Any beginner womens weight training guide out there?

Options
OK - So I have now upped my calorie intake as suggested. I went from 1200 to 1400 (I also got a bullocking on my previous post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1031266-what-am-i-doing-wrong and reading countless articles that say the same).

They all say the same thing - give it time!! My body is so accustomed to storing fat that it now needs to understand that the up in calories is actually a good thing and hopefully start losing weight!!

So I'm going to do just that - not go near a scale for 3 weeks while my body gets used to the increase in calories :(

But now I also want to change up my exercise routine -its quite cardio intensive and I want to keep a little bit of that (I like running and spinning cause I zone out and it ends up relaxing me). But I also now want to increase weight training.

Does anyone have a womens beginners weight training guide - that gives the basics
I would ideally like the following
1. A one month plan
2. Has 5 -7 basic exercises that I can actually master over than period - and continuously increase on

Let me know - links appreciated!!

N.

Replies

• mingecrackers
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is pretty good :)
  • anupama1234
    Options
    daily 2 hrs of workout .one hour of walking n 1hr of gym...I do 30 min cardio running on treadmill, elliptical trainer..dumbell 3kg in one hand ...squarts n lunges...circuit, n some floor exercises... lost 10 kgs in 3 months itself, n of course MFP food diary daily. for motivation keep reading the blogs on mfp...all d best
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As someone who's never been overweight, I think it is a bad idea not to weigh oneself at least once a week. If what you're doing is ineffective you'll be three weeks further behind.

I also disagree with the idea of automatically raising one's calories. If you haven't been losing weight it's more likely that you're eating too much and probably more than 1200 calories. A strength training program is a good part of a fitness program, but a woman starting out does not require massive amounts of extra calories. If you're hungry, eat a little more, but be conservative.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Guides are great but I'd suggest meeting with a personal trainer as well. Strength training can be extremely intimidating and having incorrect form can often do more harm than good.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is pretty good :)

^^ This

And 3 weeks is not long enough. With weight training, there is every chance you will gain in that time from water retention and muscle repair. THAT SAID... this is only my experience. I have no weight to lose and am now on stage 6 of NROLFW. I have gained 2-3 kg in the course of the program, but I cut my cardio, and upped cals by around 300 per day. My weight has gone up..... but I LOVE how I look in the mirror
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump i've been meaning to ask the same! I'll check this reccomendation out.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You might start with body weight exercises. Nerd Fitness has a beginners guide. You increase by increasing your repetitions and modifying the exercises to make them more difficult.

If you are going to commit to heavy lifting, then I would recommend you read New Rules of Lifting for Women. But lifting is something you will keep doing, not something you should just do for 1 month and then quit. There are other beginning strength programs that are more simple than New Rules, but that book has a lot of good information for women. As someone else mentioned, proper form is very important.
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For 2 decades, I had been on starvation mode, eating 1200 cal or less a day. I joined MFP last year around October when I was 62 kg. In January, I was advised to eat more (1600 cal). I did and I gained 3 kg. I am not happy about it but I wasn’t exercising much neither, because I injured my neck and needed to recover for 2 months. Since March, I started running or walking 5x a week and burn from 300 to 1000 cal a day. I didn’t lose a gram. Beginning June, I listened advises again and started strength training, calisthenics, circuit training along with 15km running once a week. It is too early to say I have lost weight, but I feel firm and it feels great. I will be interested to read this thread.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, Starting Strength, NROL, and Wendler.

If you lack equipment, check out Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym

There is no reason you can't do the same exercises as a guy. I know I wish I'd started lifting at my heaviest rather than later.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i bought the book new rules of lifting for woman and have been doing it for 6 weeks now and LOVE it... i am seeing changes in my body and for the first time in about 2 months i am going to have a lose in weight again. i have been eating between 1400-1600 calories. the basics are all in the program, deadlifts, step ups, squats and lunges i was doing so well on it my husband bought the mens book and he has been doing P90 X for the last year and he loves it.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is a 12 week program, but I just learned about this and am starting on Monday! You can 'google' modifications for most of the exercises if you don't have access to gym equipment. Best wishes!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you'll find a 30 day beginner's weight lifting program for women. Most lifting programs go well beyond 30 days. The other thing is that you really don't NEED a women's specific program. If you want one, that's a different story...not necessary, though.

All that stuff aside--there have been a number of great beginner's programs mentioned already in the thread: New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, All Pro...

You might also check out Nia Shanks' site--she's got a bunch of different programs you could do. They are all aimed at women and I believe are very good for beginners as well.
  • holdermanstreet
    Options
    What is the name of the book? I have been looking for something I can follow.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    As someone who's never been overweight, I think it is a bad idea not to weigh oneself at least once a week. If what you're doing is ineffective you'll be three weeks further behind.

I also disagree with the idea of automatically raising one's calories. If you haven't been losing weight it's more likely that you're eating too much and probably more than 1200 calories. A strength training program is a good part of a fitness program, but a woman starting out does not require massive amounts of extra calories. If you're hungry, eat a little more, but be conservative.

I don't understand why you're always trying to advise people who are looking to lose weight and strength train when you say repeatedly that you've never been overweight. From your previous posts all over various lifting threads here, it's pretty clear you aren't experienced in strength training, either....?
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Bump for later! Thank you for asking I've been meaning to ask this for so long xxx
  • nehalsd
    nehalsd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies - these suggestions are awesome!!
  • nehalsd
    nehalsd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im going to start with Jamie - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html and will read the NRFWL laters
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you're always trying to advise people who are looking to lose weight and strength train when you say repeatedly that you've never been overweight. From your previous posts all over various lifting threads here, it's pretty clear you aren't experienced in strength training, either....?

I'm trying to give my perspective. First, I don't have the experience of having been 200 pounds; second, the fact that I have maintained my weight is meaningful. I am knowledgeable about strength training; I may have a different view than you do. Some of my advice is directed at women with specific goals. I keep seeing others repeat the same old answers that in my view and experience are not true.

Many people do find it helpful to hear from someone who had figured out how to maintain her weight. I'm also short and petite and many times the advice provided in the forum is not relevant, in fact ,it would cause women like me to gain weight.