Baby food diet?

Options
So I've been hearing a lot about this new fad diet. The diet itself make sense, you eat baby food for breakfast and lunch then eat a sensible dinner. The baby food is portioned and on average is about 50-80 calories a jar or pouch. So I decided to try it. But I've been sticking to the fruit flavored baby foods of obvious reasons (What sounds better, apple and mango or snow peas and squash?). Anyway the average fruit pouch of baby food has 10-14 grams of sugar. Could this cause high blood sugar? I normally eat 3 baby food pouches and a small dinner. Which puts me a little less than 1000 calories a day. (The HHS says that 1000 calories is considered a safe calorie intake for weight lose in woman).

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its a fad diet and will only make long term success almost impossible. For an 18 year old women you need more than 1000 calories. If you are active, you should be eating double. The best thing you can do is eat good whole meals so you learn how to eat and then exercise (cardio and more importantly weight training). This way you mitigate muscle loss and get fit.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off eating fresh fruit or vegetables in an equivalent amount. A lot of baby food has way too much added sugar and/or salt (getting us started on bad dietary habits as soon as possible). MFP recommendations are no less than 1200 net calories per day for most people and I've read a lot of messages on these boards where people are losing weight eating quite a bit more than that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    oh my lol.

no.
    B069Ujo.gif
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly advise you against it but that's only my opinion.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    *sign* :frown:
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    seriously, who comes up with these diets?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    oh my lol.

no.
    B069Ujo.gif

It's how you lost your 153lbs, yes?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    oh my lol.

no.
    B069Ujo.gif

Every single pound. Well, baby food and ketones.. blended with a magic bullet and mixed with green coffee extract.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the monkey feces diet. It's expensive though. You either have to own a monkey or have the feces shipped.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    So I've been hearing a lot about this new fad diet. The diet itself make sense, you eat baby food for breakfast and lunch then eat a sensible dinner. The baby food is portioned and on average is about 50-80 calories a jar or pouch. So I decided to try it. But I've been sticking to the fruit flavored baby foods of obvious reasons (What sounds better, apple and mango or snow peas and squash?). Anyway the average fruit pouch of baby food has 10-14 grams of sugar. Could this cause high blood sugar? I normally eat 3 baby food pouches and a small dinner. Which puts me a little less than 1000 calories a day. (The HHS says that 1000 calories is considered a safe calorie intake for weight lose in woman).

Sure it makes sense. For a baby.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    oh my lol.

no.
    B069Ujo.gif

Every single pound. Well, baby food and ketones.. blended with a magic bullet and mixed with green coffee extract.

No baby eating? That's where you'd get your protein!

Have you SEEN baby poop? I dread to think what your poop is gonna be like on a baby food diet...
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Do you supplement with breastmilk? Or formula?

What about fiber...
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ...why not just eat an apple and some mango?:noway: :huh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow. Brings a whole new meaning to calling someone a big baby.

Well, I have my adult teeth in so I think I will just eat real food. Make sure you invest in depends or are close to a toilet at all times.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's not new. It's been around for decades. It's just a way to lower calories, If you like baby food, eat it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What sounds better, apple and mango or snow peas and squash?
    What sounds better is eating these foods whole and fresh, as in not processed and packed in a jar portioned for a BABY!

tumblr_inline_moihfuuH2G1qz4rgp.png

Key word in your post is "FAD". Are you gonna eat baby food for the rest of your life? What happens when/if you ever reach goal weight and go back to eating like a grown up?

Eat real food, more than 1000 calories a day, enough to fuel your body properly for your current height, weight and activity level. Drink water, get your exercise, get good sleep, and take rest days. Make changes that you can do for life. Temporary changes will get you temporary results.

Don't eat baby food. :noway:
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think a person probably would lose weight doing that. Just like when I lost weight doing Slim Fast (the "shake for breakfast, another one for lunch, and then a sensible dinner" diet) and those who have taken the Special K challenge have. It usually does cause weight loss. The problem is when you STOP doing it, the weight comes right back. I know my reason for doing the Slim Fast diet was that I wanted to get slim fast. :laugh: But I do know where you're at; I've been there. I wanted to get "fit for summer" instead of "fit for life". I finally figured out that the key to long-term results wasn't in a can. It's also not in a baby food jar. :wink:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How does this miracle work?!

Oh yeah, extreme calorie restriction.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    what the hell?