Health benefits of 6 pack abs?

Options
I've lost almost 30 pounds, and now I am just focusing on toning my abs, and obliques. Now, I never cared about a 6 pack. I just want a lean, tone healthy looking stomach. But what I was wondering is is there any health benefits to having 6 pack abs (Besides you look sexier, but that isn't health)

Replies

• Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't have a six pack, far from it, but it would seem you would be likely to have a stronger set of core muscles for back support.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    its not so much the health benefits of having a six pack,

more the health benefits of not having excess belly fat?

does that makes sense?

its comparable to asking whats the benefit of having safety boots?

well the benefit is negating all the risk of not having them on?
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't have a six pack, far from it, but it would seem you would be likely to have a stronger set of core muscles for back support.

Everybody has abs. It's just a matter of whether they're covered in fat or not.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think there are certainly benefits of having a strong core and body fat in a healthy range but specifically of having a six pack? Can't really think of one.

It's a social status thing more than anything else.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    You will start to lift with your abs, taking strain from your back.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You save money on laundry.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You get visible abs from dieting down to a low body fat percentage. You can have a very strong core and it still be covered with a layer of fat. As for health benefits, there are virtually none. Visible abs are simply aesthetically pleasing and it is not necessary to have a super low body fat percentage to be healthy. Some experienced coaches and trainers actually caution against worrying about it because you end up sacrificing some strength in the process. That's not to say that being lean isn't beneficial, but there is a limit to how lean one needs to be for athletics and health and it's higher than what is required for visible abs.

That said, I get them towards the bottom of a cut but spend most of my time without them.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but i find significant prostate benefits from having a six pack.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    6 pack means more sex. More sex is good for your health.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You get visible abs from dieting down to a low body fat percentage. You can have a very strong core and it still be covered with a layer of fat. As for health benefits, there are virtually none. Visible abs are simply aesthetically pleasing and it is not necessary to have a super low body fat percentage to be healthy. Some experienced coaches and trainers actually caution against worrying about it because you end up sacrificing some strength in the process. That's not to say that being lean isn't beneficial, but there is a limit to how lean one needs to be for athletics and health and it's higher than what is required for visible abs.

QFT
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Focus on gaining a strong core, which is good for a healthy back and hips (which I just learned about) if that leads to a 6 pack. Bonus.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @ bynsky: That. Is. Hilarious!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    6 pack would promote a strong core, which aides in any compound movements and lifting (or even just running).
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A six pack isn't achieved by having especially strong or large abdominal muscles. It's achieved by a lack of fat; though exercising them will increase their size they will not be visible without a low percentage of overall bodyfat. So the benefits of having visible ab muscles would be the same as anything that somes from having a low body fat percentage.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options

Exactly.

8 pack means even more. It's scientifically proven.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 pounds, and now I am just focusing on toning my abs, and obliques. Now, I never cared about a 6 pack. I just want a lean, tone healthy looking stomach. But what I was wondering is is there any health benefits to having 6 pack abs (Besides you look sexier, but that isn't health)

Not that I know of but it sure beats a keg! :drinker: :laugh:
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Flexing burns calories. When you have abs, you have to flex whenever you pass a mirror.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    6 pack would promote a strong core, which aides in any compound movements and lifting (or even just running).

Actually, just because one has 6 pack abs does not mean they have a strong core, and just because you have a strong core doesn't mean you will have 6 pack abs. Abs are all about diet!

The majority of core muscles which aid in compound movements, provide stability and balance, support for the spine and good posture etc are not found on the exterior of the mid section. They are the underlying muscle structure that one cannot see. They run the entire length of the torso. When these muscles contract, they stabilize the spine, pelvis and shoulder girdle and create a solid base of support. They allow the body to generate powerful movements of the extremities.
    The core muscles also make it possible to stand upright and move on two feet. These muscles help control movements, transfer energy, shift body weight and move in any direction. A strong core distributes the stresses of weight-bearing and protects the back.