gluten free

Options
amieleighmac84
amieleighmac84 Posts: 40 Member
Anyone have any good gluten free side dish recipes???

Replies

• StarrTrisha
    StarrTrisha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I have celiacs disease so I can't eat gluten at all and I find that all of my side dishes tend to be veggies or fruits! Is there a certain type of side dish you'd like? Maybe I can help!
  • amieleighmac84
    Options
    I just want some fun ways to prepare veggies!!! Food can get so boring!!! Last night I had a zucchini chile cheddar mash which was a nice way to mix things up!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Now that it's summer and veggies and fruits are abundant this is easy! Any salad, any veggie...

Lately one of my faves is Mozzarella, Basil and Tomato Salad with a Balsamic Drizzle. YUM

But I'm a big veggie freak, if you can roast it, I eat it. Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Squash, Broccoli, etc.

I don't eat many potatoes. I just don't crave them and can't see wasting the calories on them.
  • katiebenson12
    katiebenson12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I made quesadillas with flour tortillas, but I'm sure you could substitute corn tortillas. Here is what I did. I hope it helps. :)

Spinach/Mozzarella Cheese Quesadilla
    2 wheat tortillas
    1/4 cup of low fat mozzarella shredded cheese
    1 cup of raw spinach
    It is 227 calories. :)

Put cheese and spinach between the 2 tortillas and cook until cheese is melted and spinach is cooked. If you wanted to add more flavor you could add salsa to the top or between the 2 tortillas.
  • amieleighmac84
    Options
    I made quesadillas with flour tortillas, but I'm sure you could substitute corn tortillas. Here is what I did. I hope it helps. :)

Spinach/Mozzarella Cheese Quesadilla
    2 wheat tortillas
    1/4 cup of low fat mozzarella shredded cheese
    1 cup of raw spinach
    It is 227 calories. :)

Put cheese and spinach between the 2 tortillas and cook until cheese is melted and spinach is cooked. If you wanted to add more flavor you could add salsa to the top or between the 2 tortillas.

This sounds amazing!!! Thanks!!!
  • StarrTrisha
    StarrTrisha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's a few that I've tried. I had to look up the recipes for ya!

Roasted Carrots
    Cut 8 carrots into 1-inch sticks. Toss with 1 chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon walnut oil, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, and salt to taste on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees F, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, soak 1/4 cup raisins in 1/4 cup water. Add the raisins and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to the carrots; stir and continue roasting, 10 more minutes. Toss with the juice of 1 lemon, some chopped cilantro and dill, and salt to taste.

Zucchini Fritters (of course we'd substitute the normal flour for your choice of gluten free flours)
    Grate 2 small zucchini into a colander in the sink; toss with 2 teaspoons salt and let sit 10 minutes. Squeeze out the liquid. Mix with 4 minced scallions, 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and dill, 1 beaten egg, 3/4 cup grated parmesan and 1/4 cup flour. Pan-fry spoonfuls of the mixture in olive oil, flattening with a spatula, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.

Also Another thing I like to do is make some fresh green beans (lightly steamed then cooked lightly on skillet) and mix with some small diced red or sweet potatoes! It's a different taste! If you use normal potatoes I'd highly recommend incorporating garlic!
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are many gluten free as well as wheat free breads on the market that can help you out. You should think about veggies for sure but also things like quinoa.
  • amieleighmac84
    Options
    Here's a few that I've tried. I had to look up the recipes for ya!

Roasted Carrots
    Cut 8 carrots into 1-inch sticks. Toss with 1 chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon walnut oil, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, and salt to taste on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees F, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, soak 1/4 cup raisins in 1/4 cup water. Add the raisins and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to the carrots; stir and continue roasting, 10 more minutes. Toss with the juice of 1 lemon, some chopped cilantro and dill, and salt to taste.

Zucchini Fritters (of course we'd substitute the normal flour for your choice of gluten free flours)
    Grate 2 small zucchini into a colander in the sink; toss with 2 teaspoons salt and let sit 10 minutes. Squeeze out the liquid. Mix with 4 minced scallions, 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and dill, 1 beaten egg, 3/4 cup grated parmesan and 1/4 cup flour. Pan-fry spoonfuls of the mixture in olive oil, flattening with a spatula, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.

Also Another thing I like to do is make some fresh green beans (lightly steamed then cooked lightly on skillet) and mix with some small diced red or sweet potatoes! It's a different taste! If you use normal potatoes I'd highly recommend incorporating garlic!

Yum!!!!! Now I am hungry and it is only 9:00am!!!! Thanks! :)
  • LaurenCatherineFoley
    Options
    Creamed spinach ... yummy!

Something like this:

http://www.onceuponaplate1.com/2012/01/healthy-spicy-spinach-dip-with-pine.html

Season to taste - less spicy - or much more garlicky!

I make it with yoghurt. I'm lactose intolerant but yoghurt is my good friend and keeps the calories down. Feta also good for taste.

Pine nuts tend to be expensive. In Australia, I buy a pine nut mix (Lucky's) ... pine nut, pepitas, and sunflower seeds ... which is much more reasonable.

You could put the dip into a corn tortilla shell (GF). This is a great tip (can use for many dips):
    http://lifehacker.com/5885277/make-your-own-taco-bowls-by-flipping-over-a-muffin-tin

Best with Chicken!

Also, a new one for me:

http://localfoods.about.com/od/salads/r/Classic-Tabouli-Salad.htm

Just replace bulgar with quinoa (GF)! YUM!

I recently put artichoke hearts (tinned and drained - n.b. squeeze to death) and chickpeas into recipe. Baby capers too. And some sun-dried tomatoes too if calories allow. My husband LOVED it and it we were FULL. Delicious.

I served it with salmon.

Since I started cooking for two I pick an ingredient I want to eat this week and then research recipes online and end up finding a few new dishes that way. I think if you just look up 'sides' you could get a little lost. Think ... mmmmnnnn pumpkin / rocket / beetroot / whatever and see where they lead you.

Best of luck :o)