Low Calorie & Not Losing Weight, Gluten Free & Losing Weight

Options
All,

I am posting this question out there because I'm rather confused about what's going on with my body. I am not new to dieting. I know how to control my portions.

I had my daughter in January 2012. Since then, I've been trying to lose weight the same way that I had lost weight in the past (i.e. counting Weight Watchers points or otherwise known as a Calorie deficit diet). I have hypothyroid which was diagnosed during my pregnancy. I was tested for Celiac and I came back negative except one of the IgG markers came back weak positive. I was told that it "may" mean I have a minor gluten sensitivity but would need further testing. I did not stop eating gluten at this point. I kept eating as usual and just controlling my calories. My thyroid levels were controlled with the medication and still is but I would still not lose weight. I couldn't understand why if I was doing what I was supposed to and my thyroid was ok.

A few weeks back I had a conversation with someone about my previous lab results regarding Celiac and I was told that the weak positive result may mean that my thyroid might benefit from a gluten free diet. Ok, so I decided to give it a try for a week or so to see what happens. The ONLY change I made to my diet is that I stopped eating gluten foods. I still have my carbs in the form of white rice, beans and other gluten free items. I'm also not exercising at this time and I have a desk job. In my first week, I noticed I felt less bloated and I was waking up each day feeling lighter and lighter. It's now been 3 weeks and in that time I have lost 3 lbs not doing anything else other than avoiding gluten. Prior to this my weight has been stagnant and would be "stubborn" to move.

Now I'm not trying to say, "go on a gluten free diet to lose weight". I'm just trying to understand why this has happened to me and if anyone else experienced the same thing. Why is it easier to lose the lbs now that I went gluten free? I keep reading on websites that gluten free is not a weight loss diet but for some reason I don't yet understand why I'm able to lose weight that previously wasn't coming off. Is there anyone out there with personal experience about this?

Thanks...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You probably have a gluten sensitivity. So you body doesnt process gluten well. My wife found this out when she stopped esting gluten for a few weeks. It was amazing how much better she felt when she stopped. Her sensitivity comes with a heart condition know as POTS.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My SIL has tested positive for celiac and experienced the same weight loss, as did my two aunts and my grandmother (she changed a few other things too). I do not have a gluten sensitivity and all it did for me was cut my carbs a bit; no real weight loss.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You probably have a wheat or gluten sensitivity. If it works for you stick with it.

Not everything shows up in testing so I never bothered to have any done. I feel better and lose weight better when I do not eat wheat or other grains so I just don't eat them. Don't miss them either. Works for me. I'm the incredible shrinking lady! lol...
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you have a gluten sensitivity it can cause issues with your thyroid and also leads to overall systemic inflammation in the body, which can translate into added weight.

If you have found that this is working, don't stop as you may see a spike in symptoms you never noticed before if you introduce gluten again.

I personally think that a lot of it has to do with all the genetically modified foods we have in the US now. Scientists are constantly messing with the genes of plants and causing harm IMO. It's a scary statistic when you find out that 85% of all the corn grown in the US is genetically modified in some way, and wheat is getting to be no better. So while gluten sensitivity has always been around, I think the dramatic uptick in the number of people that are shown to be sensitive is not coincidence.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't know I had a gluten sensitivity until I quit eating it. I'm glad I did.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Never heard of gluten sensitivity. Is it classified in any medical journals? I believe a much more likely answer is that you're insulin resistance and you can test for that. Buy a blood glucose meter at any drug store for 10 dollars and test every 30 mins after eating 40grams of carbs for 2 hours. High glucose levels mean you are insulin resistant.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I was still eating gluten, breakfast of toast would leave me feeling mildly yucky - so naturally I ate more to try to feel better (addiction-like). Also, when your insides are inflamed, your body retains a "bit" of water as part of the inflammatory process (similar to how a sprained ankle balloons up) - once you start "healing" the inflammation, the extra water is not needed and passes out. That said, I don't think I lost any weight when I first went gluten free because I didn't change my lifestyle - I still ate "quantities" of junk food - it was just GF junk - bad thing here is that frequently, GF junk has more calories per unit weight than the "regular" junk.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Never heard of gluten sensitivity. Is it classified in any medical journals? I believe a much more likely answer is that you're insulin resistance and you can test for that. Buy a blood glucose meter at any drug store for 10 dollars and test every 30 mins after eating 40grams of carbs for 2 hours. High glucose levels mean you are insulin resistant.
    http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/

Is that good enough?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/

Is that good enough?

