Discouraged by tandem dieting

Options
Okay. Here is my struggle. My husband and I are on our 3rd week of working the MFP program and so far he has lost 14lb. and I have lost 7. Week two we cheated some and felt physically horrible. He still lost but I gained a pound back (I had lost b to begin with.) We are hitting our goals but it feels like torture some days. I do the counting of calories and the planning of meals and snacks because the hubby hates that part. We are both exercising and eating smaller more frequent meals to keep our metabolism going as well.

Here’s the thing; if it doesn’t become easier I am afraid my husband will quit. We are both super unhealthy for our sizes and we can’t afford not to be healthier. He hates that right now our lives revolve around food and that we have to constantly worry about what we can have and what not. I am running out of healthy meals to plan; snacks are even becoming hard to come up with. I feel frustrated and stuck and I don’t want to give up! What advice can anyone give who might have been in this situation of tandem dieting? I am glad to do the work but I am struggling for a little support and better resources.

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    With regard to healthy meals, I make sure I add lots of veggies to anything (not deep fried ones). I won't buy crisps, biscuits etc as I will just eat them. I don't log religiously but I will come on here on say Monday morning and log for the last 3 or4 days. My lunches are largely the same every day.

I tend to go for nuts and fruit as snacks. And as long as I am in the right direction overall I don't stress for the sake of one meal or one day.

Hope this helps (feel free to have a look at my diary although it is all over the place so might not help too much)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    One idea is to try to come up with some favorite meals and snacks that you don't mind having more often. MFP lets you save them, so you don't even need to take a ton of time to log them. I generally have a variation of three things for breakfast every weekday - Yogurt, boiled egg, and fruit (generally banana). For lunch I typically have leftover dinner, and my wife and I have several "go-to" dinners that we make regularly - enough for variety, but we don't need to spend too much time planning a day.

Also, are you trying to meet all your macros (Carbs, Protein, Fat) in addition to calories, or just calories? At the beginning, you may want to consider just trying to stay under your calories, then add in the macros when you feel more comfortable. If you generally eat a balanced diet, the macros should be close anyway. When I started, I was watching just calories, and added in macros over time.
    And as long as I am in the right direction overall I don't stress for the sake of one meal or one day.

This is also great advice - don't sweat the small stuff - this is a lifestyle change, and it takes some getting used to.

Edit: add info about saved meals
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's like quitting smoking - you can't just make someone do it because they have to want it themselves. If they don't, then they will fail. As a guy, I can tell you that I can't deal with my pride being under a perceived attack, i.e., my significant other thinking I can't do something that she can (male pride thing). I know that's probably some bro psychology, but marriage codependency is the worst kind of codependency because you can't just walk away. You need to get him involved and challenge him. There is a plethora of healthy meals on the internets - try new things! Reward yourselves jointly for hitting goals.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's like quitting smoking - you can't just make someone do it because they have to want it themselves. If they don't, then they will fail. As a guy, I can tell you that I can't deal with my pride being under a perceived attack, i.e., my significant other thinking I can't do something that she can (male pride thing). I know that's probably some bro psychology, but marriage codependency is the worst kind of codependency because you can't just walk away. You need to get him involved and challenge him. There is a plethora of healthy meals on the internets - try new things! Reward yourselves jointly for hitting goals.

I never thought he might feel badly about that. We talked about it a little last night though. How could I challenge him without it being the naggy wife syndrome? He does want to lose the weight (he doggedly works out every day even if he gets home late without me saying anything ) and he was able to slip into a pair of slacks he hasn't worn in ages yesterday.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I do the counting of calories and the planning of meals and snacks because the hubby hates that part.
    I know it's not your fault and that it benefits both of you if he is healthier, but he is an adult (I assume) and it seems impractical and unsustainable that a lot of the work of his changing his own lifestyle should fall to you.
    It would be like saying he won't exercise unless you hold his hand during the workout. The best thing you can do is to find a way to motivate him so that he wants to do it even if it is annoying. I highly highly doubt that many people, even on this site, enjoy calorie counting in and of itself. But those who have succeeded in reaching their goals owe in no small part to having gone through the process and having held themselves (and no one else) accountable. I think that's the only way not to quit, because the process itself will not change to help you by becoming easier/faster.

