Is this wierd

Options
Okay, so I am nursing and if you take a look at my diary I have only had 1,300 calories for today.. I did some excersise today, but I am only a little tiny bit hungry right now... not really enough to get up and get something to eat..is that wierd that I am not really hungry but have not even eaten 2,000 calories which I should probably consume to keep up with my milk supply??

Replies

• sydthekyd
    Options
    Hi Courtney,

I don't think that it's weird - appetite comes and goes as we all know. If you are only getting 1300 calories, however, make sure everyone of them is something you and your baby need. You probably know you need about an extra 500 calories a day when nursing a baby, so that means only 800 of those calories are for "you." That's not so good. Your body will look for protein from your muscles, and unfortunately, one of those muscles is your heart!
    So lay off the fats and go easy on the carbs and make sure the baby AND you get what you need to be healthy. Diet foods would be a good thing to discuss w/your doctor.
    Congrats on the new baby and your first 10 lbs!!

Syd
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hunger has a bit to do with a lot of things, not just how much you've eaten and when, although those are primary. Also, how big you stomach is (not your belly, but your actual stomach), and the mass of your last meal (not calories, but actually how much space in your stomach the food takes up). Because the stomach stretches with regular large meals, you may not be hungry as soon after eating (compared to someone else) if you usually eat small meals, and have a smaller stomach. This is because its the contraction of the stomach when food is moved into the intestines stat partially stimulates hunger, so if there is less area to contract, the contraction is less noticeable and may not trigger hunger. Also, fiber and protein take longer to digest than carbs and fat, so if you've eaten particularly heavy on the protein and fiber, you should be less hungry. Also, high temperatures are a known appetite killer, so there's that (don't know how your weathers been, but we hit 114 last week!)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I am nursing and if you take a look at my diary I have only had 1,300 calories for today.. I did some excersise today, but I am only a little tiny bit hungry right now... not really enough to get up and get something to eat..is that wierd that I am not really hungry but have not even eaten 2,000 calories which I should probably consume to keep up with my milk supply??
    I'm not sure that I'd call it 'weird' lol

But I think it's pretty important that you find a way somehow to keep your cals far closer to the 2000 to keep your milk suppy sufficient for your little one. Since eating the cals is actually for the both of you, you'll likely need to find more dense calorie rich foods. Avocados, PB, raw nuts, etc. adding those into your diary would make a huge different in building up the cals you need for the babys milk supply:flowerforyou:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby! :flowerforyou:

I really think you should talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about this, I'd not want my wife who was breast feeding, to be unsure of what she was doing, this is one case that I think you really need to talk to someone who knows there stuff.

Cheers!:smile: