first 5k when I decided to train for a half marathon. Keep in mind it wasn't completely out of the blue. I had only been running for a few months but my mileage was up to 20 a week with an 8 mile long run. I had to choose between a 10k and a half marathon (races were the same weekend so I couldn't do both) so I chose the half because I had friends doing it.

Turns out half marathons are my favorite distance, I've done 2 so far with another planned in October. And I finally did my first 10k last week. I've been running since April of 2012 and the first half was 6 months later.

Thank you for sharing!!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I never really trained for a 10K. I ran 5K's for about 7 months before I started training for my first half-marathon. During those 7 months, I ran a 5-mile race for Thanksgiving and ran a 10K race in May without training anything beyond 3 miles.

Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i jumped to 10k after only doing 2 5ks...It's really all about finding the right pace and going up in distance gradually when you train. Wasnt half as difficult as i thought it would be. Best of luck
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    Thanks! I've never done more than a 3 mile race 'back in the day' when I ran cross country in high school. Maybe I'll just start picking up the pace/distance of my runs and see what happens.