Thanks
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    According to that website, it says that there are no known medical test to determine if one is Gluten Sensitive. So I'm still going to suggest something that you can actually test for, insulin resistance.
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just because you can't test for something doesn't make it not real.
  • jmarie1967
    jmarie1967 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest to anyone reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I just started reading it on a friends recommendation and it is truly eye opening. It gives a great history on wheat and what wheat currently is, and this Cardiologist believes that Americans are ALL wheat intolerant to varying degrees. It's a very interesting book and since I've been doing very low carb, (very little wheat) and feel so much better, I really think there is something to this.....
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

The reason I suggest insulin resistance because it is much more well documented, researched, and studied in the medical field. In addition to that, Gluten is a key ingredient in many products that contain carbs. Gluten sensitivity might actually be a thing but where it exist right now, no one can say for sure. All I'm suggesting to the OP is that she test for something that is well documented and if it comes back as negative, than maybe it is Gluten Sensitivity but at least we have ruled out something that is well documented and related to what she has been eating.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options

I don't see how it could be insulin resistance since I am eating carbs. As a matter of fact, I am eating similarly the same amount of carbs as before when I wasn't losing weight. Again, the only change I did was eliminate gluten while still continuing to count points.

Your point is valid. I think it did cross my mind a couple of times but I was already eating low calorie and my blood work would usually show I was in the low-mid 80s which is a normal value. Also I wasn't eating any differently now then I was then. I substituted my bread with gluten free bread. I'm still eating rice and beans and tortilla chips, tortillas (homemade), etc. I didn't completely elimanate carbs.

All I can say is that in addition to my weight loss and feeling lighter I have also now become "regular" while in the past I would even have constipation. Also my heels are starting to feel smoother and they have a history of being cracked and dry all the time. I guess I'm trying to find out if there are others out there who experienced similar changes in their body when they stopped eating gluten.
  • Juliane_
    Options
    I didn't know I had a gluten sensitivity until I quit eating it. I'm glad I did.

what changes did you notice?
  • Juliane_
    Options
    Oh...I also used to wake up to tingling hands and/or feet. I thought it might have been related to thyroid too but I'm no longer feeling that tingling since I changed my diet. I'll continue to monitor and see if it comes back. Is this a normal symptom with gluten sensitivity?
  • psuLemon
    Options

The reason I suggest insulin resistance because it is much more well documented, researched, and studied in the medical field. In addition to that, Gluten is a key ingredient in many products that contain carbs. Gluten sensitivity might actually be a thing but where it exist right now, no one can say for sure. All I'm suggesting to the OP is that she test for something that is well documented and if it comes back as negative, than maybe it is Gluten Sensitivity but at least we have ruled out something that is well documented and related to what she has been eating.

Unfortunately, gluten intolerance and insulin resistance are completely different. My wife is intolerant to gluten but not insulin resistant. For my wife, its from a heart condition. You generally see insulin resistance when combined with a condition like pcos. Essentially, different medical conditions with different symptoms. I get that you can have both but the OP used an elimination diet to figure it out. Since she only changed one variable, it would suggest gluten issues not carbs as she mentioned.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Oh...I also used to wake up to tingling hands and/or feet. I thought it might have been related to thyroid too but I'm no longer feeling that tingling since I changed my diet. I'll continue to monitor and see if it comes back. Is this a normal symptom with gluten sensitivity?
    I dont know if that is normal but my wife gets extremely lethargic and takes a lot of naps. She also got a gluten free shampoo and soap and now she doesnt get a dry scalp or itchy skin.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid as well. I have been reading that gluten can hinder the absorption of the thyroid hormone making the medication less effective. It is still a theory and it is not common practive for doctors to make dietary suggestions to hypothyroid patients. If this theory is true, then when you go gluten-free your medication is actually effective resulting in an improvemnet of hypothyroid symptoms. One of the most annoying sypmtoms of hypothyroid is the weight gain/difficulty losing weight. It is very interesting to hear how you are having weightloss results, giving some credibility to this theory.

I have always been against fad-diets and my initial reaction to all the current gluten-free hoopla was that it is just stupid. But now I am considering going gluten-free to see if it helps with my hypothyroid issues...but I love pasta and baked goods...
  • paomiamifl
    paomiamifl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm no The same bota as you!
    I've been at this for around 1.5 years, only signed up to this site a year ago.
    I've been able to track my glutenized episodes and it's seen in my spikes of weight gain or inability to lose! For example: last 6 months...first three I lost like 12.5 pounds, last three? 5. FIVE measly pounds without changing absolutely ANY food quantity, expect today hubby and I realized we'd been cooking with spices made in a facility that processes gluten. It's been consistent weight loss f more than a pound every week I'm not glutened, these past three months, a nightmare!
    Even though I don't have a "medical diagnosis" I honestly believe I don't need a doctor to confirm what I'm confirming and benefiting from on a weekly basis for around 1.5 years.
    Gluten makes me hold on to fat and water in my body. Gives me debilitating migraines, lack of concentration (to the point that I simply cannot read more than 4 lines without having to go back and re-read because I have no clue what I'm reading.
    I must add this is a nightmare situation in my life, as I'm an ESL teacher and so concentrating, reading, retaining information and anything to do with language are my livelihood. Best of luck, add me and maybe we can help each other out! I've lost 90 pounds simply by reducing portions, and going gluten free. Before gluten free, I'd eat less, reduce portions, etc and would only manage to lose 5 pounds in 6 months, only to gain 3 times as much in the following two. My thyroid is perfect, no diabetes, no heart disease, do I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt, the issue - for me - was gluten!