ETA: One idea would to suggest the idea that the part he seems to like, exercising hard after work, won't get to show as much if the food part is sabotaging it. I'll bet that many people prefer one side of the in/out equation to the other depending on their interests and personalities, but they do the complementary side because it would be a shame for the other effort to completely go to waste.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are doing this together and have been for about 1 year. It does take a lot of planning but I am lucky because we do this together. I have found some recipes that we both love on skinnytaste.com like sausage stuffed zucchini boats and slow cooker santa fe chicken. I hope your husband stays on board with you. For me this has made all the difference. When we started this we said this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Best of luck to you.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There is no "bad" food, only excessive portions (of some foods). Plan meals with foods that you like to eat, but maybe modify the relative amounts of components - double or triple quantities of vegetable, halve or quarter starches (to like a single portion for each of you - generally between 1/2 to 1 cup), reduce fatty meats, keep lean meats probably the same or substitute beans/lentils/legumes/vegetable proteins for meat sometimes. Preferred methods of cooking (meat) would be baking, stewing/slow cooker, followed by broiling and then pan frying. I'd try to stay away from deep fat frying (unless you really like that - then limit frequency to once or twice a month and portions about 300-400 calories per serving). Avoid desert or select "healthy" items - fruits, yogurt, etc

note: (I use "meat" to include beef, pork, poultry, fish, etc)
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This may make your life easier...

Both of you know your calorie limit/ranges, right?

Now, at the end of each day, make your food choices for the next day. You can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. You should eat mostly healthy though or at least try. He can make his choices. You can make yours. He can put his food together, and you can do the same. That way you don't have to worry about prepping each day. Part of it is just messing with the numbers to reach your calorie goals.

Less stress for you and for him.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What I've found useful is making things you already like in a healthier way. Like pizza? Make tortilla or Flatout pizzas or quinoa pizza bites. Like Mexican? Bake shrimp/chicken in the oven with diced tomatoes, peppers, and onions with seasoning and eat in lettuce wraps. Like pasta? Give spaghetti squash a try.

There are so many more options besides just salads and grilled chilcken and veggies. Check out skinnytaste.com, Pinterest, and undressedskeleton.tumblr.com for ideas.
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    Diving into skinnytaste.com right now. There are loads of recipes! Looking over the options and ingredients, I can see that I am not flavoring my food enough. I can see where that would make it unsatisfying.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to eat healthy by cutting out all the things you like? Eating a lot of lean chicken and broccoli type eating? There aren't good foods and bad foods. There's eating too much food though. Prepare the foods you like and eat them in proper portions so you stay in budget. If you're trying to live on foods you don't enjoy it is going to make this really hard and boring.
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    We aren't giving ourselves bad and good foods at all. But there are foods that are triggers for me (bread mostly) and foods that the hubby knows aren't worth the calories. I think he struggles with the point of denying himself completely and then going overboard if he eats it at all. He wanted Chinese last night and I said let's have some and just count it. When he saw how little he could eat (it is super high cal) he was bummed about it and said never mind. I am worried that this kind of eating is going to make him quit. I can see where he is coming from because he is taking all the joy out of eating when he won't let himself have what he likes just in moderation.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying let him plan his meals on myfitnespal on the food logs so it is less stress for you.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is really easy to make a healthy stir fry. 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil, then stir fry some chicken or shrimp and whatever veggies you like- we usually use broccoli, carrots, onions, water chestnuts and baby corn (those 2 are usually canned, the rest fresh or frozen). I add Chinese 5 spice, grated ginger, garlic, a dash of sesame oil and Bragg's liquid aminos. We eat it with one serving of brown rice. Zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, cauliflower, peas, and lots of others are great in stir fries.

My husband and I are doing this together, also, and it does get tricky sometimes. It was really hard at first when his calorie allowance was much higher than mine. Even though we are doing this together, though, we are each only responsible for ourselves. Neither of us can do it for the other.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was doing the low calorie "diet" thing since Feb 2012. 20 lbs lost in 12 months. :( (yo-yoed a lot in that year)

Since joining MFP in April 2013, I have found what my calorie range is supposed to be and I have lost 12 lbs in the 9 weeks. I eat anything I want, just not as much of it. And yes, I make choices about food as I always try to get the most bang for my "calorie buck"

My fiance at first thought I was crazy for counting my calories and eating the way I do but he has seen the results. Now he is full on board. We both eat at or near our MFP goals set for our lives (sedentary - both have desk jobs) and try to get fitness in every day. Even a walk around the block at night just to help stay under the calorie goal. But the key is we eat what we want, so long as it fits into our goals. Just yesterday, we eat had a personal pan pizza from pizza hut. Normally, he would eat 1/2 of a large pepperoni pizza. Do we suffer? No because we worked to make sure the cals we eat fit our goal.

I dont know for you but my MFP goal is 1380 (500 cal a day deficit) and I try to burn about 500 extra cals a day. That puts me at 1880 cals a day. (Very close to my TDEE -20%) I can get a lot of great yummy tasty food in on for these cals.even fast food, take out, and m&m's AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Find out what your TDEE and eat 20% less than that (google tdee calculator). Or use the MFP method (with a reasonable 1 lb a week weight loss goal) and eat back your exercise cals. If you will do it this way, you and your husband wont suffer, unless either of you have a medical condition that would prevent you from losing weight this way.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I used to think like this. I would try to do the 'healthy' thing and eventually, I would burn out and give up. For nearly the last two years, I've had a bit of an attitude overhaul.

1. I don't care if I lose x number of pounds by x date. The moment the goal looked like it wasn't going to happen, I'd get discouraged.
    2. I stopped cooking 'healthy' meals. I didn't like the blandness of them and the prep time seemed too long compared to meals I enjoyed before. I now eat everything I love, just at smaller quantities with more fruits and vegetables thrown in.
    3. I no longer weigh myself everyday since I would get discouraged seeing what I knew were normal fluctuations. I now weigh once a month (unless I wake up one morning and feel particularly good).
    4. I'd never taken 'before' pictures before. Now that I have, I will periodically take new pics of myself and look at the comparisons. If I'm feeling a bit low about what I've been doing, seeing those puts me right back where I need to be.

Bottom line: my newest way of losing weight, for the first time in my life, doesn't feel like a chore. It just feels like life. I'm almost 40 lbs down with roughly 20 to go and I haven't lost steam yet.
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    What is a tdee? I don't know a lot of the MFP speak means.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    He hates that right now our lives revolve around food and that we have to constantly worry about what we can have and what not.

I would venture that your lives revolved around food before the diet as well, which was the root of the problem. It is understandable that he doesn't like being reminded regularly about the food-oriented aspect of life by taking something he enjoyed and turned it into something challenging.

It sounds like he hasn't really made the mental and emotional commitment, and that you have.
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    This is my first post so forgive any grammatical or procedural errors but after reading your post I wanted to respond. I'm a 42 year old, happily married, white male who works a pretty sedentary job and until recently didn't do much more than watch TV and read. March 15, this year I got on the scale and decided it was time to do something different. I weighed 248 pounds and couldn't do much of anything without losing my breath. I downloaded the MFP app on my iPhone and just started recording what I was eating. It took less than a week for me to cowboy up, look in the mirror and resolve to change. I did NOT change my diet substantially just the amounts of what I was eating. I am a fiend about recording every single thing that enters my mouth from a Claritin to soda to chocolate cake. More often than not at the end of the week I was over my calorie count sometimes by 10% sometimes a lot more. BUT I was losing weight and more importantly feeling a lot better. I was drinking regular Coke, eating fast food, and talking a 30 minute stroll 2-3x a week. The more I weight I lost the better I felt and the more motivated I was to try a 'heathy' option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (Klondike 100calorie bars rock)! 3 months later I'm still eating pretty much normal foods, have almost totally cut out sodas, and exercise a lot more (because I want to). I'm not where I should be eating healthy or by weight but I'm motivated by constant improvement. 40lbs gone 30lbs to go!

Yes, it's a lifestyle change and we should all eat this and not that, blah blah blah... But for me, small changes at a time have lead to big changes. If he isn't wanting to work his life around "what are we allowed to eat" just let him make a small sacrifice. Maybe, drink all the soda or eat all the chocolate he wants but DON'T go over the calorie count. Eventually, he may start opting for more filling high protein lower sugar alternative snack vs the Milky Way. Good luck and remember no matter his choices we all have our own path to walk. You can work at improving no matter what's happening around you. I'm betting if he sees that improvement in you he'll be thinking about what he can do too.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    He wanted Chinese last night and I said let's have some and just count it. When he saw how little he could eat (it is super high cal) he was bummed about it and said never mind. I am worried that this kind of eating is going to make him quit. I can see where he is coming from because he is taking all the joy out of eating when he won't let himself have what he likes just in moderation.

The main calorie hit from chinese (though it probably depends a bit on your selection) is the rice. Two cups of rice (or more) in a typical "single serve" is about four (1/2 cup) servings caloriewise. Order the entree you want and order an "extra" entree of something like "steamed vegetables" (without the rice). Eat 1/2 cup of rice from the "main" entree, plus the meat/veg/sauce with the steamed vegetable added. Spice it up, if you wish, with hot pepper or similar and (outside of sodium) you should be able to stay within your goals.

Use the leftover rice in a soup or casserole "tomorrow" (or feed it to a suitable pet if you have one)

It also might help to set your loss goal lower, so you have more calories to work with. It's a lifestyle change - something you need to be able to live with from this day forward and you have the rest of your life to reach and maintain your weight and fitness goals - in the big scheme of things, it doesn't really matter all that much if you reach it in 6 months or 6 years (so long as you can stay close to the "path").